15 Ft Klamath Deep V Boat Upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedHaze916

Reaction score
Hello everyone hope you are all well !
My Name is Tom and I live in Northern California. I have gotten my hands on a 16 Ft,6 Ft Wide Deep V Klamath Welded Aluminum Boat! It is actually a boat I was on when I was a young kid !Now the owner has passed on and I am really excited to put her back out where she belongs In the water ! I am on an adventure to become a Salmon/Tuna Troller Commercially in the pacific. BUT before I get there I have a lot to do first. So I want to start my Adventure doing something else to work my way up to that Troller ! I have a few ideas but nothing solid as far as how I would like to set the boat up . I really love the style of this boat and can't wait to see what I can come up with. I am not sure what the motor is year wise but it looks to be in better shape then I thought. This boat as almost bin sitting for 10 years ,full of trash and leaves. I have cleaned it out and scrubbed the inside of the boat and motor with some soap and water.

I want to thank everyone in advance for all the advice that I get from you and the projects you work . =D>

Here she is !

Attachments

• Klamath7.jpg
    Klamath7.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 2,408
  • Klamath6.jpg
    Klamath6.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 2,408
  • Klamath5.jpg
    Klamath5.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 2,408
  • Klamath2.jpg
    Klamath2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 2,408
  • Klamath4.jpg
    Klamath4.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 2,408
  • Klamath3.jpg
    Klamath3.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 2,408
  • Klamath1.jpg
    Klamath1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2,408
Nice looking boat you have there, Wicked. I am not familiar with tuna and salmon fishing but hope to be able to help when I can, as everyone on the forum. Good luck.

Nice looking boat you have here. Are you going to fish the inland rivers? No way you would catch me offshore in Nor Cal in a boat that small. I surfed my way up to Eureka one time when I lived in San Fran.....that water gets real big. I would love to see how you guys up there troll for the salmon, please post up some pics when you do. You live in some of the most pristine wilderness on the west coast, good luck and :WELCOME:

Nice combo! You have near limitless options and have found a great place to gain knowledge on tin mods. Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome aboard; you have a nice and sturdy boat there. Looking forward to seeing what you do with her. Will be good for lot's of salmon!

BrazosDon said:
Nice looking boat you have there, Wicked. I am not familiar with tuna and salmon fishing but hope to be able to help when I can, as everyone on the forum. Good luck.

Hey BrazosDon thank you very much. Any and all advice helps and its great when there is a group of people willing to do that these days.

Hey BigWave thanks a lot! I will mostly be fishing the Sacramento River and Delta with a few lakes here and there (Amador,Ice House) BUT there is a few places with Salt water I would be willing to go as i did when i was a kid in the same boat. San Fran Bay Maybe out under the bridge on a nice day. Dillons Beach (Lawson's Landing) or even out of Bodega . Mostly Inland yes but I more then likely will get some salt on my face when I can! I just got back from Commercial Trolling out of WestPort WA on my way back from Alaska in search of a fishing job. It has bin a busy year haha I have some pics and will post a few (not sure if it is ok to post them on this page?) Thank you again.

Scott Mac Thank you very much . Yea this is a great site with a good group of people. I have bin reading on here for a good few months now and there is a lot info out there! I surely will keep you all posted !

rickybobbybend Glad to be here! Yea I think Klamath's are great solid boats ! Very glad to have this boat ,was just out in the backyard standing next to it dreaming lol Thanks again !

Thank you again everyone !

Nice looking motor you got there.
If its been sitting for 10 years it will need some attention as well.
Pickup a OEM service manual off ebay. It will help you maintain it.
The motor is a late 80's model. You can determine the year from the model number on the metal tag on the transom clamp.

Squirt a little fogging oil in the cylinders and turn the flywheel by hand.
Start with compression and spark test.
Change LU fluid, water pump and carb kit. Good luck.

That's a nice looking boat. Those motors are solid. I have one that's a year or two older than the one you have and it's been a work horse.

99% sure its an 1988 from the decals, nice motor! did the motor sit for ten years? if so ur gonna want to replace the impeller,its housing,fuel pump and check all the fuel lines and cleaning or rebuilding the carb is not a bad idea either. better to do so then be on the water and have a problem. sitting that long id almost guarantee the impeller dried out and cracked.

jasper60103 said:
Nice looking motor you got there.
If its been sitting for 10 years it will need some attention as well.
Pickup a OEM service manual off ebay. It will help you maintain it.
The motor is a late 80's model. You can determine the year from the model number on the metal tag on the transom clamp.

Squirt a little fogging oil in the cylinders and turn the flywheel by hand.
Start with compression and spark test.
Change LU fluid, water pump and carb kit. Good luck.

Jasper thank you very much for the info. I am not somone who know' much about motors but its time to learn right haha Yea I am gonna change the fluids the spark plug , filter. I was thinking of maybe taking it down to someone who knows how to work on these and pay them of course but maybe they could show me what to do in the future . Thank you again

Tusker said:
That's a nice looking boat. Those motors are solid. I have one that's a year or two older than the one you have and it's been a work horse.

Tusker thanks for the heads up ! It seams like ti would be a good motor and should push the boat right along. I want to do a lot of trolling from it, I have a trolling plate but I also have a trolling motor.

shawnfish said:
99% sure its an 1988 from the decals, nice motor! did the motor sit for ten years? if so ur gonna want to replace the impeller,its housing,fuel pump and check all the fuel lines and cleaning or rebuilding the carb is not a bad idea either. better to do so then be on the water and have a problem. sitting that long id almost guarantee the impeller dried out and cracked.

Hey Shawnfish thank you. Would you recommend I take it to a shop and have all the above work done? As I do not know anything about how to work on these? And if I do what's something like that cost? Would it be better to learn on my own and buy the parts and figure it out? or if its just a little bit of cash would it be better for the "professional" ? Thank you again

Latest posts