Golf cart hardtop on my 15ft Jon?

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
Scott Mac

Post by Scott Mac »

That is one fast boat, I can see that thing getting airborne with a big wing on top. Be carful and bolt that thing down. Fish On!
Golf is for those who can't fish.

My 1963 Aerocraft semi-v build
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=28345

JMichael

Post by JMichael »

NugHunter wrote:
yep 1977 merc 20hp 200 topping at 36 with 2 people...not even a stainless steel prop :mrgreen:

should have my hands on the top i want soon ;)
I've got a 75 model 200. With me solo in my 15/38 and 2 gal of fuel, and nothing else in the boat when it was gutted, I got 28mph. Now that I've got the TM, battery, back deck, 5 gal fuel, front seat, it's down to 23-24. Are you running a 2 or 3 blade prop and what size/pitch is it?

kfa4303

Post by kfa4303 »

36 mph from and old 20hp? You'd be lucky to get that from a modern 40 hp. Nah, I think you might be reading your speedometer in kmh rather than mph.

NugHunter

Post by NugHunter »

kfa4303 wrote:36 mph from and old 20hp? You'd be lucky to get that from a modern 40 hp. Nah, I think you might be reading your speedometer in kmh rather than mph.
gps speedometer app from my iphone....should be back on the water today or tomorrow i will make sure and snap a pic ...really was looking for opinions on the golf cart top idea not the top seep of the boat lol
1993 15ft DuraCraft model 1518
1983 14ft DuraCraft model 1517 (project in progress)

TheMaestro

Post by TheMaestro »

I think the hardtop is a neat idea, somewhere between a T top and bimini. If it were for me, I know Id be ok on my local lakes because wind is not much of an issue, and Im only running a 9.9 on a 14'. If your lakes are really windy, then it would come down to the actual surface area of the top, and its height, plus where on the boat its sitting. For sure when trailering Id be concerned if I couldnt remove or fold it down. Ai know when I trailer with my trailerable cover, it does have to be securely on, so Id imagine a rigid top with a light aluminum boat would be dangerous at highway speed. A boston whaler with a t top weighs too much to be flipped by the wind when secured.
I think you shouid go with it, and figure out a quick discnnect system for trailering first. Just my 2 cents :)
Very cool idea you came up with!
Sylvan 1978 Seabreeze 1453, '78 Evinrude 9.9, Motorguide R3, Pflueger Trion GX-7
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=25479

Scott Mac

Post by Scott Mac »

I guess when you think about it I see golf carts being pulled down the road, in excess of 70 MPH, on trailers all summer long without problems. If you have it secured to the boat like they do on a golf cart and you strap your boat securely to the trailer that should not be an issue. As far as running on the water I really can't see it as a problem especially if you have enough weight in the boat. I think it is a great idea. Fish On!
Golf is for those who can't fish.

My 1963 Aerocraft semi-v build
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=28345