jon mod question. This may be silly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoeconner

Reaction score
I just picked up a free jon boat. Its 12' and like 42" wide. Sorry the boats not here right now so Im not sure whats he width. The top is 48" wide. I want a boat were I can have a deck and stand up on and fish. After reading past post Im not sure if mine will work. If not. I also have a 1032 boat. Has anyone ever made a boat wider out of two boats. What do you guys think?

thanks

Also what makes a boat stable? Is it its width? Welding the boat wont be any trouble. I could put in new ribs and when I fame it for a deck it will be very strong. Please let me know. I might start cutting aout tomorrow.

You would be money, time and frustration (and possibly 2 ruined boats) ahead to just sell the two of them and get yourself a wider 14 footer.....

width is the primary factor in how stable your boat is going to be.

Quackrstackr said:
You would be money, time and frustration (and possibly 2 ruined boats) ahead to just sell the two of them and get yourself a wider 14 footer.....

width is the primary factor in how stable your boat is going to be.

The above is the best advice anyone can give you! :D

Good luck,

If I didnt do any thing to it can I still put a deck on it?
Also Im a welder and a fabricator. This job would be easy for me. I just what to know if it will be more stable if I did this. If you say yes then Im going to do this.

zoeconner said:
If I didnt do any thing to it can I still put a deck on it?
Also Im a welder and a fabricator. This job would be easy for me. I just what to know if it will be more stable if I did this. If you say yes then Im going to do this.

Not safely! Put a simple floor on the 12 footer to make it easier to get around, or as above, sell both and get a bigger boat.

Hey man, the wider the boat the better is right. I have a 12 foot Waco thats 36 inches wide. I havent started building my decks yet either I'm waiting for the primer to dry so that I can paint. But I not exactly building a deck across the top of the boat I am doing more of a sunken floor design where the deck will not rest right against the floor but it will be below the top of my middle seat. I think this should add to the stability of the boat but I dont plan on standing up a whole lot and casting, I will stand up and move around when I need to stretch. But if you are really content with the boat you have I say go for it and get to building, that's what I'm gonna do but my boat was free.. lol

Well I did it. I started to take everything out. I will post pics as I go. Also Im not going to use my other boat. Im just going to use alum. sheets. What ideal width should I go for. I was thinking around 52". What do you guys think?

You're planning to make the deck wider than the boat? :-k

I don't think that's a very good idea, but then that's just me. [-X

No I was thinking on making the floor 52" wide. The width on the top will be about 60". How wide do you think I should do.

Here is what I done so far. Sorry for the black and white

Attachments

• IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 18,862
  • IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 18,925
holy moly man...now thats a gut job;blank canvas
definitly going to have to do something to it now
I'm not sure what you mean by 52 inches wide or 60,if you mean length I kinda understand,so keep us posted
Unless you mean splitting the boat and widen it,seen it done with fiberglass on bigger boats,probably been done on smalller aluminum boats...be interesting if thats what your thinking

can't wait to see what you have planned

I would say go for it but make sure you put some stringers on that thing man. If you put that boat in the water right now like that it's gonna fold up like a taco lol

What is the floor called in a boat. Thats what I want to make about 52" wide. Do you see any problems with it? Yes I plan to use angle flipped upside down and welded on the floor for new ribs.

Cool project! Looks like a lot of work though. 52" should be plenty stable, you will more than likely have first 1252 aluminum jon boat on the planet =D> .

some of the prior replies through me a bit...splitting it and widen it is something I havnt seen done here,can't see why it would be a problem...keeping it square would probably be the hardest thing,I like your angle iron for the stringers and ribs
I think its going to be a cool project,52 inches wide is close to or equal to some 16foot boats,should be pretty stable.
Keep us posted with pictures

Heres some more pics. Got the inside all welded. Im welding all the rivets that was used for the ribs and seats. I do not want to mess with rivets and welding is alot easier for me. Tomorrow is D-day. You should see some pics with the boat cut in half. Ha Ha!!!

Also I was given a 41lb. trowling motor. How do you think it will push it?

Attachments

• IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 5,486
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 5,458
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 5,518
Hey man, so ready for you to cut it. Its gonna be awesome if it works out. As far as the 41 lb. thrust trolling motor goes, it should do fine. It really all depends on how much weight you put in the boat, such as decking, outboard, angle iron, etc... I have a 40 lb. thrust on my 12 ft. jon boat and I really think I could outrun a 4 horse motor if I was in it by myself. But all the extra weight can sure drag one down. I have a 67 lb thrust on my bass boat. My big boat weighs close to 2100 lbs. and it the trolling motor does well except in heavy winds. Just make sure when you mount your trolling motor, put it on the front. Most trolling motors are designed to pull not push.

Latest posts