Q-14 (semi V) AeroCraft Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott Mac said:
I've been a little concerned that my 1957 10 hp Johnson would struggle getting my project up on a plane because of the added weight so I set out in search for a more powerful motor. Not that there is anything wrong with my 10 horse but running on a plane is where its at. After countless hours of searching, calling and e-mailing I found a dimond in the rough (there is a ton of rough out there). I picked up an original unmolested 1963 18 hp Johnson and I can now get back to work finishing the task at hand.

The new motor looks great. Nice Find. =D>

I have used that 24 volt (GC2 size) battery before but not on a boat yet. I will be testing it out this spring on my minn kota 24 volt motor. We have put them in golf carts with amazing results. Golf carts require 48 volts and we have done both (2) sets of 24 volt batteries or (4) 48 volt batteries. We have reduced the weight of (4) 12 volt batteries by 30%, reduced the charge time by 50% and increased the capacity by 30%. It is a lead acid - bipolar battery that we are getting ready to market very soon. We build them in Clare, MI and that is where I work.

Scott, you have done a really good job on your tin. I have an old Lonestar that I will use some your ideas on. Keep up the good work

Thanks BrazosDon,
I have to get back to work on it, there is sooo much to do. I see you have a couple older OMC motors. I have been very pleased with that older iron they tend to be reliable, easy to work on, great looking and you can still get parts. How do you like yours? Thanks for the nice words.

I got these two motors this last summer. The big one is a '57 Evenrude 18hp and the smaller one is a '59 Johnson 3hp. My mechanic said both of the motors had good compression and less than 10 hours on each one, like brand new. I got less than $800.00 in both of them. Not a bad deal. I have them on an '74 Alumicraft 14'x48" MV.

Do you feel that that 18 hp does the job? I hope that my '63 it will allow me to get on plane. I will have to wait for a few months because we are icing up around here. That was a great deal you found there. They don't make em like that any more, so hold on to them.

Scott, to answer your question about how the my boat runs with the 18hp motor. First I have not made any structural mods on it yet, but I fish with two to three other friends in it and it gets up and planes at about 22 mph, plus. Good enough for me. Hope that helps you.

Hey 798hand,
We are just starting to build them for production. I think it will be around 6 to 8 weeks before my boss will let me sell any. We have a standing order for almost as many as we can make as of today. I will let you know when they come available.

Started back into the project today after about a week off. It got up to a blistering 39 today so I pulled out the barrel and dropped the new (1963) motor in it. This motor has not been run in over 25 years according to the seller. I drained the gear case and everything looked good, no water or metal (I stirred it with a magnet) I put some fresh gear lube in and capped it off. Yesterday I pulled the plugs and put some sea foam in each cylinder and worked it in by pulling on the rope several times then let it set overnight. Came in this morning and put about an ounce of sea foam back into the cylinders and let it set for about 10 min. Threw some new champion plugs in her, said a prayer and started to pull. To my surprise she fired up on the fourth pull. It ran rough for a while coughed and stalled several times but each time ran a little better. I forgot to mention I put 3 gallons of fresh gas mixed 25:1 and about 1.5 oz. of sea foam per gallon in the tank. After messing with the slow idle setting for a while she started to run good. I found the sweet spot and reeved her up slightly and let it run for about 45 minutes. It smoked quite a bit from the sea foam but sounded good. I then dropped the RPM's and sprayed some more sea foam directly into the carb as it was running. It started to run even better after about 3 squirts. That sea foam is some good stuff, it is the first time I tried it and it made me a believer. I let it set out side at 39 degrees for about an hour pulled the choke and started it with less than half a pull. Cleaned it up and called it good, I say she’s ready for spring. I then got out the spar and brushed some on in areas that needed it and started to wire the electronics that need it prior to carpet and bolting it together. I can see the light in the tunnel.

Started in on the carpet today. We started with the bow deck, the bow floor and the mid section floor. We just glued the flat surface and will glue and wrap the edges after the flat area is dry. We used a bakers roller to apply initial application pressure and then put sheets of wood on top to distribute the load. Because we work in the battery industry we have lots of weights available (my poor back).

Attachments

• Dead Phish 1-21-13 (4).JPG
    Dead Phish 1-21-13 (4).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,752
  • Dead Phish 1-21-13 (2).JPG
    Dead Phish 1-21-13 (2).JPG
  • Dead Phish 1-21-13 (1).JPG
    Dead Phish 1-21-13 (1).JPG
  • Dead Phish 1-21-13 (3).JPG
    Dead Phish 1-21-13 (3).JPG
"At that time I will hit it with some aluminum mag cleaner then wax the crap out of it."

What wax will you use?

Did you consider that vinyl covering instead of carpet?

After letting the weight work on the carpet for just short of 24 hours we glued the edges using 3M 1099 adhesive because it dries quickly and sticks very well. I used stainless steel staples to help hold the edges tight while it dryed. We then dropped the peices in place and called it a day. I am very happy with the way it looks and feels. I am using outdoor carpet glue I purchased from the local "Do It Best Hardware". It is compatible with rubber backed marine carpet and it was only about $34.00/gal. with no shipping charges. I am also using the 20 oz. weight carpet I ordered online and it appears to be good and easy to work with. I think it will be comfortable.

Attachments

• Dead Phish 1-22-13 (1).JPG
    Dead Phish 1-22-13 (1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,739
  • Dead Phish 1-22-13 (2).JPG
    Dead Phish 1-22-13 (2).JPG
  • Dead Phish 1-22-13 (3).JPG
    Dead Phish 1-22-13 (3).JPG
Spent my Sunday gluing carpet and getting things ready to start the final assembly. There is still a lot of fitting and odds and ends but it is really starting to come together. I have to trim some of hatches because they are very tight but the beard trimmer should get me the clearances I need. I will be using stainless continuous hinge (piano hinge) on the hatches. I still have to mount and run the transducer cables to the depth finders and wire a switch panel for the electronics. There is still a ton of stuff to do but I am loving it. Now I have to try to get the glue off my hands, it may take a few days.

Attachments

• Dead Phish 1-27-13 (1).JPG
    Dead Phish 1-27-13 (1).JPG
    979.1 KB · Views: 1,707
  • Dead Phish 1-27-13 (2).JPG
    Dead Phish 1-27-13 (2).JPG
    981.9 KB · Views: 1,707
  • Dead Phish 1-27-13 (3).JPG
    Dead Phish 1-27-13 (3).JPG
    973.5 KB · Views: 1,707

Latest posts