58 Richline, resto mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutrageGIS

Reaction score
Hello all! New here, just picked up a 58 Richline 16'. In decent shape but has been sitting for a few years. From this site and the yahoo groups page I believe it to be a big 16 or custom 16 (by the self bailing transom). Looks like an old custom build. Boat came from Ohio and was supposedly a state game boat in the 60's and 70's. Nice center console conversion with solid plywood floors. The orig 70 hp is long gone but boat came with '68 35hp merc 350. Plan is for new carpet, seats and paint to make a general purpose fishing/pleasure rig. Looking to get the old girl on the water soon!
51901ca4-81f8-4b6e-8acb-53cf7757b23e_zps60d37ef4.jpg

a0979776-ea2f-4225-a72a-5bdb1622c0e6_zpsd47fe0c7.jpg

I would love to have that boat. Mine is a Big 16 daycruiser. Before some one chopped it up. Looks about what I think mine use to.

Steve

Finally making some progress. Fabbed up a high bench for the console with storage and a fridge beneath, made a cooler seat and mounting for in front of the console. The angle on the wheel was wrong with the higher seat, trimmed the console and made a new dashboard from aluminum plate, lubed up the steering while it was apart and now it turns much more easily.

Attachments

• photo(7).JPG
    photo(7).JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 3,563
New upholstery for front bulkhead, trimmed in cocobolo rosewood
photo(12).JPG
Front battery location behind bulkhead, low as possible for better CG
photo(11).JPG

I really like repurposing the 'walker' to a 'grab bar'…..going to probably use that….

Great looking job on the bench seat, too.

New top for console made with poly board, lifts windshield to proper height & allows cutouts for cup holders, air horn mount cut & bent from left over diamond plate
photo(16).jpg
photo(17).jpg

More Lights! Finished up overhead bar mounted LED and halogen lighting. Made a shroud /wiring cover from leftover plate and bedlinered it to prevent glare

Attachments

• photo(18).JPG
    photo(18).JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,381
  • photo(19).JPG
    photo(19).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,381
  • photo(20).JPG
    photo(20).JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 3,381
More pics of final console

Attachments

• photo(21).JPG
    photo(21).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,380
  • photo(22).JPG
    photo(22).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,380
  • photo(23).JPG
    photo(23).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 3,380
Added a flip up stern light to the antenna / air horn plate brace. Wired the grab bar lights and ran wires through grab bar and into console. Plumbed air horn with PEX and mounted horn motor under console. LOUD. Finally decided on location of front battery (under front casting deck - gets it lower and frees up space behind front bulkhead doors). Built battery mount from Lowe's shelf brackets and left over poly board. Nice and solid!
photo(26).JPG
photo(25).JPG
photo(24).JPG

You are doing a great job.

I'm torn between admiring the walker-grab bar transition most, or the $100 bimini buy.

Very nice work. Please keep posting. I want to see this when you're finished.

Thanks Kismit!
Got more electrical work done today, switch panel for front of console made from 2 walmart cutting boards with a strip of aluminum bar stock between. Radio mounted at an angle to aid viewing from bench, had to be mounted off center to clear steering cable, tight but it fits. Mocked up and then upholstered. Fabbed about half of the new wiring harness connections before I ran out of wire. Getting closer...

Attachments

• photo(27).JPG
    photo(27).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1,129
  • photo(28).JPG
    photo(28).JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,129
  • photo(29).JPG
    photo(29).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,128
Console Wiring...Pulled out all old wires and rattle canned inside the console for a clean slate. Ran new mains from 4 AWG wire for both rear and front batteries. Installed battery selector switch. Made buss supply boxes from residential electrical boxes with buss strips inside, positive on left, negative on right. Horn motor mounted at top.

Attachments

• photo(32).JPG
    photo(32).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,108
  • photo(33).JPG
    photo(33).JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,108
Battery selector switch mounted with waterproof cover made from small tackle box. Left side of console:

Attachments

• photo(30).JPG
    photo(30).JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,108
  • photo(31).JPG
    photo(31).JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,108
Finished wiring today (except for battery gauge which I need more crimp on eyelets to install), see the sphaghetti mess in the console before looming - still highly populated but tolerable after cleaning up. Pic shows the breaker panel/radio panels made from cutting boards, leave the handles because they are handy for carrying around. Finally back together / everything works!

Attachments

• photo(34).JPG
    photo(34).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • photo(35).JPG
    photo(35).JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,088
  • photo(36).JPG
    photo(36).JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • photo(37).JPG
    photo(37).JPG