Bean Counter's 1448 Crestliner mod - completed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean Counter

Reaction score
I had a house fire in January that destroyed my old jon boat, a Generation III 1236 that I had modified. My homeowners insurance would only cover $1,000 so I looked around until I found a boat in that price range. I came up with this 1448 Crestliner. It has a trailer, a 1970 20 hp Johnson outboard, 36 lb thrust motor guide TM and a Humminbird 200DX fish Finder.

The Good:
Hull has no leaks and is in very good condition
TM works
FF works
trailer in good condition.

The bad:
All wood needs to be replaced
Needs to be completely rewired
Motor Hasn't run in 3 yrs & covered in dirt daubers and cobwebs
Trailer has rust & will need to be cleaned up and painted

The Boat
sternbefore.jpg

Bowbefore.jpg

bow2before.jpg

The trailer

trailerbow.jpg

trailer.jpg

The motor

motor1.jpg

Dirt daubers & cobwebs

motor2.jpg

motor3.jpg

motor4.jpg

motor5.jpg

The first thing I did was take everything off theBoat to get ready for the mod

sternafter.jpg

bowafter.jpg

Needs to be cleaned up. This trash was under the old floor.

trash.jpg

The motor on the stand I built. Probably over built.

motorstand.jpg

Planning to deck across the front seat to the bow,replace the flooring, rewire & put a bigger TM on the bow and a TM on the stern for the electric only lakes I fish.

I will update with more pics as I go along.

Looks like a great project - you are going to love 1448 compared to the 1236 - Good luck and keep us update with lots of pictures.

and oh love the vise grip shift handle

Welcome! Looks like a good buy. My first boat was a Crestliner, they are good boats. Look forward to seeing your build. Lots of good folks here to help you out.

Congrats on the new combo.
That boat cleaned-up nicely.
I see great carpentry skills in
your outboard stand alone.
I have none, but love watching the
mods on this site. :LOL2:
Look forward to seeing your progress.
Thanks for sharing.

Are those vice grips on the shift handle? That's funny because my '66 20 HP johnson came the same way. Ordered a part for $30 (guessing here) from South Central Outboards and it's back in business. Nice boat btw, you'll love the 1448.

thanks everyone. I am really looking forward to this mod. It is almost as much fun as fishing in it when it is done.

Ictalurus. Yes, those are vicegrips on the shift handle. I am ordering a new one along with other parts to get it running. Although, I may just leave it like this. I think it gives it character lol.

I went to West Marine yesterday to get parts for the boat. Man, the price on this stuff sure has gone up!

parts.jpg

I have the rest of the week off from work, so I will finally get started on the boat. More pictures coming later this week.

Your rotted wood/carpet pictures are what I'm afraid will happen to me if I carpet. I don't keep the boat inside, but I do have an old canvas boat cover I use between fishing trips. Do you think that will be enough to keep me high and dry, or will we be sitting on wet carpet every time we go on a fishing trip :?:
You worked hard on your stand compared to me; I went the simple route with my stand, but it's stable, and cheap!

Attachments

• stand 001 (480x640).jpg
    stand 001 (480x640).jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 4,047
Scott,
nice photo. your stand is indeed simple, but the garden foot path adds a touch of elegance. add a little pond and maybe some goldfish and you have yourself a nice tinboater grotto.

I finally got enough done on my honey do list to get some work done on the boat.

Got the deck framed.

IMAG0162.jpg

Ran all the wires and installed the switches for the nav lights, anchor light, live well and bilge pump.

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

Started wiring the fuse box.

IMAG0195.jpg

I am going to try to get the wiring finished and deck on this week.

More pics coming soon.

I finally got around to working on the boat. Finished the decks and floor and the wiring. I used 2x3's for the frame. The two casting decks are out of 19/32 exterior plywood. The floor and front deck are 15/32. I was trying to hold the weight down as low as possible and was a little concerned that it would flex too much. But, It has no flex in the casting decks and I weigh 250 lbs. So I guess it is going to be OK.

This is the template I made for the front casting deck. I didn't take pics of the other templates.

template.jpg

Two pics of the front deck in process

Bowdeck1.jpg

Bowdeck2.jpg

The floor

floor.jpg

The rear casting deck

sterndeck.jpg

Two pics of the whole boat

bowview.jpg

sternview.jpg

I still need to seal everything with spar urithane, Carpet and install the hinges on the hatches. I also need to install the rear pedistall and cut a port for access to the fuse box.

Nice progress. When you add the carpet it'll definitely be a looker. Can't wait to get a chance to build a flat bottom one of these days.

Looks great. the floor and deck really look good! are you planning on hinging the hatches or making them removable hatches?

That's looking great. The deck and supports are really clean and well-though-out.
Pretty much in line with what I'd expect from a fellow bean-counter!

finally got around to posting pictures of my completed boat.

Three coats of urethane on all wood.
urithane.jpg

Decks sealed
sealeddecks.jpg

Supports for hatch covers. Angle aluminum screwed to 2x3s.
Bowhatchsupports.jpg

Supports painted.
Bowhatchsupports2.jpg

Completed fuse box.
completefusebox.jpg

Carpeted decks.
carpeteddecks.jpg

Decks carpeted. hatches still to do.
hatchcoversnotdone-1.jpg

Hatches finished.
carpetfrombow.jpg

carpetfromstern.jpg

Stern hatch
sternhatch.jpg

I will take some pictures on the water the next time I take it out.

Latest posts