Country Dave’s Lowe 1752 modification/restoration project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
screw community college courses. they are crap. Waste of money, and the "instructor" is usually not very experienced to begin with and is just there to babysit and tell you your doing awesome. Im a pipe welder/ rigwelder by trade, and came up the hard way... being a helper. The best way IMHO...If you have any questions just holler. I can help you out as best as I can. But the best way is just getting after it...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335655#p335655 said:
-coaltrain- » Today, 19:13[/url]"]screw community college courses. they are crap. Waste of money, and the "instructor" is usually not very experienced to begin with and is just there to babysit and tell you your doing awesome. Im a pipe welder/ rigwelder by trade, and came up the hard way... being a helper. The best way IMHO...If you have any questions just holler. I can help you out as best as I can. But the best way is just getting after it...

Coaltrin I believe you're probably right,

I was just looking at all avenues, once I set my mind on something I'm always moving forward, not always as fast as I might like but moving forward never the less......................................... :LOL2:

Awesome boat, Country Dave!

On the subject of TIG welding, I'm an AWS certified welder with about 2 decades experience. So, I'll add to the conversation, a few things I've learned over the years.

Thoriated tungsten is for steel and stainless, it should not be used on aluminum because it contaminates the weld. It might be easier to weld with thoriated, but it's not recommended for aluminum.

A foot pedal is DEFINITELY a big help, especially for starting out. Once you've done it for a while, you can learn to weld with fixed amperage, controlling the puddle by using a larger diameter tungsten and filler rod, and varying arc length, but it's still tricky.

When welding aluminum, metal cleanliness is of utmost importance, ESPECIALLY with TIG. Use only a stainless wire brush, and only use this brush for aluminum, nothing else! Aluminum oxide interferes with proper puddle formation, and this oxide forms immediately upon exposure to the air. It is this oxide which makes aluminum nice and shiny, but it is also this oxide that is problematic. It's really a SOB with anodized aluminum, such as T-tops, because that's what the anodizing is, an oxidizing process. That said, you'll want to use plenty of elbow grease and wire brush the weld area until it turns dull-looking, then you know you have removed the oxides, and this includes making sure to get the edges of cut material, as well. Make sure you brush not only the weld side of the material, but the back side as well, because of the possibility of oxide pick-up as the metal begins to heat.

Make sure your filler rod is clean, as well, or it will just melt into a blob, and won't wick into the puddle when you dip it. Stainless steel wool is probably the best way to clean the filler rod before use, because it removes the oxide. DO NOT use sandpaper, it contains aluminum oxide, which is what we want to get rid of! And do not use regular steel wool, or this will cause iron contamination. If you don't have SS wool, a scotch brite pad is the next best thing. But if nothing else, take a clean paper towel and wipe it down to remove excess dust, etc.

For TIG welding aluminum, the rule of thumb is 1 amp for every .001" of material thickness. Welding mild or stainless steel doesn't require as much heat for a given thickness, and this is because aluminum has 3 times the thermal conductivity of steel. When welding steel, the heat is localized, and can be concentrated onto the area, rapidly creating a puddle, even on thick material with low amperage. But on aluminum, the heat instantly spreads out, so, it requires more amperage. Also, pre-heating with a torch will help on thick pieces.

However, unless you have a big industrial TIG machine, you will find a point at which you can't turn it up enough to weld aluminum, and this is generally around 3/16" (or 180-200 amps) for most buzzbox welders using a hi-freq unit. Also remember that when using a hi-freq on AC, you must de-rate the machine's duty cycle by 1/2. So, for a 20% duty cycle machine at full amperage, using hi-freq, you only have a 10% duty cycle before you start tripping breakers or burning up your machine.

Due to those limitations, once you get above 3/16", you really need to use MIG to weld aluminum. For thin material TIG is champ, but on heavier stuff, MIG is the way to go. However, if you want to guarantee a liquid-tight weld the first time, such as welding aluminum fuel tanks, then TIG is what you want. MIG often has porosity inclusions that would otherwise be non-critical, but on something like a fuel tank, any inclusion is unacceptable, and a place for a leak to begin, so, things like this are usually done with TIG.

As stated above, I think the best way to learn if form someone like PSG-1.....He has probably been there done that when it comes to welding. Great explanation PSG.

Hey thanks PSG-1, and thanks for the great info,

I’m learning a lot more about Tig every day. I’m not bad with oxygen and acetylene and not to bad stick welding ether. The little bit of Mig I’ve done with the spool gun wasn’t bad but my friend set the wire feed sped etc then handed me the helmet and gun.

You’ve confirmed my understanding about thin vs. thicker aluminum and the best way to weld them. My understand is 3/16 and down Tig is best, too hard to Mig thin aluminum and hard to Tig the thick stuff. I also know you can’t re-temper the aluminum so I’m thinking the least amount of heat that will get the job done the better.

I also think you would have a little bit better control when Tiging, I know the welds sure look nice provided the person doing it has been doing it for awhile. The machine I’m getting will do aluminum or steel up to ¼ inch and has a Square-wave inverter and 45% duty cycle. I probably won’t need to weld anything thicker than 0.125 at least for project…………………………………………. :LOL2:

Thanks again for the great info.

CD, if you have tinkered with oxyacetylene welding, TIG is very much the same, so, adhere to the basics you learned from torch welding, and you should be able to pick up TIG pretty easy.

Not entirely true that you can't re-temper aluminum. You post-heat it to bring it back to its normal condition after it has become work-hardened by a process known as 'annealing' Light your torch to a carbuerizing flame (sooty) and cover the workpiece until it's black with soot. Then set for a neutral flame, and heat the material until you see the carbon burn off. Then let it slowly cool on its own. At this point, it can be considered annealed, or 're-tempered' if you will.

When welding heavy aluminum, like, anything heavier than 1/4", pre-heat is a good idea, bring it up to around 350-400 degrees, and it will weld like magic. Also, pre-heat prevents the possibility of hot-short cracking, caused by the mass of cold aluminum quickly sucking the heat out of the weld and causing a crack, much like cast iron will do when you try to weld it. (Again, remember that aluminum has 3X the thermal conductivity of steel, which means the heat gets spread out quickly) Doubling back at the end of your weld eliminates a crater or fish-eye, which can also lead to cracking.

As for machine duty cycle, bear in mind this is at the full power setting. So, in other words, for a 200 amp machine rated at 20%, if you were running 100 amps, the duty cycle would be about 40%, meaning you can weld for 4 out of 10 minutes before you have to let the machine rest and cool down. If the machine has its own built in stabilizer, then disregard the information about de-rating the duty cycle, the factory number applies. But if you are adding on a high frequency unit that is seperate from the welder, then you do have to de-rate the duty cycle by 50%. But only if you are using continuous HF. If you are only using HF starting, such as on stainless or steel, etc, then, you don't have to worry about de-rating the duty cycle.

If you have to weld really dirty aluminum, TIG is the answer, because, unlike MIG, which continuously feeds wire to the puddle, with TIG you can hold arc and let it burn out the impurity before adding filler metal. Sometimes, though, you may have to 'oxygen clean' the material. Best way is to use a torch with a cutting tip, light a neutral flame, then move the flame across the area you want to clean, and hit the oxygen cutting lever. This will cause rapid oxidation of impurities, which you then clean of the surface with the wire brush. Be careful when doing this, if you get the material too hot and hit the cutting lever, you can melt it!

The guy on youtube with welding tips and tricks has some really good videos, and as much as it pains me to say it, he's a better welder than I am on a lot of his stuff. But remember, welds don't have to be pretty to be strong. I have seen many a TIG weld that looked nice and pretty and there was no visible lumpy weld, crack and break (not enough filler metal, trying to run the seam as neatly as possible). Contrarily, I have seen some chit that looked like wads of chewed bubble gum, hold together for a long time.

Just remember that aluminum is only 1/3 the strength of steel, so, when you do some bend tests, don't be discouraged when it breaks on a root bend. Or even a face bend. This is just the nature of aluminum. Annealing will help somewhat, but again, we are dealing with a material 1/3 the strength of steel, so, just bear that in mind when designing, fabricating and welding aluminum.

Man I feel like I am in shop class.....I sure wish I would have taken that elective many moons ago when I was in high school. I cant wait to see what projects you guys bring to the table next time. PSG-1 you thought about a new project? Are you still debating making your own line of boats?

Bigwave, you can probably guess, but shop class was my favorite class in high school!

I still want to get into building some boats. Over the last few years, I've had about 3 dozen inquiries, but so far, no takers. People tend to balk when they hear the price of $2000-$2500 to install a jet unit and engine. I guess they think I'm trying to gouge them.

Obviously, they haven't priced what it costs to procure, maintain, and operate all the equipment required to do it correctly. That's a big part of the cost. The other part of the cost is for the skill and experience of someone who has been there and done it, and knows what it requires for it to work, and work for a long time with no issues.

Had a local guy contact me the other day, he's one of my youtube subscribers, and lives about 40 miles from here. He has a hull and was interested in a build. I told him I still have the VX110 engine and pump that I was going to use for another build that the guy backed out on. Hoping maybe he will want me to build him a jetboat so I can recover my money for that engine, as well as making some more money.

But if all else fails, I think I'll be building a river class jetboat next spring. And it WILL have a UHMW bottom. First test for that boat, (after a maiden voyage/trial run here at home) will be to run the Pee Dee River from the NC/SC line up to Blewett Falls, going through all those lateral steps and rocks.

So, either way, I'll be posting another project soon!

man, and I thought this thread couldn't get any better.. well I was wrong. I eat, sleep, and breath this stuff. Country, what machine are you looking to get? I was looking at the miller Syncro wave 200 or 250 dx... But prices are STEAP!!!! lol. Probably end up with a everlast, but kinda hesitant as Ive never owned one. Hope I can start my build soon. post more pics up if you can, You have one sexy boat sir. PSG-1... nice posts. I sure do appreciate it when people take their time to share their experience and knowledge with others.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335804#p335804 said:
-coaltrain- » Today, 00:12[/url]"]man, and I thought this thread couldn't get any better.. well I was wrong. I eat, sleep, and breath this stuff. Country, what machine are you looking to get? I was looking at the miller Syncro wave 200 or 250 dx... But prices are STEAP!!!! lol. Probably end up with a everlast, but kinda hesitant as Ive never owned one. Hope I can start my build soon. post more pics up if you can, You have one sexy boat sir. PSG-1... nice posts. I sure do appreciate it when people take their time to share their experience and knowledge with others.

I think I'm going to get the Eastward TIG 200. There is a pic on page 62

Well I can hardly believe it but it’s been one year ago today I started this build thread,

I was thinking like 6 mounts to transform her and to my own defense I really didn’t know when I started this project that I would do all the mods that I’ve done. There was also a point when I said hey, WTF are you doing, this isn’t a race slow down enjoy the family, fishing and girlfriends a little, and so I did.

I can say for the most part this build is complete and it really is, I have a couple more hours to fab some panels, a few little detail things and that's it for me, then she goes out for the “Seadek” Here are a couple of pics of what she looked like when I got her, a couple mods along the way, and how she looks now.
I want to thank everyone for their support and encouragement, it’s been fun…………………………….. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 558
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 558
  • 083.JPG
    083.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 558
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 558
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 558
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 558
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 558
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 558
  • 149.JPG
    149.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 558
  • 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 558
  • 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 558
You sure have done a great job on your boat. I look forward to your toon build, you look very happy with all your grandkids. You just had to put that snook photo in there did'nt ya.......The seadeck will look complete. :beer: :beer:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335820#p335820 said:
bigwave » 23 minutes ago[/url]"]You sure have done a great job on your boat. I look forward to your toon build, you look very happy with all your grandkids. You just had to put that snook photo in there did'nt ya.......The seadeck will look complete. :beer: :beer:

Hey much thanks Big,

Those kids are my world! And yes you know I had to post a pic of a big snooky, love those big snooky's ........................................... :mrgreen:

Killer work Dave! All that hard work on your tin has paid off handsomely.
You have a beautiful, happy family to share it with too. Merry Christmas to you all.
Jerry =D>

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335904#p335904 said:
Jonboat Jerry » Today, 12:13[/url]"]Killer work Dave! All that hard work on your tin has paid off handsomely.
You have a beautiful, happy family to share it with too. Merry Christmas to you all.
Jerry =D>

Jerry thank you so much,

I'm sure I've said it before but I believe its worth repeating. There are a few really cool, superior, extensive builds on this forum and yours is one of them, it really stuck out to me. It was the motivation for me to do a really cool build as well. Marry Christmas to you and your family as well.

HARD to believe bro... 1 year ? ****, remember it like it was only yesterday. You did a bang up job =D> =D>

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335997#p335997 said:
Badbagger » Today, 17:54[/url]"]HARD to believe bro... 1 year ? ****, remember it like it was only yesterday. You did a bang up job =D> =D>

Hey thanks brother and yes its hard to believe just how fast time goes by sometimes. The weather is going to be nice all weekend so I will finally get to finish the floor. It going to look pretty cool, pics forthcoming. I'm also going to look at Evinrude Ocean Pro 225 I ran across. The guy lives local and I think I can buy it right. If its as clean as he says it is I will try and make a deal. It would be perfect for the toon project...................................................... :mrgreen:

Sad to see you moving on Dave! Good thing is you are pretty much done and can use it for what you built it to do.
One of these days you will shed a single tear when Im posting fish pictures off my boat...lol

Latest posts