Q-14 (semi V) AeroCraft Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks BrazosDon,
There are still several things that need to be done. My work schedule is keeping me away but it looks like this weekend is open. The tough thing is that it is with me at work and I walk past it several times each day. The good and bad news is that spring is still a long way off half way between the North Pole and the Equator.

Put in a few hours over the past few days. Mounted some electronics and did some carpet work. Still working on getting the hatches to fit better that they do. I am going to do some work spacing the hinges so the hatch lays flat. That will have to wait for now the Super Bowl is on this afternoon, that is a required task.

Attachments

• Dead Phish 2-3-13 (4).JPG
    Dead Phish 2-3-13 (4).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,614
  • Dead Phish 2-3-13 (3).JPG
    Dead Phish 2-3-13 (3).JPG
  • Dead Phish 2-3-13 (2).JPG
    Dead Phish 2-3-13 (2).JPG
  • Dead Phish 2-3-13 (1).JPG
    Dead Phish 2-3-13 (1).JPG
Had a busy work week so not much got done until Sat. Completed the wireing minus the bow light and the rope light but ran all the wires and switched the stuff I wanted. Finished the inside of the storage compartments and snapped some pictures.

Attachments

• View from back of Port side storage.JPG
    View from back of Port side storage.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,583
  • Port side tackle storage.JPG
    Port side tackle storage.JPG
  • Port rear hatch with fuel tank.JPG
    Port rear hatch with fuel tank.JPG
  • Port rear hatch showing 12V battery and bilge.JPG
    Port rear hatch showing 12V battery and bilge.JPG
  • Port side hatch.JPG
    Port side hatch.JPG
  • Port side hatch showing 12V switchs.JPG
    Port side hatch showing 12V switchs.JPG
  • Starboard rear hatch.JPG
    Starboard rear hatch.JPG
  • Starboard rod locker.JPG
    Starboard rod locker.JPG
  • Front floor storage.JPG
    Front floor storage.JPG
  • Bow battery 24V storage.JPG
    Bow battery 24V storage.JPG
Now that the boat is near complete I am going to fix up the trailer. Currently it is set up for a 12' boat that I sold last month. It has a bunch of rollers that don't come into play on the 14' boat it will carry. I plan to tear into it by removing the side rollers and adding carpeted bunks that will support the boat better. I also will put new lights, winch, side guides and paint. I will inspect the axles and hubs even though the previous owner told me he put new on it. Don't ask why I am doing this project bass akwards by doing the trailer last because I don't have a good answer!

Attachments

• Trailer winch.JPG
    Trailer winch.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,570
  • Trailer Side.JPG
    Trailer Side.JPG
  • trailer rear I.JPG
    trailer rear I.JPG
Looks like it's time to try it out on the Saginaw River! I'd like to make it up there this year bot I doubt it's gonna happen. Guess I'll have to stick to the Maumee. If you ever have an extra seat during the week, I'd love to check it out. Thats a nice looking rig you've got. Hopefully mine will be done this summer.

Don't ask why I am doing this project bass akwards by doing the trailer last because I don't have a good answer![/quote]

I am doing the same thing :p

Started yesterday by stripping down the trailer. Removed all the roller brackets and disassembled, removed the axle and removed the hubs and wheels. Removed the bearing cones from the hubs in preperation for replacements. Removed the bow bracket and the winch and disassembled that. I will replace the winch (ordered from Walmart). Removed the rollers and seals from the axle shafts in preperation of replacement. Inspected the frame and tilt and all looks good. I plan to disable the tilt feature so the trailer is more rigid in that area. I will use large bolts and nuts to accomplish that. I hit the loose brackets with a wire brush and sprayed them with rust-oleum paint. Back at it Monday after work.

Attachments

• SDC11633.JPG
    SDC11633.JPG
    986.5 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Painted Axle and hubs..JPG
    Painted Axle and hubs..JPG
    978.9 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Painted Roller Brackets.JPG
    Painted Roller Brackets.JPG
    945.4 KB · Views: 1,544
Hey Scott,

Great build brother! =D> Today I picked up the same boat for $175. It has a few things that need to be fixed on it like I noticed a few little soft spots on the bottom after I got it home. I think all in all it will be a great little fixer-upper for me. I think the design you went with is ideal for the size and shape of the boat so I may just use something similar. Any advice for me before I begin my journey to my build? Thanks and again great build!

Aaron

Thank you Action762.

My advice is to enjoy the project and get humping. I found it took more time than I anticipated. Take several pictures and share them. This is a fun site to follow and learn from. There is a ton of knowledge on this site, take advantage of it. I look forward to watching your progress. Good luck!!!

Hey Scott, just have the area welded where the tilt mechanism was. My old trailer broke right where the u-bolts attached. If you use bolts they could break or rust through......I would just have someone weld a joint on all sides.

BLING!!! for no other reason. Told my wife it was for function....She's not buying it!

Attachments

• SDC11645.JPG
    SDC11645.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,510
Looks really good, love the topside battleship grey. I can't decide if I'll be using a grey camo or a tan camo. I do like the look of that grey... Excellent craftsmanship this far.

Ps, where does everyone get topside?

Got some time today to work on the trailer. Cleaned it up then hit it with the wire wheel followed by a acetone wipe. Sprayed it with a rattle can or four of rust-oleum. Put new bearings and seals on the axel and put the final coat of spar on the bunk boards.

Attachments

• Seals and Brgs.JPG
    Seals and Brgs.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,117
  • Side view trailer.JPG
    Side view trailer.JPG
  • Dead Phish Trailer with Axle.JPG
    Dead Phish Trailer with Axle.JPG
Smelled a skunk this morning on the way to work a sure sign that spring is near. I spent a few hours this weekend pounding out the rehab of the trailer. Paint, bunks w/UHMWP skid surface, winch and assembly. I used 3/16 thick UHMWP attached to heavily spar coated 2 x 4's. I used epoxy and countersunk SS flat head screws. The bunks and rollers still need to be adjusted but it turned out good. A support will be needed near the front to keep the keel off the steel. I my use some more of the UHMWP rather than a roller. My intention is to keep the boat as low as possible to accommodate the low water levels. It was a struggle with my previous 12' boat; the docks were almost useless around here. I will need to attach a transom saver to get the outboard up so driveways and speed bumps are not an issue, it is better for the boat also. Side guides and lights will finish the job. Come on Spring!

Attachments

• Bunk close-up (4).JPG
    Bunk close-up (4).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,107
  • Front support needed (3).JPG
    Front support needed (3).JPG
  • Bunk from rear (2).JPG
    Bunk from rear (2).JPG
  • Overall Trailer (1).JPG
    Overall Trailer (1).JPG