1970 Cherokee V-Hull project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finished the lid for the side cooler storage... i'm putting a lock latch on this, so will need to run to the hardware store tomorrow to get that.

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 2,346
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    939.1 KB · Views: 2,346
  • IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 2,346
Dude you are ready to go now. Taken mine out four times and no fish yet. They just aren't biting in this hot weather and warmer water temps. I hope you have better luck. Stay in touch.

Hi SCARNG2011,
First and foremost I want to thank you for your service to our great country. We are free to pursue our passions thanks to people like you. You have a kick butt mod yourself, I am sure it is very comfortable and a fish catching machine. My son took his rig out for the first time last night and caught 30+ bass in the cuts off the Grand River in Grand Haven, MI. That’s a good start. Anyway, thank you for the kind words and you service. Fish On!

Hey Bud,

My Name is Allen "AJ" , I see that your rebuilding a 1970 V Hull. I first want to say that you have a great design Eye, I love the way you created such an attractive boat, out of such an elemetary foundation. Kutos to you bro, you did a Bang up job! =D>

I recently bartered with a man to obtain a...., Yup, You guessed it, a 1970 14' Cherokee V hull, It is in need of a full restoration. I saw your posting and the way you layed yours out is Exactly the way i wanted to lay mine out. Is there any way I could get a full aerial picture of your project, I would like to sketch out the design. Additionaly, I was wandering if you had some measurements for the design, I want to duplicate yours exactly! :D

On the sub frame did you use marine grade lumber, indoor/Outdoor carpet?

How did you fasten the lumber to the interior sides of the boat to create the floor?

Did you reseal the bottom?

I could ask you a million and one questions, BUT, I won't...Ill read more of the project details and see if the information is in there....

I am Very excited to start this project, I hope my Budget can handle it..lol

TTYS,

Thank you

Hey AJ welcome to Tin Boats and congrats on your newly acquired Cherokee!!

To be honest with you, I've never done anything like this before so everything done on my boat was simply just fooling around with it until it started coming together. when I first started the project I bought about $100 worth of 2x2's, 2x4's, 2x6's, weather proof screws, wood sealant, corner framing brackets and a sheet of plywood. That's basically what got me started. I tried my best to document in pictures everything that I did so that you can see each step that I took.

none of the wood was fastened to the hull of the boat. I used the plywood that were already on the seat benches to keep everything in place. I built the upper deck so tight that I don't even get a squeak when walking on it. the plywood benches were cut out to fit over top the aluminum bunks, drilled holes through the plywood and aluminum lip, and then fastened with stainless steel bolts and nuts.

btw the wood was NOT treated lumber. I heard some bad things from people who used the pressure treated lumber. I just bought the typical untreated wood and sealed it myself.

so far I have only about $300 invested with building materials. really economical I think seeing as how cheap I got the boat in the first place. Also, don't get discouraged during the project... people on here make things look so easy through the pictures but it will take time and a few screw ups before it is right in your eyes.

It has been pouring rain the past couple of days down here in Atlanta, but as soon as it lets up i'll pull the boat out of the garage and get a couple nice aerial shots for you my man! Look forward to watching how your project goes buddy!! lets see some pics!!!

it's been a mess here in the great ATL for the past week... skies opened up for a couple hours today so me and the little old lady ran to a small electric only lake nearby and got some sun for a couple hours. man it was welcomed!!

go ahead and laugh that I took such detailed pics of this.... lol but all I've done this week to my tin was install a cupholder at the front of the deck hahaaa.... enjoy some pictures from our rainy fourth of July, the cupholder, and a few snaps of us at the lake today!

oh p.s. I've narrowed down my choices for a paint scheme... it's going to be one of two:

1) Toyota Forklifts of Atlanta (where I work)... hot orange with the Toyota emblem and "TOYOTA" graphic down both sides

2) Clemson Tiger Paws on both sides and once again hot orange

Tough decision

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1238.jpg
    IMG_1238.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 2,057
Boat looks great! IMO I'd go with the Clemson Paws, unless your company is going to help foot the paint bill :) Keep the pics coming.

Thank you for your service to our country bud! I'm glad you've got a nice little boat there to enjoy, drink beer and what not. Catchin anythin good?

panFried said:
Boat looks great! IMO I'd go with the Clemson Paws, unless your company is going to help foot the paint bill :) Keep the pics coming.

I talked to our paint guy last night and he is going to help me tape and paint it... Toyota forklifts are hot orange so there's plenty of paint at my disposal :) so I think I'm going to do the best of both worlds including tiger paws at the front and Toyota emblem and TOYOTA graphics running from the rear to the middle

Gators5220 said:
Thank you for your service to our country bud! I'm glad you've got a nice little boat there to enjoy, drink beer and what not. Catchin anythin good?

Heck yes to some brewskis my man!! I built a dedicated storage compartment custom built around my cooler... So you see where my priorities are lol! Been catching a couple decent sized small mouth but its been slow up here when I have had the chance to get out

Hey guys. so I just managed to shift some finances around in the budget here at the house. acquired a Lowrance X-4 Pro fish finder, a Boss Marine head unit and two speakers, electrical wiring, battery case, and the head unit casing.

installed everything about an hour ago... but here's my dilemma... My fish finder fires right up, no problem, as soon as I switch the button to on with my switch panel... however, my stereo will not turn on and I've done everything (it seems) to get it to work... attached are pictures of my wiring... maybe I've missed something?? I have the red wire (12v switched) hooked to positive and the yellow wire (12v constant) is left unattached.

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    857.5 KB · Views: 1,965
  • IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 1,965
  • IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    927 KB · Views: 1,965
  • IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    939.6 KB · Views: 1,965
  • IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 1,965
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 1,965
  • IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 1,965
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 1,965
  • IMG_1352.jpg
    IMG_1352.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 1,965
Brother it’s so hard to say without seeing it first hand and being able to test stuff. I would first ask why you have the breaker on the ground side of the circuit. Secondly you need to test at the back of the head and make sure you have power and ground.

If you have two devices that are sharing the same voltage supply and they are both high consumption devices like you have theirs might be a voltage drop. A quick check would be to get to good jumper wires and go from the battery directly to the device and see if it powers up. If yes the heeds good and it’s a wiring issue.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322983#p322983 said:
Country Dave » 19 Jul 2013, 17:27[/url]"]What is your MOS sir?

i'm 11Bravo Dave... Infantry blue, through and through!

you bring up a good point about the head unit already having an on/off toggle on the unit itself. i'll try your suggestions and see if anything changes. thanks!!

Hey there sir!

Forgive me if I missed this somewhere in this thread but:
How many pounds of wood do you estimate has been added to the boat?
I'm considering decking my 14.5' Lone Star Commander (1970 Johnson 9.5) with aluminum to keep the weight down.
But I have the tools and everything already for woodworking and I'd need to get a few things and practice some more before doing it in aluminum, would probably need to go with muggyweld.
Have you noticed a loss of speed now that it's decked?
How have your balancing and handling characteristics been affected?

Hey guys. newest update includes stereo system, fish finder, and switch panel installation complete. turns out that my previous "Boss Marine" was a faulty unit. so after a trip to Bass Pro to return it I decided to go with a more trusted brand. so I spent another 100 bucks ontop of my trade-in to secure the CXS-M2016 sony marine stereo. wired it up and it lit up like a Christmas tree!

it's funny because once I started playing music and cranked it up it was so freagin loud! the boat with all the wood is acting like a subwoofer compartment. I made a joke to my wife saying that it would be funny if I had a noise complaint called on me, and the music was coming from a 14' jon boat lol! but ya, this sucker gets really loud!

I tell you what... for being a little $400 boat off craigslist this sure turned into a little money hole haha

once again, please forgive the "ish" craftsmanship. I've never done anything like this before, and it seems that every mistake is screaming at me in the face!

Attachments

• IMG_1417.jpg
    IMG_1417.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,774
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    994.9 KB · Views: 1,774
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    991.4 KB · Views: 1,774
  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg