14' Semi-V North West Fishing Machine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha I was just kidding. I'm pretty sure i got all the leakers but the gluvit should get anything I missed

Got the framing for the deck done, the walk-thru cut out and the floor half finished.

Decided I'm gonna go with a tiller and put an extension handle on it because I like to stand and drive, and I don't want to boat to lean like crazy when I'm by myself, as it would with a side console.

Also, it will save me about $300 in materials plus all the time to build it. I will also save on some weight too. The goal is to keep this thing as light as possible so it will go fast/burn less fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_4369.JPG
    IMG_4369.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 1,608
  • IMG_4370.JPG
    IMG_4370.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 1,608
  • IMG_4371.JPG
    IMG_4371.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 1,608
Has been raining pretty consistently, and my only day off in the last 2 weeks was spent picking up a new car for the girlfriend, so the project is on hold awaiting some better weather! All the rain did help check for leaks and only 2 of the 250 or so rivets I have installed leak a bit. One I will swap out for a better one but the other will get some gluvit. Picked up a 13x20 hatch for some dry bow stowage and materials to build an anchor roller/holder.

The PO drilled a bunch of holes thru the gunwale and I want to fill them before paint. Would epoxy work? Short strand fibreglass body filler? Biggest is about 3/8" diameter.

Had a day off and some decent weather to get some more work done on this thing today. Been almost 2 weeks but I'm at the mercy of the elements.

Framing is 95% done. next is prep for gluvit and primer.

Attachments

• IMG_4396_resize.jpg
    IMG_4396_resize.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMG_4397_resize.jpg
    IMG_4397_resize.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMG_4398_resize.jpg
    IMG_4398_resize.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMG_4399_resize.jpg
    IMG_4399_resize.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMG_4400_resize.jpg
    IMG_4400_resize.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,554
That was the colour of the interior from the factory, mostly rubbed off. I am going to paint it grey with the cheapest metal paint/primer that I can find. :mrgreen:

Yes, Vancouver to be exact. Boat is designed primarily for the Fraser but I also do a bit of crab/ocean fishing when the weather is nice.

Have been picking away at the boat as the weather and schedule allows. I built a few more aluminum pieces that I'll post pics of later on. I laid down a thin coat of gluvit on all the rivets and seams in the boat. I was going to go a bit thicker but I realized that it's probably more effective on the outside as the chances of sealing are a lot better! Anyway, tomorrow is supposed to be nice so I am going to try to get the thing prepped and primed on the inside and then flip 'er over and start prepping the outside. I'm not really too picky about covering everything on the inside, but I want to get the actual hull primed and painted to avoid corrosion below the deck, and anything above the deck primed and painted to look good. Still haven't decided on the color for the outside, but it will probably be whatever is cheapest. The bottom will probably be white and the sides will be black if I can't find a half decent colour in the cheapest oil based paint I can find.

Got some paint on the biatch! Tremclad semi-gloss grey. Cheapest stuff I could find. The bottom of the hull and the back of the transom will get the same paint and my girlfriend wants to paint the sides yellow. I wanna do burgundy and stain the wood a deep cherry colour, but she says burgundy is an old man's colour. Hogwash I say!

Attachments

• IMG_4421_resize.jpg
    IMG_4421_resize.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_4422_resize.jpg
    IMG_4422_resize.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_4423_resize.jpg
    IMG_4423_resize.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_4424_resize.jpg
    IMG_4424_resize.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_4425_resize.jpg
    IMG_4425_resize.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,436
Here's an shot with the framing and bow storage in. I am waiting to install these after paint to make it easier to reach all the spots. They are anodized by the looks of it and they aren't going to be under the water line so I'm not worried about corrosion.

Attachments

• IMG_4426_resize.jpg
    IMG_4426_resize.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,787
A few questions/ideas:

I want to add some extra storage to the boat. I have a 13x23" hatch for the bow that will use all the space under the front casting platform as dry storage. I plan on storing snacks/life jackets/jackets/various boating supplies here Basically anything I want to keep dry and out of the way until I need it. I also have the storage for the anchor chain/rope at the top so it's all there and easily accessible.

I want to add another storage for all my fishing tackle to keep it dry and organized. Either at the stern in one of the floatation pods on either side of the boat or in the middle seats where the walk thru is. The cheapest I can find water tight hatches that will be the right size is $33 at great lakes skipper. The only downfall is that I will be removing some floatation to accommodate this.

I also want to add a cooler to the front bench for beer and smaller fish (any big salmon would have to be stored elsewhere obviously). I could find a cooler that fits and just cut out the wood so it's removable but I like the idea of something integrated. Live bait is pretty much never used up here due to restrictions so I don't need a livewell. If I went with something installed in the boat I could add a drain plug and let it drain and into the bilge and pump it out.

I was thinking of using rubbermaid containers instead of hatch liners. I think paying $50+ for a piece of molded plastic is insane. Does anyone know of a cheap and effective solution in lieu of a hatch liner?

I don't like tripping all over stuff while I am fishing and I can relax when things are neat and organized. Also lots of waterproof storage means I can keep my gear in the boat when it rains during fishing season. It rains a lot in the pacific north west! I also use to boat to access camping spots which means taking lots of gear, so keeping the necessities/fishing & boat related gear tucked away will let me pack gear without tripping over all sorts of stuff.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know! I was thinking of putting piano hinge on the middle bench plywood but after I buy the hinge and mess around with fixing a latch, I might as well spend the extra $10 and get a $30 hatch.

Also, does anyone have a line on a hook for clip that I can fasten my oars to the gunwale with? The boat has slots towards the stern to insert the wide end of the paddle, but I want to mount some kind of quick release to hold the handles in place.

I plan on making braces/stiffeners for the gunwales and mounting horizontal rod holders on them, so I have at least one thing figured out!

Goodies!

Just ordered:

1100 GPH bilge pump/plumbing
Kenwood KMR-355 Stereo and speakers/waterproof housing and antenna
3 switch panel with 12V outlet
12" LED bars (will mount along the gunnel for night fishing/camping)
2 Scotty power lock rod holders
vertical mount rod storage
2 wise swivel seats with swivels and quick release bases

Annd, the build cost just doubled.

Alex_c said:
Goodies!

Just ordered:

1100 GPH bilge pump/plumbing
Kenwood KMR-355 Stereo and speakers/waterproof housing and antenna
3 switch panel with 12V outlet
12" LED bars (will mount along the gunnel for night fishing/camping)
2 Scotty power lock rod holders
vertical mount rod storage
2 wise swivel seats with swivels and quick release bases

Annd, the build cost just doubled.

Necessities.... :beer:

Your paint came out great I would say! Totally different boat it looks like. Good work!

As far as the color for the sides... better go with yellow!!! :wink:

Thanks! It's amazing what a coat of paint will do. I used a 4" roller where I could reach it and then used a chip brush for the tight spots.

Hm... Yellow. Thoughts?

Attachments

• paint ideas.JPG
    paint ideas.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,757
I could do a taxi paint scheme on it and call it the "catch cab", since I'm always taking friends out in it, any everyone I know wants a boat ride hahaha.

Alex_c said:
I could do a taxi paint scheme on it and call it the "catch cab", since I'm always taking friends out in it, any everyone I know wants a boat ride hahaha.

The full on taxi checkered may be a little much for me but, hell go for it if it is your look. I photshopped the Cash Cab logo with "Catch Cab" in black and you could just do a yellow background and have this cut in a black vinyl decal. I like "Catch Cab" that's a clever spin on it and would tie in the yellow nicely! =D>

Attachments

• CATCH_CAB.jpg
    CATCH_CAB.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,744
  • cash_cab_logo-light5.jpg
    cash_cab_logo-light5.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,744
Hahah fully checkered would be way too ridiculous for me too. I was thinking of doing the rear 1/4 of the boat with checkers in a triangle shape starting from the spray rail and tapering out towards the gunwale and stern. Much like your design sans logo, but I like the logo...i might use that!!

Finished the decking today. All the wood pieces are cut and ready to be sanded and painted. Got a couple other small things done today as well. I got some interlocking plastic mats for the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_4430_resize.jpg
    IMG_4430_resize.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 1,684
  • IMG_4429_resize.jpg
    IMG_4429_resize.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,684
  • IMG_4428_resize.jpg
    IMG_4428_resize.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,684
  • IMG_4427_resize.jpg
    IMG_4427_resize.jpg