New to Jon Boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyP

Reaction score
I joined this site last night cause I knew I was gonna be buying a new Jon boat today. I bought a 14' Tracker Topper Jon boat. I've bought a 5hp Briggs outbound from my brother earlier this year. I don't plan on doing much to the boat other than a fish finder, a battery, covering the floor with wood and maybe a trolling motor.

Well here are a few pics, I'll get more tomorrow.
20120903_190735.jpg

20120903_190655.jpg

20120903_190722.jpg

Not a very good picture but I got a low profile light for the front and put the accessory battery up front.
20120904_195950.jpg

More modifications to come!

I worked a half day today so when I got home I finished up installing my seat and hooked up my fish finder to the battery and hit the water. I does ok but the motor seems like it is bogged down when running wide open throttle. A guy at work suggested putting a different pitched prop on but I don't think that they make different sized props for the B&S outboards. I can't even find a pitch stamped on the one I have now. Other than the motor lugging down I love the boat.

A easy fix for your outboard bogging down is this :lol:

The boat is looking good! My next boat im gonna buy new hopefully.(Or atleast better shape than what mine was in!) Im tired of the prep work!

Attachments

• Mercury Outboard.jpg
    Mercury Outboard.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 9,287
That motor would sink the boat! LOL If I had the money I would get either a 9.9 or 15 four stroke mercury. As far as my motor bogging down my guess is that um... I weigh 330lbs plus the extra weight of the battery in the front. The motor did a little better if I stood up and leaned forward and transferred my weight more towards the front of the boat.

It's just one battery and yeah it's in the front. I plan on putting a foot controlled trolling motor in the front before long, I don't know that the added weight to the front will make a difference though.

Well I enjoyed the my day off of work today. Most of my day was spent in my boat. I was trying to catch fish and wound up not catching anything, oh well I still had a good time enjoying mother nature and thinking of things I could do to the boat to make it more enjoyable. Carpet covered floors and carpet on the bench seats cause those things get hot!! So my list of mods to come would be a seat for the front bench, carpet on the floor and benches, switch panel for lights and fish finder, a trolling motor on the bow and eventually a bigger motor but no time soon though. Almost forgot about a trailer just for the boat instead of using my utility trailer to lug it around.
20120906_075155.jpg

20120906_094005.jpg

Sounds crazy, but some sand bags in the front will help a lot.

My dad uses a 48 quart cooler for a live well and keeps it (3/4 full of water) in the front of his 12' to keep the nose down. Also mount batteries and keep your anchors and anything else heavy in the front until you need it.

These lil boats like to be level in the water.

I was talking to one of my neighbors about it and he also suggested getting concrete bags and putting in the front to pull the front down. I will be trying this out soon! I use the ice chest that's in my boat for storage for my jugs and life jackets, I may clean it out and make it into a livewell one of these days.

welcome aboard! youve got a good boat to modify.... lots of potential! check out any of my three builds and feel free to ask any questions! enjoy!!!

Hi Casey, Welcome to Tin Boats. Weight is not our friend especially when it comes to aluminum boats.
For trimming out your rig, the cooler up front idea fits, since you can add water until it trims right and
empty it as you add gear as time goes on. I just looked up the tracker 1436 and it is rated for 15HP
max. so that 5HP Briggs is a little enemic for expecting it to plane. On the other hand, I'll bet that thing
will run all day on a gallon of gas :) Jerry

Jonboat Jerry said:
Hi Casey, Welcome to Tin Boats. Weight is not our friend especially when it comes to aluminum boats.
For trimming out your rig, the cooler up front idea fits, since you can add water until it trims right and
empty it as you add gear as time goes on. I just looked up the tracker 1436 and it is rated for 15HP
max. so that 5HP Briggs is a little enemic for expecting it to plane. On the other hand, I'll bet that thing
will run all day on a gallon of gas :) Jerry

As a matter of fact it used about a gallon and a half after running for 10 hours in two days. If I had the money I would get at least a 9.9 or a 15 but I don't so I'm stuck with the 5 for a little while.

On another note I ran the wires from the battery in the front of the boat to the back where my switch panel will be along with the front navigation light wire, this evening. I also started working on the mount for trolling motor I scored for free (a pull off from a customers boat), its a motor guide 46lb pro series foot controlled bow mount. I have also acquired a Guest onboard charger that I still need to mount and hook up to my battery.

Well here are a few pics of the accesories that I'm putting on my boat.

The charger

20120915_100109.jpg

The switch panel

20120915_100145.jpg

The trolling motor

20120915_095714.jpg

20120915_095736.jpg

I cut the wood out for the front deck that the trolling motor will be bolted to, and also bought some indoor/outdoor carpet to cover it with.

20120915_095619.jpg

20120915_095655.jpg

I aquired another trolling motor from work but it needs a few parts so it will work right. I'm keeping this one for a back up.

20120915_095828.jpg

Latest posts