UPDATE: This could be coming to your state soon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366422#p366422 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 17 Sep 2014, 10:44[/url]"]
obviously you fail to see the larger picture. This isn't about what it costs or what it's for, but is about the fact that a state has decided that they can force you to pay a private company for any reason, merely by being in that state, and on a federal road.

again, what if they decided that upon entering the state you had to pay to have a safety inspection done by a private company? Would you object then? It's for your own safety after all.
enjoy your massively bloated government.

My state already has a an annual vehicle inspection requirement, as do most states. And get this....the inspections are done by a private company (ie. your mechanic). And.......it's been that way for decades.

Consider the 10$ fee a toll. If you want to have your GPS reroute you around an entire state or avoid visiting a state altogether to avoid a $10 toll...that's your prerogative.....no matter how absurd. It's $10 to help prevent habitat destruction. I think you need to find something a little more worthwhile to get bent out of shape over.

no, "most" states do not, and I live in one that doesn't. So if I drive through your state should I have to pay your state to inspect my car? What if I was simply towing a vehicle on a trailer? Should that also get inspected? Should every brand new car on a commercial car hauler that passes through be subject to inspection?
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/03/15/need-vehicle-inspections-pennsylvania/
as of 2012 there were 12 states that still required inspections. So much for "most". :roll:

whatever. This discussion is pointless because you believe that it's the right thing to do, and using that emotion you have rationalized state sponsored extortion.
I'm done here. Carry on.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366423#p366423 said:
nsjames » 16 minutes ago[/url]"]
obviously you fail to see the larger picture. This isn't about what it costs or what it's for, but is about the fact that a state has decided that they can force you to pay a private company for any reason, merely by being in that state, and on a federal road.

again, what if they decided that upon entering the state you had to pay to have a safety inspection done by a private company? Would you object then? It's for your own safety after all.

My state already has a an annual vehicle inspection requirement, as do most states. And get this....the inspections are done by a private company (ie. your mechanic). And.......it's been that way for decades.

Consider the 10$ fee a toll. If you want to have your GPS reroute you around an entire state or avoid visiting a state altogether to avoid a $10 toll...that's your prerogative.....no matter how absurd. It's $10 to help prevent habitat destruction. I think you need to find something a little more worthwhile to get bent out of shape over.

no, "most" states do not, and I live in one that doesn't. So if I drive through your state should I have to pay your state to inspect my car? What if I was simply towing a vehicle on a trailer? Should that also get inspected? Should every brand new car on a commercial car hauler that passes through be subject to inspection?
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/03/15/need-vehicle-inspections-pennsylvania/
as of 2012 there were 12 states that still required inspections. So much for "most". :roll:

whatever. This discussion is pointless because you believe that it's the right thing to do, and using that emotion you have rationalized state sponsored extortion.
I'm done here. Carry on.

You should go join one of those doomsday militias and fight the power! Haha. $10 my friend...$10.

so again, you have no argument other than "it's just ten dollars"
ten dollars here, ten dollars there
what happens when they decide to raise that to 50 dollars, or 100?
Your view is very myopic.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366427#p366427 said:
nsjames » 1 minute ago[/url]"]so again, you have no argument other than "it's just ten dollars"
ten dollars here, ten dollars there
what happens when they decide to raise that to 50 dollars, or 100?
Your view is very myopic.

NO.... my view is that this is a modest fee that goes to a good cause. What if they raise this and what if this or do that...and any other slippery slope argument fallacy doesn't matter. You're the myopic one. You are likely the type that opposes any government endeavor simply because it is a endeavor by the government, no matter the reasoning behind it.

If the Old Dominion wanted to follow suit. I would gladly pay the fee to support saving our waters from this hydrilla weed that chokes out ecosystems. And if you didn't want to visit my state because of it, I would say we are better off not having people that don't want to support keeping our waters free from invasive species.

Modest fee or not it's still extortion. That's like just because you decide to come fish my River, the state forces you to buy a trout unlimited membership to my local chapter. Is that fair? Absolutely not. But let's skip the fees and look at the end result...the people that don't give a hoot right now about invasive species will after paying their "modest" fee, continue to not give a hoot. They'll continue to spread them and do what it is they do. Ripping off everyone over some stupid training isn't going to change the people that don't want to change. Where will all these little fees end?

Next up: Buying a fishing license is extortion. Registering your boat is extortion. Tags for your trailer is extortion. Required boat safety training is extortion.

Get a grip guys. This is not extortion.

Buying a fishing license for my state to fish is fair. Because I'm fishing....in my state. Registering my boat to operate in my state...is fair. Registering my boat and taking training to drive through another state is just idiocy

I agree with you Jonah. It is just like paying a toll on a road. If you don't want to pay the toll take a different route. From what I see the cost is only $5.00 not $10.00 I think they are doing this because now the laws for aquatic invasive species (AIS) will have more teeth. Our DNR has always given out AIS decals to place on your trailer. I never put the stickers on my trailer because by doing so you could be issued a ticket for just a stem of a weed somewhere on your equipment. I believe this was done so that the authorities would know if you had been educated on AIS. You will no longer be able to plead ignorance on the subject. Although it will not stop the spread of AIS, it will certainly slow it down.

Why not just collect the $10 fee at the boat ramps for out of state boats? Not to long ago, I moved from California to Georgia and not once did I stop and put a boat in the water. I can't even remember how many states I drove through to get here. At $10 per state it adds up pretty good. And I was on a budget. If I'm going to do some boating and/or fishing is one thing, but just passing through? I don't think so.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Next up: Buying a fishing license is extortion. Registering your boat is extortion. Tags for your trailer is extortion. Required boat safety training is extortion.

Long time lurker, rare poster here, but this topic has my attention.

Your analogy is not correct.

Based on your comparison, I would have to buy a fishing license just to simply have my fishing pole in my trunk as I drive through your State.

This law is far too reaching. I am all about conservation, but being environmentally considerate does not automatically immune an idea from being stupid.

One more example of the dangers of big government and of those that support it.

If you want to fish in Minnesota, you have to buy a fishing license. If you want to trailer your boat on their highways, you need this decal. Both are fees for use of resources. Analogy = correct.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366681#p366681 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 41 minutes ago[/url]"]If you want to fish in Minnesota, you have to buy a fishing license. If you want to trailer your boat on their highways, you need this decal. Both are fees for use of resources. Analogy = correct.

Using your analogy I can safely come to the conclusion that you would have no problem if state surrounding your state required you to purchase a decal to also drive in their state. After all, the added fee would be justified because you would be using their resources.

Nope. Wouldn't be the first or last road toll I've paid. The toll just to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel here in the Old Dominion is $13...$18 if you're towing a single axel trailer.

And yet with all the inspections they impose on us here in va. there are more carbacues on the sides of the freeways in hampton roads not to mention more abandoned/broke down vehicles than any other state that i have lived in. also va requries a boater safety course for boats with engines bigger than 20 or 25 i believe and yet people still get killed or kill someone on the water after taking a course and acting like fools. people will not listen to what they had to pay ten dollars for. look at all the idiots on the roads and lakes in va. you think they will care about and put to practice something they are forced to read.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366681#p366681 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » Yesterday, 12:00[/url]"]If you want to fish in Minnesota, you have to buy a fishing license. If you want to trailer your boat on their highways, you need this decal. Both are fees for use of resources. Analogy = correct.

No. Analogy = wrong.

Your analogy has the person DRIVING through Minnesota (with a rod in trunk), not fishing in Minnesota, therefor the "fishing" license SHOULD not and IS NOT required.

That being true (which it is) then why shouldn't the same apply to the trailer.

I live in Ohio, and I (theoretically) got a call from my buddy in North Dakota saying he has a free boat for me if I can come get it tomorrow. Therefor I will be driving through MN tonight.

What am I supposed to do? Find the a Dept. of Motor Vehicles on a map, plan my trip around where that location is? Arrive sometime during business hours, wait in line, get the sticker and continue on my way?

Nonsense.

This is not about the fish, or the weeds. It is about crony capitalism and brain dead environmentalists milking the people for money. Raise the cost of a fishing license or boat registrations in your State (you know, the ones that use your water) and leave those who are simply passing through alone.

Perfect example of the dangers of big government control, and the people who will roll over and let them have it.

Analogy is correct, sir, even if you don't understand the concept. You could always take a privately owned interstate or highway to pick up your imaginary boat if you don't want pay the toll on the government owned roads.

I fish in Maine and have to buy the sticker. It's $20 but does nothing to actually stop the problem (up here it is primarily milfoil they are concerned with). All I do is pay my $20 and stick the sticker (it's a boat sticker, not a trailer sticker). I could have milfoil all over my trailer bunks and boat- what is a sticker going to stop? Here in NH we have lake stewards that actually check your trailer before and after you launch. They are only on specific lakes and only at certain times. I don't know what the answer is but I do know that as fishermen we should be open to any discussion that preserves our waters.

Latest posts