rhino jet jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianb2247

Reaction score
Just ordered a 1448 rhino boat from james river jets .125 thickness. puttig a center console in it.
Putting a newly rebuilt tigershark 640 engine in it never seen anyone do this to such a solid boat
been doing figuring and calculating in my head over and over not really putting any thing inside kinda no frills boat
build.basically just a minnkota deckhand anchor up front tigershark in the back battery under the console. Any one have a 1448 jet jon with experience or advise on build

Sounds good, I've been looking for builders that would do a jet jon, keep us updated.

Shooter will suggest you skip the Tigershark and got with something that will last.

650cc in a Rhino might not be an impressive performer but should run pretty well. Not sure on the weight.

Im doing the install one thing I like about this is the boat is built for the motor coast guard rated for the engine jim said no problem

Im looking for a outboard motor control with the key start and trim switches any one have one laying around

For that hull thickness, your choice of a 640cc engine seems a little small. First rule is that you don't want to over-lug these engines. You want the boat to have enough power that it doesn't have to over-work the engine to get up on plane. This saves fuel, saves you from dredging the river bottom, and may save your engine from wear and tear of being over-worked. If you were running an .062" or even an .090" hull, I would say a 701cc Yamaha engine would be a good one for your project. But your hull is a bit heavier, so, IMO, you should look for something in the 800-1000cc range.

As for the choice of engine, honestly, you would be better served to pick something like a seadoo or a yamaha engine. Arctic Cat no longer makes Tigershark engines, and parts are becoming obsolete. If you can even find new parts, you will pay far more for the Tigershark parts than you would for another engine manufacturer's parts. And from my own personal experience with tigershark engines, definitely not the best choice of engines unless you know how to do all your own mechanic work.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361967#p361967 said:
PSG-1 » 02 Aug 2014, 08:33[/url]"]For that hull thickness, your choice of a 640cc engine seems a little small. First rule is that you don't want to over-lug these engines. You want the boat to have enough power that it doesn't have to over-work the engine to get up on plane. This saves fuel, saves you from dredging the river bottom, and may save your engine from wear and tear of being over-worked. If you were running an .062" or even an .090" hull, I would say a 701cc Yamaha engine would be a good one for your project. But your hull is a bit heavier, so, IMO, you should look for something in the 800-1000cc range.

As for the choice of engine, honestly, you would be better served to pick something like a seadoo or a yamaha engine. Arctic Cat no longer makes Tigershark engines, and parts are becoming obsolete. If you can even find new parts, you will pay far more for the Tigershark parts than you would for another engine manufacturer's parts. And from my own personal experience with tigershark engines, definitely not the best choice of engines unless you know how to do all your own mechanic work.

The weight difference between .100 and .125 of a small 1448 jon is minimal and jet drives do not lug or care how heavy the craft is.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362078#p362078 said:
PSG-1 » 03 Aug 2014, 08:26[/url]"]Yeah, what the hell would I know? LOL
Maybe I am wrong and I am open to learning something new. How do you lug a properly matched engine and water jet?

A smartly constructed 1448 .125 jon shouldn't weigh much more than one of thinner aluminum. The thicker outer hull enables the boat to have fewer cross braces. Console, decking and such could be made of lighter gauge material. (My opinion for what it is worth)

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/gauge-sheet-d_915.html

Weight per square foot, lots of square foots on a 1448 with 20" sides.

.063" = .9lb
.100" = 1.43lb
.125" = 1.81lb

If this is the critter, it's gonna be a pig with a 640 installed.

https://www.rhinoboat.com/boat-models/15-fisherman

Since the OP doesn't say what pump he's running it's hard to give a decent estimate on how the hull will perform. I know that you can lose a huge amount of performance when the pump and engine do not play well together. Add in the fun of pushing a heavy hull and i can see some cavitation or just stern dragging if the hull won't go on plane easily. Not having the performance to pop the hull on plane quickly is gonna suck when the water is low.

I consider my hull pretty no frills and it works remarkably well with a 717 engine / pump from a '95 Seadoo Xp. My light hull flat out scoots across the water at 40+ and will stay on plane down to below 15 mph if I aim the nozzle down.

I can't say how weight affects the performance of an outboard jet, but I can definitely tell you that it has an effect on an inboard jet or a PWC.

As shown above, .125" sheet weighs more per square foot than .090" or .100" For an engine under 700cc, if you're using thick material for the hull, then it needs to be a short boat, like one of those New Zealand style jets. A 14 ft boat means more surface area, and more resistance.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362124#p362124 said:
PSG-1 » 03 Aug 2014, 14:39[/url]"]I can't say how weight affects the performance of an outboard jet, but I can definitely tell you that it has an effect on an inboard jet or a PWC. As shown above, .125" sheet weighs more per square foot than .090" or .100" For an engine under 700cc, if you're using thick material for the hull, then it needs to be a short boat, like one of those New Zealand style jets. A 14 ft boat means more surface area, and more resistance.
I get that .125 aluminum weighs more than .090 or .100, and total boat weight affects boat performance. I agree there are better choices of power, however the poster asked about the TS640.

PSG-1 » 03 Aug 2014,[/url]"]First rule is that you don't want to over-lug these engines.
My point is simply this: The engine will not lug because the boat weighs more. The TS640 will spin the pump the same whether the hull weighs 400 or 800 pounds.

Yeah, wrong term, more cavitation inducement if it can't get up on plane to help ram feed the pump. I know mine when it was sucking some air around the shaft seal revved out fine but was sluggish to launch and felt slower. Took me a long time to realize what was going on.

Well I should be picking up the boat next week .I have gone through every thing rebuilt engine, carb, jet pump.gone over all the wiring . Gonna take pics and post them soon . Btw the ski ive used was a 94 daytona tigershark, stock hp is 72 hp ive bored it out .040 ported and polished intake manifold and head the carb is a mikuni sbn 46 thinking 75 -80 hp

71Fish said:
PSG-1 » 03 Aug 2014, 14:39[/url]"]I can't say how weight affects the performance of an outboard jet, but I can definitely tell you that it has an effect on an inboard jet or a PWC. As shown above, .125" sheet weighs more per square foot than .090" or .100" For an engine under 700cc, if you're using thick material for the hull, then it needs to be a short boat, like one of those New Zealand style jets. A 14 ft boat means more surface area, and more resistance.
I get that .125 aluminum weighs more than .090 or .100, and total boat weight affects boat performance. I agree there are better choices of power, however the poster asked about the TS640.

PSG-1 » 03 Aug 2014,[/url]"]First rule is that you don't want to over-lug these engines.
My point is simply this: The engine will not lug because the boat weighs more. The TS640 will spin the pump the same whether the hull weighs 400 or 800 pounds.
Dude, if you think ranchero and psg don't have any weight on the quesion at hand you are wrong. I would second guess myself if they told me I was wrong. They are "real world" jet heads, not hypothetical ones.

Not really worried about performance buddy of mine has a .100 1448 welded with a 1995 tigershark montego 640 which is 60 hp I way 250 he weighs 225 boat weighed 450 acooler full food and drinks,5 fishing poles trolling motor and battery, one tackle box 37 mph gps comes out of the hole very nice thinking the boat is a little bigger yet more hp stock than his it hypothetically should perform.

Latest posts