? about flasher type finder application/uses

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMichael

Reaction score
Does or has anyone used a flasher fish finder on their boat. I know that some of the other type have a display mode that they call flasher but I'm talking about one like a vexilar. After reading an article, I'm under the impression they are better for finding fish in heavy cover. So I'm wondering what anyones experience with that has been.

I had my Vexliar FL-20 upfront with transducer on my old boat. It worked great if anchored and vertical jigging like ice fishing, one can see fish follow and react to lure better. But if moving it was used more for depth and finding weed edges then spotting fish. When moving a graph as you know one sees a arc and where on a flasher it's just another blip on screen. When moving also a graph hold information longer on screen, one does not have to watch it continuously.

i like to use my real time sonar window on my HB, works just like a flasher when your anchored and just as good as any flasher ive seen...

shawnfish said:
i like to use my real time sonar window on my HB, works just like a flasher when your anchored and just as good as any flasher ive seen...
What is the bottom end unit that offers that feature and what is it called exactly?

Just about all the mid range finders offer some kind of "digital flasher", but to get the most out of it you really need a color FF. There's just too much going on in B/W to really see the separation IMO.

I know all of the Elite (4,5&7) series from Lowrance have the flasher, it's under the SPLIT/FLASHER section in the sonar menu. All of the color 'birds (385, 5xx, 7xx) have them also, I think you have to enable the "ICE" function in the advanced menu to see it.

Until I got my HDS7 on my boat, I used my Marcum VX almost exclusively, for all the reasons Wallijig mentioned. I was temped again to dig it out for crappie fishing this fall - just need to get a transducer mounted on a boom somehow so I can get it directly where I want it...

wihil said:
Just about all the mid range finders offer some kind of "digital flasher", but to get the most out of it you really need a color FF. There's just too much going on in B/W to really see the separation IMO.

I know all of the Elite (4,5&7) series from Lowrance have the flasher, it's under the SPLIT/FLASHER section in the sonar menu. All of the color 'birds (385, 5xx, 7xx) have them also, I think you have to enable the "ICE" function in the advanced menu to see it.

Until I got my HDS7 on my boat, I used my Marcum VX almost exclusively, for all the reasons Wallijig mentioned. I was temped again to dig it out for crappie fishing this fall - just need to get a transducer mounted on a boom somehow so I can get it directly where I want it...

I have a 'Bird 798ci SI rigged portable, and the flasher view is enabled or disabled on the views tab.
HB798ciSI03a.jpg

I can use either my 797c2 SI or my 798ci SI on the portable pack, but when you have internal GPS on one, why bring the other??? :evil: :twisted:

HB797_798_02rs.jpg

I think you can pickup a Lowrance Elite 4 for around $200 if memory serves... I like my 4000 watts - even if I need a 12 AH/ 12V battery to run it all day!

A 797c with SI? I never knew they had such a model without GPS - that's pretty neat....

The Elite 4 (Color with GPS) sells around 280ish, the Elite 4x (Color no GPS) is in the 170's. You may be thinking of the Mark 4 (B/W with GPS), that's around 200 or less.

Latest posts