beat the heat ...... shade / cover / bimini / t-top

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about building a cheap PVC framed shelter that I would lay down to cruise and pop up to fish, hide from the sun. I've also been researching adding a misting system to cool the boat. I've seen a few and the good ones work well to cool the area when it's really hot.

The one picture posted above from "TV" is a simple shade system used on one of the boats in the show "Swamp People." Four pipes as uprights with a tarp stretched between. Simple, inexpensive and effective.

This may sound overly simplistic, but it works. When I was younger and poorer, I made a home-made bimini top from some conduit, 1/4" bolts and a silver tarp... Total cost was about $20.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a few pieces of 1/2" galvanized conduit and one piece of the next size up, which I think may be 5/8", to use for sleeves. It's really cheap, like $2.50 each. Bend two pieces to form the main arch, and then a secondary, smaller arch to fit just inside or outside the main arch, and even a third arch, if desired. Use tap-screws and maybe 6" of sleeve to connect them together.

The reason you make it so the arches "nest" inside each other, is that, instead of buying hardware, you now drill through both frames, and put 1/4" bolts through them, forming the hinges. Now your "bimini" frame is built. Get the smallest sized arch you can find, and figure out how big it must be. Then, if you have a sewing machine, fold the front and back over to make the tunnels that the tubing goes through.

OR if you are poor, like I was, use an office stapler and just staple it many times. It works.

I mounted two blocks of wood and used a single screw through the base of the main arches to secure to the side of the boat. Then I used some nylon strap to make it tight, and away I went!

Believe it or not, this only took me about an hour, and it worked great for a couple of years, until the staples started rusting out. You had to pull it tight, or it crackled when you were running.

Several of my neighbors saw mine, and asked me if I could make them one, and I sold a number of them for the AMAZING price of $60! WO-HOO!!! I was rich!

That being said, nowadays, I would just buy a jon boat bimini. Still, making your own has a certain level of satisfaction. I wish I had some pictures from back then, but I don't. Sorry!

-TH

A Bimini top can be a useful resource while not creating a headache as well.

Check out some of these photos from our customers:

thumbs_4-bow-round-tube-bimini-top-48in-height.jpg

thumbs_hester-2943.jpg

thumbs_dual-top.jpg

We offer many sizes to choose from by Carver Industries:

https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/bimini_tops/by_dimensions/

Let me know if you see a size that interests you and I will be happy to provide you with your TinBoats Forum member discounted price.

Sincerely
Shannon with Boat Covers Direct
1-866-626-8377
[email protected]

Those are some great ideas. Thanks for posting.
I think I'm going to try the conduit custom build.
I'll post the process with pictures if it all goes well

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344818#p344818 said:
Ictalurus » 13 Mar 2014, 09:02[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344748#p344748 said:
bcbouy » Yesterday, 18:55[/url]"]the bimini top is nice but too many braces and staps in the way to troll properly.especially with a 10 ft. flyrod.i like the t top for the room it leaves

You troll w/ a ten foot flyrod? :shock:

I hear you though, I got the slider track which allows me to move it forward a good bit so there's plenty of room to troll off the back.

With the sliding track are you still using the same anchor point for the straps? I guess you just re-adjust the straps whenever you slide the top one direction or the other?

With the sliding track are you still using the same anchor point for the straps? I guess you just re-adjust the straps whenever you slide the top one direction or the other?[/quote]

Great Question!

The slide track kit is usually something which is utilized when the top is laying down, to move it out of the way. However, you can in fact use the slide track kit to create multiple mounting locations for your bimini top. You would just need additional eye straps to secure the hold down straps.

We have those items available, and they are located in our accessories section at this link:

https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/accessories/bimini-hardware/

Happy to help!

Sincerely
Shannon with Boat Covers Direct
[email protected]

Thinking about mounting a rod holder to the back of my swivel seats, and just putting a small rain umbrella in it. I would think it would be out of the way enough...

We scored a broken temporary garage.
There are plenty of steel tubes to build whatever I can dream up

Here's my little umbrella + grab bar combo. It works pretty well and was very cheap/easy to make.

Attachments

• front view-umbrella 1.jpg
    front view-umbrella 1.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 3,526
  • front view-umbrella 2.jpg
    front view-umbrella 2.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 3,526
  • umbrella-stored.jpg
    umbrella-stored.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 3,526
Here is what I came up with for my boat. 6' 3" headroom.....Jerry
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20643&p=266421&hilit=alumazilla#p266421

Latest posts