FishyItch's 16' Lund Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
Whenever I have any free time to spend with my boat I always think, "I'll go fishing." I never think to myself, "I should really replace these crappy benches and fix this boat up." Well, I finally decided to rip out the old benches and start from scratch.

Here are some pictures of the boat.

Attachments

• emptybenches.jpg
    emptybenches.jpg
    874.1 KB · Views: 1,766
  • outboard1.jpg
    outboard1.jpg
    722.6 KB · Views: 1,766
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 1,766
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 1,766
The first thing I needed to figure out was how I wanted to attach the benches to the boat. There are brackets riveted into the hull of the boat, but it seemed like sliding a carpeted piece of plywood into that bracket would be a pain in the neck. (The first picture below is of the bracket.) I also didn't want to carpet over the metal bracket itself like the previous owner did.

I decided the new benches would sit on top of the bracket. The problem here is that the new benches are then raised up higher than where the original benches were. This means then are too high to get any support from the aluminum sides of the bench that hold the foam.

What I decided to do was cut a plywood "skeleton" to slide in to where the old benches were. I cut a lot of wood out of a few of these skeletons, but they still provide support and allow the actual benches to make contact with all the support the boat provides. It's a little bit of added weight, but it's not much.

There are a lot of pictures below.

Attachments

• fuelcover_top1.jpg
    fuelcover_top1.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 1,719
  • fuelcover_skelly.jpg
    fuelcover_skelly.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench4_top1.jpg
    bench4_top1.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench4_skelly.jpg
    bench4_skelly.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench3_top2.jpg
    bench3_top2.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench3_top1.jpg
    bench3_top1.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench3_skelly.jpg
    bench3_skelly.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench2_top2.jpg
    bench2_top2.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench2_top1.jpg
    bench2_top1.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench2_skelly.jpg
    bench2_skelly.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench1_top2.jpg
    bench1_top2.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench1_top1.jpg
    bench1_top1.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bench1_skelly.jpg
    bench1_skelly.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 1,719
  • bracketgap.jpg
    bracketgap.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 1,719
Here's my solution for the storage in the second bench from the stern. I cut the top of off a Sterilite trash bin and I'm going to fit that inside the bench below the hatch. It's going to fit pretty well I think once I cut some of the foam out. And yes, I will be replacing the foam elsewhere. :D

Attachments

• bench2_storagebin.jpg
    bench2_storagebin.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 1,719
This is about where the seats will be when I'm using the 11" posts. There are a little high at 34" from the floor, but I think it's still more stable than building the floor up into a raised deck. Of course, I might need to build the floor up a little in the front-most floor section just because it isn't as naturally level as the other two sections.

Swivl-Eze does make 6" posts so I could always get those instead if I didn't like the stability of the boat with the seats so high.

Attachments

• seatheight.jpg
    seatheight.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 1,716
  • bench3_seat.jpg
    bench3_seat.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 1,716

Latest posts