Modification questions for 14ft sea nymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarrett1379

Reaction score
Hello,
I am brand new to this site but have been viewing your topics and posts and your boats look fantastic. I am buying a 14ft sea nymph and want to build a front deck and back deck on it. I believe my budget is going to make me use wood for the framing and I wanted to cover this with marine carpet. My question is how do you connect the wood to the aluminum boat. Would I have to rivet some aluminum supports to screw the boards into. Also what wood is good for this or sealer? What carpet do you reccomend and how is it installed? Paint wise, what paint is good for inside or outside of boat? Any information at this point would help me a lot. I don't want to modify the boat so that its unproportioned and tips into the water because I used the wrong materials or forgot foam, etc.

Thanks for any help!
O btw my name is Mark!!!

Welcome Mark!

You can use channel brackets or angle brackets (stainless steel) to connect the framing to the boat. You can also mount the framing to the existing seats.

Do not use pressure treated wood.

Framing: use 2X2s or 2X4s and hit them with 3 coats of spar urethane.
Decking: use exterior grade plywood (1/2 inch is fine) and coat it 3 times like the framing.
Carpet glue: Henrys 263 is also waterproof, but there are others out there - many of which are covered in the forum.
Paint - depends on the application. If it's bare aluminum you will need to use self etching primer first. Search for more on the forum.

For the framing do I just rivet those pieces to the hull and is there waterproof rivets? Also do you guys prefer and carpet over the other and when installing carpet do I carpet the plywood and then screw it in or screw the boards in and lay carpet after?

I would recommend not putting any holes below the water line. If you need to attach the frame to the bottom of the boat - try to mount them onto the ribs (and be very careful not to punch through the hull when you drill the hole in the rib.

If you plan on just mounting the framing to the gunwales (sides) and existing seats, you can screw the wood into the bracket (stainless steel screws), and rivet (aluminum) or bolt (stainless steel) the bracket to the hull.

Coat anything that goes through the hull with 3M 5200 and it shouldn't leak at all.

I framed first, carpeted my deck and then mounted the deck to the boat. It's much easier to glue the carpet and trim corners when the deck is out of the boat. I would recommend putting the carpet on first and then mount it to the frame (that's my opinion though).

Spend a lot of time sitting in the boat and thinking about the layout first before you make any changes. I'd even say take it out on the water and see how she sits and then go from there. Take your time and go through the builds. I still see stuff now that I wish I did to my boat.

As for rivets - any are likely fine if they're above the water line. If you do anything below - I would recommend using closed-end rivets and coating them with the 5200 when you install them.

Ok I was planning on laying the carpet first but that attach that carpeted piece to the frame do I just put a screw down through the carpet to the frame? Won't this look bad?

No, not if you use the right screws. :LOL2:

Check out the link below my signature and it will show you what screws I used.

Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• 18 seat a.jpg
    18 seat a.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,283

Latest posts