14' Semi-V North West Fishing Machine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still have to paint the front storage metal, gunwale, transom cap, rear of the transom and another coat on the interior of the hull where it got scratched from installing stuff. I'll probably do all that last after everything is installed. Mask off where necessary and make it all look pretty again.

I kinda knew that I would have to do a second coat once everything was installed, but I got the first coat down so everything below the deck would be covered.

Aside from painting, I still have to build the console thingy for the switches and stereo and build the speaker boxes. Hope to get most of the install stuff finished tomorrow and then start on paint. Right now I am taking my time fitting everything and making sure the puzzle goes together in the right order.

Wow! That is great work the boat is really starting to look like she is finished, just a few more touches. Keep up the effort and she'll be done in no time.

Well it's pissing rain today, but good news is the 1100 GPH bilge pump shoots out water like a fire hose! =D>

I may have missed one of the pics showing it, but how did you mount your seats? I'm trying to determine if those aluminum seat plates and seat bases would work. I want to be able to move my seats to the bow and stern and put a pedestal under them.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318502#p318502 said:
kensho1976 » 46 minutes ago[/url]"]I may have missed one of the pics showing it, but how did you mount your seats? I'm trying to determine if those aluminum seat plates and seat bases would work. I want to be able to move my seats to the bow and stern and put a pedestal under them.

I used this:
https://www.springfieldgrp.com/products-2/boat-slides-swivels/light-duty/3679-2/quick-seat-mount-swivel-combo

You need to get their swivels since at 7" they are bigger than the standard 6-1/4" ones.

I mounted them with 1/4" SS hex bolts, 1/4" SS T-nuts and SS flat washers. The 4 T-nuts seem strong enough to withstand my weight on the seat.

I attached the swivel to the chair since they are mild steel, and the plastic mounts look like they would withstand more abuse getting stepped on etc. You can mount them either way though, with the quick mount on the chair and the swivel on the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_4503_resize.jpg
    IMG_4503_resize.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,750
  • IMG_4504_resize.jpg
    IMG_4504_resize.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,750
  • IMG_4505_resize.jpg
    IMG_4505_resize.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,750
Yeah, there are some situations where I can see it getting in the way, but I can always take the rear bars out and fold it down for those trips.

Thanks for the info on the seats. I guess I am worried too much about the ABYC ratings. Almost all of the seat brackets I want to use are rated for "fishing only" instead of driver or passenger. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to ignore the ABYC ratings and use some common sense.

kensho1976 said:
Thanks for the info on the seats. I guess I am worried too much about the ABYC ratings. Almost all of the seat brackets I want to use are rated for "fishing only" instead of driver or passenger. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to ignore the ABYC ratings and use some common sense.

Interesting, to be honest, I didn't check the rating on mine. I see that the quick releases are rated for fishing only. I'll try them out and if I don't like them I can always change them out

Built the speaker boxes and got a coat of stain + varnish on them.

Built the stereo/switch console and installed an inspection hatch to access breaker switch, fuses and wiring. I mocked the wiring up, and I'll have a positive and negative buss bar that I can hook the positive and negative leads from my battery charger onto.

Also, I mounted the motors to check clearance of the Bimini. Looks like it's good to go - I can still run the motor with the tiller without any interference while the top is stowed down. I saw some quick release gunwale mounts that I can use instead of the thumbscrew ones that came with it so I can easily have the bimini stored up or down depending on how I am using the boat.

I took the motors back off because I need to paint the top and back of the transom still.

I need to move the frame of the trailer back on the main beam to move the axle further back and get some weight on the tongue. Right now with the motor, deck and battery in the boat, the tongue lifts off the ground. The bunks also don't support the back of the boat, and I don't want to move them back or make them longer, because they already sick out past the back of the trailer frame enough as it is. There are two u-bolts that I can loosen and slide the frame/bunks/axle backwards to achieve what I want it to do.

Attachments

• IMG_4509_resize.jpg
    IMG_4509_resize.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_4510_resize.jpg
    IMG_4510_resize.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_4508_resize.jpg
    IMG_4508_resize.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_4517_resize.jpg
    IMG_4517_resize.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_4514_resize.jpg
    IMG_4514_resize.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_4516_resize.jpg
    IMG_4516_resize.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_4507_resize.jpg
    IMG_4507_resize.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_4506_resize.jpg
    IMG_4506_resize.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,699
:beer: :beer: :beer: getting close, let me know when I need to stop in to go fishing! 8)

Better pack your bags because it'll be soon! All that is left is finishing the paint job (gunwales, transom, interior 2nd coat) and installing a couple more things. Out of town again this weekend but I have lots of time at the end of the month for some fishing.

Looks like it's really coming together!

Are you planning on storing your fuel tank under the rear hatch? I've been going back and forth about whether or not to make the tank removable on my build. They're supposed to be removed at the pump to refuel them, and that's not so hard with a 6 gallon tank. But I can't see lifting a 12 gallon "portable" tank out of a boat to refill it. I know it's good practice to fill the tank outside of the boat because of the static charge that builds when the gas is poured. I wonder how many out there actually remove their tanks before filling them?

The tank is removable, and is only a 6 gallon. The battery is also under there. I made it so I can refuel without removing the tank, but it's not too hard to get out if I have to. The only real issue is that I have to take off the rear seat to open it and check the fuel level so I might install an inspection hatch in the lid of the existing hatch to check level/refuel.

Got the bow storage locker installed today and re-adjusted the trailer so more weight sits on the tongue. Had to take the boat off the trailer by myself which wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I slid the frame and axle down the main beam of the trailer about a foot, so now the bunks go all the way back to the transom and the tongue has much more weight on it. Before with the battery and motors (and no gas tank) installed, the tongue would lift off the ground. Now I can put all my weight (200 lbs) on the transom and bounce up and down, and the tongue doesn't budge. The battery (50 lbs), motor (150 lbs) and gas tank (40 lbs full) should balance the weight and make the tongue a tad lighter which would be ideal.

Wiring done today, no pics but I'll get some up tomorrow. Job was cancelled due to mass flooding in the area so I flew back home for the weekend. Will keep picking away at it tomorrow!

Today, despite the rain, I managed to install all the hatches and inspection ports, I also install a clear inspection port that allows me to:

1) Access the filler/vent without having to take off the driver's seat to open the large hatch. The large hatch exists to remove the fuel tank and get at the battery. I could have mounted the driver's seat further to the side so it doesn't interfere with the big hatch but it would have been awkward and uncomfortable to drive the boat

2) View the current fuel level. I was going to go with a regular white hatch like the one I used to access the wiring, but I saw the clear hatch and decided to go with that, so now all I have to do is glance at it to see current fuel level. The light inside there will hit the fuel gauge dead on so even at night it will be extremely convenient!

I also ported the speaker boxes I made. I tuned the port to 45 HZ (1.5" D X 4.75" L) - we'll see how it sounds. For sure I will get more volume out of them but hopefully the sound quality won't suffer too badly.

I mounted the antenna so it does not interfere with the bimini top when it's down and so I can use those little slots to secure the oars in while underway. Also wanted to avoid drilling into the hull where possible. The cable was JUST long enough, which is why it's run up the gunwale on an angle.

Anyway, enough blah blah blah...PICTURES!

Attachments

• IMG_4584_resize.jpg
    IMG_4584_resize.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4585_resize.jpg
    IMG_4585_resize.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4586_resize.jpg
    IMG_4586_resize.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4587_resize.jpg
    IMG_4587_resize.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4588_resize.jpg
    IMG_4588_resize.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4589_resize.jpg
    IMG_4589_resize.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4591_resize.jpg
    IMG_4591_resize.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4594_resize.jpg
    IMG_4594_resize.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4595_resize.jpg
    IMG_4595_resize.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4596_resize.jpg
    IMG_4596_resize.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4597_resize.jpg
    IMG_4597_resize.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4598_resize.jpg
    IMG_4598_resize.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,450
More pics of the bow storage and the trailer adjusted.

Attachments

• IMG_4599_resize.jpg
    IMG_4599_resize.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4600_resize.jpg
    IMG_4600_resize.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4602_resize.jpg
    IMG_4602_resize.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4603_resize.jpg
    IMG_4603_resize.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4605_resize.jpg
    IMG_4605_resize.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,450
Some pics of the lights. Might end up adding more in the future, but for now I am very happy. :mrgreen:

I tried to get a pic of the tank's fuel gauge - you can see it very easily in person, without the glare from the exposure.

Attachments

• IMG_4613_resize.jpg
    IMG_4613_resize.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_4616_resize.jpg
    IMG_4616_resize.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_4618_resize.jpg
    IMG_4618_resize.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,446

Latest posts