Golf cart hardtop on my 15ft Jon?

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
NugHunter

Post by NugHunter »

ok well ive been mulling this one over for weeks now...im thinking of modifying a golf cart hardtop to my 15 ft duracraft jon boat...it will cover the back part of the boat..i already figured out how to bolt it to the boat so that isnt really an issue..what im wondering is..will it cause problems when running at 30+mph down he river...would the wind catch it and flip me over? i mean it doenst happen with canvas bimini tops but they "flex" in the wind...this top would have no give at all....

any thoughts ..recommendations observations or advice will be appreciated :)

1993 15ft DuraCraft model 1518
1983 14ft DuraCraft model 1517 (project in progress)

Ictalurus

Post by Ictalurus »

=D> =D> =D> =D> YES!!!!

You should do this!! I don't think you'll flip the boat. We have a couple Sea-Ark cabin boats, the only noticeable difference is the trailering, it's like a big sail, be carefull trailering.

NugHunter

Post by NugHunter »

Ictalurus wrote:=D> =D> =D> =D> YES!!!!

You should do this!! I don't think you'll flip the boat. We have a couple Sea-Ark cabin boats, the only noticeable difference is the trailering, it's like a big sail, be carefull trailering.
wouldnt it be similiar to towing a golf cart on trailer?
i was thinking if it rains and i if put folding windshield and 3 sided golf cart rain cover top it would be similiar to a sea ark ;)

here is pretty much what i want to do..just on a smaler boat :

Jonboat Jerry

Post by Jonboat Jerry »

Hi NugHunter, The Golf Cart top will generate a couple of issues.
1 It's weight, that high, is going to make your 15' jon very sensitive to rolling.
2 It's weight is going to make the boat ride a little deeper.
3 It's drag is going to slow your boat down when running and increase fuel consumption.
4 It's drag is also going to make it more difficult to hold your position when the wind is up at your fishing spot.
5. Bimini's don't have most of the issues since they can be retracted when running and they are lighter.
You still get pushed around at anchor.
That's my 2C, I'm sure a few others will comment pro and con.
Welcome to Tin Boats.......Jerry :)
20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat AlumaZilla
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=20643
HB 1197C

NugHunter

Post by NugHunter »

Jonboat Jerry wrote:Hi NugHunter, The Golf Cart top will generate a couple of issues.
1 It's weight, that high, is going to make your 15' jon very sensitive to rolling.
2 It's weight is going to make the boat ride a little deeper.
3 It's drag is going to slow your boat down when running and increase fuel consumption.
4 It's drag is also going to make it more difficult to hold your position when the wind is up at your fishing spot.
5. Bimini's don't have most of the issues since they can be retracted when running and they are lighter.
You still get pushed around at anchor.
That's my 2C, I'm sure a few others will comment pro and con.
Welcome to Tin Boats.......Jerry :)
Jerry thanks for the welcome and the advice.

1...newer golf cart tops are made of plastic and are pretty lightweight and i wouldnt have it too high that it would be out of proportion to the boat...alhough the rolling issue still may come into play.?
2..not sure it would ride any deeper then if added another 30lbs to my 185lb body? 215lb?
3..def thought of the drag effect....although i thought it might only really come into play when the s NOT plaining as the newer tops are somewhat aerodynamic these days..
4...no more drag while in a fixed position fishing than a regular bimini though i would think?
5..i could modify it to fold foward and lay on the bow end of boat if needed?

what do ya think?

TimRich

Post by TimRich »

I say try it and if it doesn't work out take it off.
Current rig under construction- 14 foot flat bottom jon https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 65#p242665

Jonboat Jerry

Post by Jonboat Jerry »

It sounds like you have things well thought out and this modification certainly fits the mantra
of Tin Boats for being creative. I like your idea of folding it forward with a sturdy latch to keep it
from poping up and I agree with Tim Rich, try it, if it doesn't work, take it off.
Post plenty of pics on your progress will ya? Keep Hacking......Jerry
20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat AlumaZilla
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=20643
HB 1197C

Bailey Boat

Post by Bailey Boat »

Angle it up just slightly on the leading edge so it acts like a foil wing and makes the boat rise in the water and run even faster!!!!! (you know I'm joking??)......

Tusker

Post by Tusker »

Make sure you have that thing on there good. Going 30 mph on the river isn't going to be near as bad as towing it 60+ mph on the highway and having it come off and kill someone behind you.

Post up some pics when you get it on! Neat idea.
Knowledge, strengthens the soul and inspires the imagination.

chrispbrown27

Post by chrispbrown27 »

Why not use some bimini fittings to mount it with so it will lay down when trailering? I don't think that it will do much more then rattle a lot in a strong wind, but my concern would be if you fish near standing timber. The places I fish would rip that off the first time out. It's a cool idea, would be nice on those hot summer days.
Chris

TimRich

Post by TimRich »

I've seen some older pontoon boats with a fold down hard top. If you could find one to look at it may give you some ideas for your set up. I know my uncle has one that folds down or forward for trailering.
Current rig under construction- 14 foot flat bottom jon https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 65#p242665

d3vino

Post by d3vino »

I've been thinking about something similar. I wonder if using bimini-type material laced to the frame instead of the plastic top would be an option. I got my thinkin' cap on right now. It'd be cool to see what you come up with. I'll post again once I got something "planned" out. Good luck!
My 2002 Lowe mod /w 1957 Johnson 18 HP motor...I still have the 1956 Evinrude 7.5 HP for the local "10 Horse lakes".

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=25038

Gators5220

Post by Gators5220 »

Sounds like a nice idea to me man.
As always tight lines, cold beer, & Go Gators!

my build https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=25185

JMichael

Post by JMichael »

I don't know how your hardtop idea is going to work out although I'll be watching, but if you're getting 30 mph out of that boat then I want to know what prop you're running. Because unless I'm mistaken, that's a Mercury 200 on the back of your boat and I can't get near that speed out of mine.

NugHunter

Post by NugHunter »

JMichael wrote:I don't know how your hardtop idea is going to work out although I'll be watching, but if you're getting 30 mph out of that boat then I want to know what prop you're running. Because unless I'm mistaken, that's a Mercury 200 on the back of your boat and I can't get near that speed out of mine.

yep 1977 merc 20hp 200 topping at 36 with 2 people...not even a stainless steel prop :mrgreen:

should have my hands on the top i want soon ;)