My boat :: The final product (photos)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewR

Reaction score
Last week or the week before, I made a brief post about my boat and showed you guys the rig I was working with.

A 1979 Lund Guide Series 315 with a 28HP Evinrude SPL.

When the post was made, I have everything set in place except for the trolling motor, the electronics, and the mounting platform for it.

Today, well on Sunday the 18th, I spent around 11-12 hours working on the boat, in hopes of completely finishing it by next weekend, its maiden voyage in WI.

After about 12 hours of work today, I finally got the boat finished and up to perfection.

Here is what I did, along with the help I received.

- With lots of assistance, we got a trolling motor mounting platform cut out and bolted to the boat. Special thanks to my dad's and my friend who happens to be a steel-worker and master carpenter. He knew what he was doing.
- Installed the $600+ trolling motor
- Installed locator onto casting deck
- Did lots of wiring and organizing of the electrical stuff
- Installed battery straps that will secure them during travels and when fishing.

Got lots of photos from today and they are in this album I just made which shows all of the progress that was made. It's about 7 months worth of work.

https://fishing-headquarters.com/galleries/thumbnails.php?album=43&page=1

More photos from today's work are inside the link towards the end album pages. I highly suggest for you to view through it.

Here's what happened today and here is how it looks.

normal_P5170037.JPG

normal_P5170040.JPG

The mounting platform. We decided to use the lightest material we had, which happened to be a 15lb channel of hard and compressed aluminum. We went with the following method for mounting because rather than make a triangle "cover" on the bow which is so standard on v-hull boats, this would enable me to have more space to work on my small casting deck. By doing so, I have more room now. With the triangle which was my initial plan, and chosen one, I wouldn't have had nearly as much room for using the little deck.

normal_P5180049.JPG

You see the locator mount? It looks innovative and we thought it would work in that position. But when I did the wiring later on in the day and into the evening, the power plug wouldn't fit through the small gaps of space I had. So I had to re-mount the thing elsewhere.

normal_P5180050.JPG

normal_P5180051.JPG

normal_P5180052.JPG

normal_P5180053.JPG

The way the mounting platform was bolted onto the boat. PERFECT SOLID FIT!

normal_P5180059.JPG

normal_P5180067.JPG

The little casting deck works and I don't see a need to make an extension for it.

Although I am finished with the work, I still have a few teeny tiny things to do such as getting some in-line fuses placed into the batteries, and I need to make the trolling motor power cord longer and extend it with 12-gauge wires because Minn Kota was kind of stupid and the cord is only less than 3ft long.

This was a fun project. I took my time and did it all within a matter of 7 months.
I hope my next project, if it happens, will be more comprehensive and advanced than this. But yet again, I thought that everything I did to this boat was advanced and a major project to begin with. I RE-DID THE ENTIRE THING!! :D =D> I turned a piece of $600 trash into a potential $3,000 rig!

Again, if you missed the link to the album showing all the work I did in the last 7 months, here it is: https://fishing-headquarters.com/galleries/thumbnails.php?album=43&page=1

Thanks everyone. :D

Thanks everyone.

Jeff, I just used outdoor carpet adhesive (forgot the brand). Took forever to dry, probably because it's been so cold here in IL, but it's glued on there! :D

andrew

Latest posts