"HUB" style shelters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANGEYE

Reaction score
I am going to get one, just need some help to decide which one. I am looking at either the Eskimo Fat Fish 949i or the Clam XL 4000 T. I am hoping that some of you can give me the PROS and CONS of either or maybe suggest another brand. It gets pretty cold and windy around here so I'm leaning towards the thermal (insulated) type. I do have the Buddy and the Big Buddy heaters. Do you think I need the thermal? The thermal also seems like it would hold up better in the long run due to its thickness.

Thanks
HANGEYE

Insulated is worth the money. I've been using a frabil predator for 3 winters now and wouldn't go back to a non insulated for extreme weather. I personally got away from buddy heaters because of them being unreliable. They seem to be a love hate for most people. I'll have to check but I seem to think it was one of the clam pop ups my buddy had poles break on him several times over the winter. I'm not 100% sure on that.

Thanks for the reply. What size is your Frabill? I really need the room for three to four people. What was the price of yours? The Clam and the Eskimo are about $350 each and are about 95" x 95" . If the Frabill is a bit more, that would not be a problem, just curious.
Also, what kind of heater do you use?

Again, thanks for the reply
HANGEYE

Whatever you get, make sure you can get rods for it. You WILL break them. Guaranteed. I jinxed myself earlier this year, went two seasons and no busted poles on my two man then disaster struck on New Years. I stayed out late, and the combination of frost, beverage, impatience, and cold resulted in two snapped rods and a lot of swearing. The next day I bought a flip over.

I think you're on the right track on buying big - it doesn't make sense to get a small one. Eskimo makes a good shelter and have parts available with no problems. Clam had issues with the material, but on the lower end models. The quilted material is better quality but crazy expensive for what it is. The Shappell's have good reviews as well. insulated fabric is heavy, so remember that when deciding how you're moving around, most popups double in weight from a standard 300D cover.

I think the insulated popups are nice if not a little overkill. If you have the money to spend on them, go for it - but I'd be fine with a regular popup and a good heater (which it sounds like you have). In my 2 man (60x60) a regular single panel Buddy style heater (mine's a Dynaglo) will cook me out of it if it's higher than low. I only turn it on after sun down, and I've yet to turn it on in my flip over.

Glen's Army Navy if they still have stock usually have great pricing and free shipping, same with Reeds/RedRock.

Lot's of happy folks with Eskimos.... just sayin'.

Hey there! I just joined and wow, an ice fishing thread on a boat forum!

I am an ice fisherman first, an open water fisherman second. And I fish about 20 hours a week open water if that tell you anything. Last year I bought the Clam Bigfoot XL 4000T and let me tell you, this thing is awesome. I came from a few suitcase style Clams, and what an eye opener to have the room of a hub shelter. For the money, you can't beat it. It goes up very quick and goes down even quicker. After owning this thing, I would not buy an un-insulated one again. The reduced condensation on the inside is huge. And it warms up incredibly quick. I use a Portable Buddy heater with a 1lb Coleman tank and it will make it t-shirt weather in there. We fished last year on 3rd Connecticut lake in Northern NH when it was 17 below zero ambient air temp and blowing 30mph. Amazingly cold weather but we were fishing with no gloves inside the shanty. If you get the Clam I will suggest you immediately cut the zipper pulls off and replace them with parachute cord. Two of them broke off the first day of use, but as far as quality that was the only issue. The poles and hubs on the Clam are way bigger than any other brand. 11 mm. That is actually why I bought it, because I had a buddy with a Shappel and the hubs failed twice. I can't see that happening on the Clam, these poles and hubs are super sturdy. Anyway, if you have any questions, let me know. I ice fish a LOT. Here are some pics of the unit. Again, for the money, I can't see it being beat.

GSParts-2-L.jpg

GSParts-3-L.jpg

GSParts-6-L.jpg

Somewhere I have photos of the unit on the ice, if I find them I'll post 'em. Having fun in my tin boat, but really looking forward to hardwater!

Thanks for the report jethro. I have been talking to a lot of people about shelters the last few months and I am down to a coin flip between the Clam and the Eskimo. I ice fish a lot also and with poor blood circulation in my hands, I need it WARM, so thermal is a must. Now I just need the stores to put the displays back out so I can take my lawn chair and cooler and give them a trial run. I hope they don't mind too much when I auger holes in the floor of their store.

BRING ON THE ICE.

Latest posts