Mon Ark 1648 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcaswell

Reaction score
Boys I just finished up a 1436 mod and I think I'm getting into a new project in this '85 1648 mon ark. Solid Jon with heavy duty ribbing. Got to restore first before decking etc.

It's got some serious pitting going on and I will need to clean up the livewell. Is there a good post that lays how how to go through a full restore a-z-- regarding old paint removal, sanding, prep, painting , aluminum restore etc? How best to clean up the livewell?

Thanks Jim

1436 mod
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27844

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 4,614
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 4,613
I just got an old boat that I need to fix up so hopefully I can use some of this build on mine. I got some holes that need to be looked at to see if this boat is worth fixing.

Tinny Experts---

Ok Im tinkering with some ideas here for this 1985 1648. She is built really solid and the ribs alone I believe make the boat stable.

The boat has a steering wheel and old mount in place, that wont be hard to move but what will the costs be to get "extension" cables for steering wheel to move the console fwd? Is this an easy fix or will i need a whole new steering system.

I want a three man setup and want everyone to have room and use the width of the boat as best I can. So I am debating between a true center console and front right console. Im debating between using the exisiting well in middle bench or tearing it out. I would really like a fully rounded tank for the blueback herrings but rectangular is ok..

the fishing i do requires good access to the rod holders and so I dont want to mount the the front and back seats to the top deck, they will be at floor level, plus its much better stability and with only 20'' walls the reach to cast etc isnt bad at all. plus you dont have to bend down to grab a live rod. See pics and Plans Below! thanks as always ! look fwd to yalls input !!

Attachments

• back.JPG
    back.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 4,485
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 4,483
  • 1648 Jon Set up.png
    1648 Jon Set up.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 4,484
I am not sure what you want to do with the steering, but there is really no good way to extend the cable. Steering cables are relatively cheap. I put a brand new teleflex 33c cable in my 21' center console 45 bucks. If you plan on making it a center console the old cable might just have enough scope to move to the location. I looks like there is some slack in the cable itself.
You should be able to re-use the wheel, and might even fab the old side console into a center console....that cable looks to be in good shape from the pics.

i agree, thanks bud-

Now i am debating where to put the Fish finder. If im solo I sure like it up front but with a crew and while driving I would want to mount it on the steering console, decsions!

where can I get a cheap windshield to fab to this existing steering console, I will have to mod the console for the throttle

Most box stores have plexi-glass. I bought a small piece a few years back and cut the shape that I wanted. I would guess with some aluminum angle iron you could easily put together a windshield cheaper than one purchased from the online places. BTW sure is nice to see your starting from bare bones.....that is what I did. It has been a long time but each step makes me feel better about finishing my project. Good luck take lots of pics for us. Oh by the way I like your design #1 if that counts for anything.

ROD HOLDERS and RAILS

I am debating on how to do this, in a solid, well built fashion- and cheap!

I like the driftmaster holders as they are made well, easy to use, etc. $15 a pop. plus if you use there mounts $10 each mount.

I want to build a rail like others have done, but do so cheaply as well as solid. The driftmaster T bars are $60 so i might save alot of time and work just doing that, but If i can get it done for less than the $120 in T bars ill mod myself. Plus the T bars just have the one center bar so it might not be as stable as I want.

Any ideas/ Feedback would be awesome and or cheap alum sources besides the nice stuff at west marine and home depot. those parts ADD up quick.

Attachments

• rod railings for rod holders Mod idea.png
    rod railings for rod holders Mod idea.png
    410.2 KB · Views: 4,409
  • boat plan rod holders rails.png
    boat plan rod holders rails.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 4,408
  • rod railings for rod holders.png
    rod railings for rod holders.png
    314.9 KB · Views: 4,410
Quick video showing how the rails work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cbZIlywes

Have you considered mounting the holders to the gunwale or a flat surface in the boat instead of a rail?

I had a few objectives to meet when I designed them:
- I like to anchor fish from the stern of the boat so that the bow is pointing into the current or wind
- Holders can't be in the way when not in use because my boat is small.
- Holders need to be close to the seats so that you don't have to move a lot to get to them when fishing.
- Holders have to be inside the gunwales of the boat. From a bird's eye view the holders can't be outside of the boat.
- Have to be strong enough to handle a 70+lb catfish (biggest so far on them is about 40lbs).

After a year or more and several design concepts in Google Sketchup and thought experiments (I spent hours sitting in the boat in the driveway pretending I was fishing!), I came up with these. My advice would be to create a list of requirements for your fishing needs and go from there.

Attachments

• holders.jpg
    holders.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 4,398
AWESOME setup-

I have been debating, the costs of Modding a system vs buying a pre fab setup and bc my system will only have 2 rods per back side, 4 total. and I will be flush mounting to the deck inside the boat for sure and not the rails. I might just buy this below

the T500 and the T009 are great, and when you add up the rod holders (base) alone the costs make since, say $40, PLUS i dont have to mod anything. The T009 system is $58 at this great site- shipping cheap- I can building anything that cheap esp at this quality level.

check it out if ya care! Thanks man!

https://bottomdwellerstackle.com/driftmaster_tbars.htm

The driftmaster T's are nice. If you go with the shorter unit, the solid rod is fine. With the taller units I recommend the ones that have a tube for the upright. The taller units with solid rod upright vibrate A LOT when you're running.

The star bases are nice because you can remove the entire T pretty easily. You could buy a few extra bases and move the holders around as needed.

There are a lot of good rod holders on the market, but in my opinion Driftmaster's are the best all around.

I agree thanks RiverBottom.

Wire Question-

If I have my trolling battery in the center bench( big group 23?) , and my trolling motor on the front bow, that means I would have to run roughly 10' feet of wire from battery to motor- is this ok to have the length that long? Def adding a amp breaker up front.

Jim

I think you'll be fine. I had to run wires 25' for a 36 volt TM I had on a center console. There is an amperage drop after extended runs and up grade in wire size. You can find charts on these things on West Marine or other sights, but at 10' I think it would be nominal.

And so it begins! Hope to get her all done in a month or two.

Just go her in the garage and ready to begin!

I briefly tested some of that Klean-Strip® KS-3 Premium Stripper I picked up at wal-mart. Its def gets the paint off. It will need a thicker application for some of the floor as its got some factory slip resistant grit to it. THe stuff bubbles up quicker than 15 minutes and its ready to scrap around 5 minutes. At 15 minutes (as directions say) the stuff has already hardened back up and wont remove paint- temp today- it was low 60's in Atlanta this morning.

The existing steering wheel and throttle wiring will need to be extended to be re-mounted as a center console. Ive either got to extend all of those cables or buy a new system. I dont even know where to being with disconnecting it, I got myself a project! The system is all nicely wired from the motor to the throttle/wheel in a very professional / factory manner and I dont want to screw it up. Any help would be great on that!

Attachments

• 1 boat.JPG
    1 boat.JPG
    785.4 KB · Views: 4,198
  • 1 console.jpeg
    1 console.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 4,198
  • 1 removing old paint.JPG
    1 removing old paint.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 4,198
  • 1 steering system wires.jpeg
    1 steering system wires.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 4,198
After doing much research and study about my steering system and my control box I now understand what i got. Thank goodness my in place control box has a 14' electrical harness run- so the only thing that needs replacing is the throttle and shift cables. Which I can replace the existing 9' cables with 14' for roughly $60

Cables- https://www.go2marine.com/item/98977/control-cables-model-cc179-replaces-cc635-for-mercury-controls-cc17914.html

TINXPERTS- Question---

The cable run is to a center console and I dont want to run out and around the gunwale, I want to run down to floor, up the spine and then up to center console where the side mount control box will be located. this is alot of bends and turns-

A) CAN I DO THIS? Is is smart? etc.
B) How much room will I need for the wide bends? as the cables cant just be bent 90 degrees etc. as in will the stick out

See Pic- I guess I got the same issue with the steering cable too?

Attachments

• Control Box Cable Run Diagram.png
    Control Box Cable Run Diagram.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,269
I know you've got your center console build already started, but have you tested what it's like to get around that console while on the water? Putting all your weight that close to the edge of the boat can have some very undesirable results depending on your weight, how much the boat is loaded with, etc.

I hear that! at 200lbs i rock it a bit but nothing too bad. because of the width its really stable and there is alot of room (physcically) to get around it as well.

I had a 1436 and had a seat and or a cooler installed in the center bench and it required the same thing, walking around the edge of the boat, yes the boat sways a bit but it wasnt unreasonable even on that boat.

thats a reason I am going with the larger boat as well, bc of the better stability.

You can feed your steering cables under the deck. I recommend that you use a 1 1/2 pvc pipe for a chase tube secured under the deck. You can make long sweeping 90's back up to the motor and on you throttle body.

THanks Big Wave.

Coming along got some work done this weekend.

FYI --- WholeSale Marine has AWESOME PRICES https://www.wholesalemarine.com/

There steering and control cables are 10% cheaper, their driftmaster rod holders are way cheaper than everybody else- and thats all I have purchased from them so far. plus they have a 10% coupon code- welcomemarine10 !!

Attachments

• Boat II.JPG
    Boat II.JPG
    646.4 KB · Views: 1,243

Latest posts