Smackdaddy's "Pole Dancer" 1652 Polar Kraft flush deck jet b

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333576#p333576 said:
smackdaddy53 » Yesterday, 21:10[/url]"]Thank you Dave. Your build and a few others have been the ones I read every post of and helped me a bunch. There is a ton of information and great Ideas (and a few lessons learned) that I am sure helped and will help many people.
The float test will be soon, probably next week some time. I just want to see how she sits and see how many pinholes I need to weld before the hull gets the GatorGlide coating.

Hey thanks Smack,

That’s much appreciated bro. This site is pretty cool and a great resource. I got inspired when I saw Jon Boat Jerry’s bad azz build. I think you have the perfect skinny water set up. I’m not a big deck boat guy and I like a prop instead of a jet but your build is going work real good. 1652 tunnel flat bottom with a little bit of a mod V and float pods, that’s the chit……………………………… :mrgreen:

My next build will be 1652 prop tunnel mod V all welded flat bottom with float pods. I wish I could have found 16 mod V all welded flat bottom when I was looking. The 1752 came along and the price was too good to let it go. My 17 is a little heaver and it does have a little bit “not much” dead rise plus I had the big motor that really would be over kill on a flat bottom 16. Can’t wait to see the rest of your progress. Lots of pics bro.

Country Dave said:
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333576#p333576 said:
smackdaddy53 » Yesterday, 21:10[/url]"]Thank you Dave. Your build and a few others have been the ones I read every post of and helped me a bunch. There is a ton of information and great Ideas (and a few lessons learned) that I am sure helped and will help many people.
The float test will be soon, probably next week some time. I just want to see how she sits and see how many pinholes I need to weld before the hull gets the GatorGlide coating.

Hey thanks Smack,

That’s much appreciated bro. This site is pretty cool and a great resource. I got inspired when I saw Jon Boat Jerry’s bad azz build. I think you have the perfect skinny water set up. I’m not a big deck boat guy and I like a prop instead of a jet but your build is going work real good. 1652 tunnel flat bottom with a little bit of a mod V and float pods, that’s the chit……………………………… :mrgreen:

My next build will be 1652 prop tunnel mod V all welded flat bottom with float pods. I wish I could have found 16 mod V all welded flat bottom when I was looking. The 1752 came along and the price was too good to let it go. My 17 is a little heaver and it does have a little bit “not much” dead rise plus I had the big motor that really would be over kill on a flat bottom 16. Can’t wait to see the rest of your progress. Lots of pics bro.
Thanks Bigwave and Dave!
I am going to do the float test with some weight in the area where the gas tank and batteries will be and determine if this build may become a modification of a modification. I may cut out an area for my console and legs to go to lower the center of gravity, leaving the front deck and rear deck with the platform on it where it is. That is what I like about doing this myself, I can make it however I want and I left the framing open so I could change up mid build if I wanted to. We shall see very soon!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333500#p333500 said:
Country Dave » 31 Oct 2013, 21:23[/url]"]Wow that looks really good bro, tight work........................... =D>

X2 VERY NICE WORK =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Just cut/fit the top piece of my tunnel and intake fins to weld on my jet foot. It isn't much but I drank a few brewskies and did a whole lot of eyeballing and thinking. That is what I love about doing this kind of work, you don't just plop down a few months worth of money and buy it, you use problem solving and learn as you go to make what you invisioned from day one. And that is also the great part as I stated before, your end product may be very close to what you were thinking of in the first place or it can evolve over the duration of the build and make a functioning unit.
Here you go...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383437185.045735.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383437258.445343.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383437277.661935.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383437318.428396.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383437356.128379.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383437416.395173.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383437541.861740.jpg

Here is the hull with the motor mounted, I will be dismounting the motor tomorrow and taking it to the welding shop again for the "final" welds. I am sure there will be some small additions that will need to be welded later but for now my focus is to get the Pole Dancer in the water to see how she drafts. I left the lifting harness on and the blue tape keeps dirt dauber wasps from building nests in my motor while it is in hibernation. The top deck sheets and all that are in the shop for now. She is bare bones!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383441731.449786.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383441787.249686.jpg

Broke out the grinder and twisted wire cup wheel and got after it Monday for about an hour after work, yesterday I got about another hour in and burned up my "new" grinder and had to go pick another one up and today I finished up one side down to bare aluminum.
You have to wear that safety gear or the aluminum dust, old paint and wire shrapnel will get the best of you. I hope to finish up tomorrow on the other side and take off the motor. I unbolted the jet foot to take with me to weld the intake fins on while it is at the shop again. Hopefully this will be the last time to drag it the 100 mile round trip to my buddies shop.
On a side note, I am trying to wrap my head around the best place to put my two drain holes. My tunnel and pods take up all of my transom so maybe I will have to come out of the bottom ribs on each side of the tunnel like it was before.
It is not much but it is progress!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383783780.144977.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383783799.978323.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383783815.428164.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383783828.494883.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383783841.044647.jpg

I like your idea of a drop down seating area for the driver.....it reminds me of a fighter jet.....that thing is looking awesome.

bigwave said:
I like your idea of a drop down seating area for the driver.....it reminds me of a fighter jet.....that thing is looking awesome.
Thanks guys, I will run my float test after my buddy finishes the welding and go from there. With a 25 gallon gas tank below deck and three batteries down there I don't think it will be topheavy. My gas tank is going to be wide and only 7 3/4" deep to keep my center of gravity low. I have had lots of skeptics saying I am going to flip it the first time I slide a little and catch a wave...I am not seeing myself trying to do 360's, I am just going to fish off it and use it to get to my wadefishing spots.
Believe it or not, with the motor off and just the hull and top deck sheets on it I can pick up the whole rear of the boat off the trailer. The framing is not that heavy.

About to go wire wheel the rest of the paint off and take the motor off and try to get it to the shop and weld a little more on it. I am ready to get to the next step!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333982#p333982 said:
smackdaddy53 » 15 minutes ago[/url]"]About to go wire wheel the rest of the paint off and take the motor off and try to get it to the shop and weld a little more on it. I am ready to get to the next step!

You go brother.......................... =D>

Ok, finally got the final day of welding scheduled for Tuesday next week...once this is done it is all downhill from there. I am ready to get this thing rolling at a faster pace!
Oh yeah, I burned up another brand new grinder right as I finished wire wheeling the last of the paint off. At this pace I should have three more grinders to take back after I flip it and finish the bottom...it sure does look clean and pretty with all that OD Green paint off of it. The Tuffcoat and GatorGlide should adhere to it well.

I am nearing rigging stage with my build so I figured I would keep an eye out for items I will need soon...
Scored 3 Optima blue top D31M batteries with trays and straps, a 4 bank MinnKota onboard charger, Minn Kota battery indicator that shows charge status of three batteries and all the leads that go with them for $500! The batteries load tested 95%...could not pass it up, $1250 for all of it new.
Also got a 21' Stiffy Guide Series push pole that has only been used a few times for $600, new ones go for about $900.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334679#p334679 said:
smackdaddy53 » 57 minutes ago[/url]"]I am nearing rigging stage with my build so I figured I would keep an eye out for items I will need soon...
Scored 3 Optima blue top D31M batteries with trays and straps, a 4 bank MinnKota onboard charger, Minn Kota battery indicator that shows charge status of three batteries and all the leads that go with them for $500! The batteries load tested 95%...could not pass it up, $1250 for all of it new.
Also got a 21' Stiffy Guide Series push pole that has only been used a few times for $600, new ones go for about $900.

Sweet................................................... =D>

I took the boat to the shop Tuesday and we got everything welded but the two drain tubes, stress cracks on the poling platform and the gunnel cap corners. I am pretty happy with where it is so far.
I know my build is not as in depth as others but it has been a pretty cut and dried build so far. I will get more detailed when I start the rigging and coating process. Here are a few photos of the project so far:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385138482.743557.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385138500.993066.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385138529.760040.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385138545.909641.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385138557.843194.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385138574.459712.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385138587.992438.jpg

Latest posts