Tracker Topper 1436 Jon Boat Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goody32

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!!

I am hoping to get a Topper 1436 Jon Boat for Christmas and I want to convert it into a bassin machine!!! This site is awesome and I have found some great ideas. I was hoping to get some help on the electrical part of the boat. I am a good carpenter so I am not too worried about the actual build but I want to make sure that I get the electrical portion of it done correctly.

I am going to install the following lights, bilge pump, etc.....

Bow light
Anchor light
Front and Back deck lights
Bilge pump
Possibly a couple of courtesy lights.
Lowrance Elite 4 chartplotter/fish finder unit
12V Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 Trolling motor.

I already have a 12V deep cycle marine battery in a Minn Kota Battery box with a breaker in it for the trolling motor and Lowrance unit.
I was planning on getting another 12V deep cycle battery for the lights and bilge pump wired to a 6 gang rocker switch panel.

Will a 12V battery be good for the lighting or could I go with one of the less expensive, smaller batteries? Do I need breakers, bus bars etc. I would love some feed back from everyone here. I appreciate the help!!!!

I will definitely post my pictures when I start the build!!!!

I guess it depends on who you ask!! If I get the boat for Christmas then my Wife may not think I have been good!!! Hopefully when I get it dialed in she will like going out on the water a little more!!

Good luck being on the "right" Christmas list. You might consider adding a courtesy 12v outlet to you list of to-dos. Easy to do and very handy for charging a cell phone and the like.

That is definitely on the list since I have Navionics on my Cell phone and it drains the battery pretty quick. The Minn Kota Battery Box that I have has 2 accessory outlets on it that come in extremely handy. I use that set up know on my little Pond Prowler and it works well.

I have read a lot about stability issues with this size of a boat with a deck. I am planning on building the decks level with the benches and doing all of the framing with Aluminum angle to keep the weight down and extending the front deck past the front bench to the next rib and placing the batteries in that area in the middle. I don't want to mess with the foam and the benches and want to distribute the weight evenly.

I I don't really like fishing from a seat so I am planning on installing a bike type/casting seat to lean up against installed right over the front bench. Any input on this would be great. I am also planning on putting a regular seat on the back. I love this Site!!!!!!!!!

Yeah this site is awesome! Hope you get the 1436 topper you'll love it. You have lots of nice plans for it. I talked my wife into getting me one earlier this year and have done a few mods to it with plans on more. Good Luck!

CaseyP said:
Yeah this site is awesome! Hope you get the 1436 topper you'll love it. You have lots of nice plans for it. I talked my wife into getting me one earlier this year and have done a few mods to it with plans on more. Good Luck!

Thanks for the well wishes on the build. I am currently running a 9' Tracker Bantam which is basically a pond prowler. I weigh about 260 and I fish that with my Brother in Law in a small pond with a trolling motor and battery plus about 14 rods between the two of us an it worked. We had to let each other know when we were going to move and which way to not throw each other over board but it worked. I pulled in a 8 lbs bass that day to and was able to land it with out swimming after it. The Topper will be much better I am hoping.

I also think having two batteries towards the middle front of the boat will help the nose get down while I am running. I am getting a 4 hp outboard for free from a friend so I might have the same issue that you have had on your boat. I am glad I saw your build so I can make those adjustments. I will post pictures when I start my first build. I hope my plans for it work out the way I have it planned!!!!! Just like any project, I will have to make adjustments as I go along!!!!

I still have some questions about the electrical though so any help on that would be much appreciated.

Thanks to a great Diagram by Rick James and other comments from LonLB and Bassboy1 from this thread https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17254&hilit=wiring+diagrams I put together a wiring plan for the Tracker Topper. Can anyone please give me some comments on this baby.

Thanks a lot everyone!!!!View attachment Jon Boat Electrical Plan.pdf

After a bit of a hiatus due to lack of time and funds to work on the boat I have been slowly getting things done. I finally finished the front decking today and will post a pick of the completed framing after I put all my tools away and it doesn't look like a tool box!!! I got the middle portion of the deck cut and need to work on the gull wing hatch doors. It is getting real close to water ready and I can't wait. As long as its ready to go by my fishing trip in June, all will be right in the world.

Attachments

• Jon Boat 01.jpg
    Jon Boat 01.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,429
  • Jon Boat 02.jpg
    Jon Boat 02.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2,429
  • Jon Boat 03.jpg
    Jon Boat 03.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 2,429
  • Jon Boat 04.jpg
    Jon Boat 04.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,429
  • Jon Boat 05.jpg
    Jon Boat 05.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2,429
I finally got the decking cut and sealed. I had to make a little bit of a modification on the front where the trolling motor plug is so I need to re-carpet that. All I need is carpet on the deck and to install it. I can't wait to get this thing on the water!!!

Does anyone out there know if you can buy an external transducer for a Humminbird Fishin Buddy? It has all of the plugs in the back for it but I am not sure if I can take off the transducer rod. It worked great when I was fishing from my single man pontoon boat but having the transducer rod sticking down in the water in this boat, not so much. It pops up out of the holder and rattles like crazy so I have to take it out when I run to the next spot which really sucks.

Attachments

• Deck without carpet.jpg
    Deck without carpet.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,306
I spent the day carpeting the front deck and got it all done!!! I think it turned out pretty good.

Attachments

• Deck with Carpet.jpg
    Deck with Carpet.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,209

Latest posts