Codeman's 14' Lonestar V Conversion. (TM mount to start)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codeman

Reaction score
Well I started on my V bottom conversion this evening. I decided since I had the scrap laying around that I could knock out my TM mount for the front of the boat.

Start with nothing.
P6280188.jpg

Add a few odd pieces of angle iron from the scrap bin.

P6280190.jpg

Tack them together and do a test fit. Hmmm looks like i need to make some angled spacers.

P6280192.jpg

A couple of washers and a small piece of pipe, Ok thats covered.

P6280193.jpg

Add a piece of square tube for the rear brace/ mounting holes and weld it up solid.

P6280195.jpg

Add a chunk of wood for it to clamp to, and we are in business.

P6280198.jpg

Looks decent to me.

P6280200.jpg

It still needs to be painted, but I will wait till I have a chance to try it out before I go to the trouble. Hopefully it will get to see some water time this next week. I may still need to add a backing plate or something on the bottom side of the aluminum. The out side edge is very strong but even with some huge fender washers the inside flexes a bit. I'll just have to try it and see if it needs anything else. Well next come finishing the floor so I have a flat spot for your feet in the front of the boat.

I had a rig like that on an old Lone Star at one time. I cut a triangular piece of plywood to go underneath so that the pull on the bolts would be spread out over the entire area instead of at the bolt locations. That should stop your flexing. Hope I explained that good enough. :D

Looks good! Only a recommendation, but you may want to get some sheet rubber (1/8" thick maybe) and cut strips to place between the new steel mount and the aluminum foredeck where it's mounted. It will add some anti-vibration cushioning, plus aid in preventing electrolysis (would take a little while) between the dissimilar metals. The plywood backing plate under the deck, as mentioned above is a good idea! 8)

Waterwings said:
....may want to get some sheet rubber (1/8" thick maybe) and cut strips to place between the new steel mount and the aluminum foredeck where it's mounted. It will add some anti-vibration cushioning, plus aid in preventing electrolysis (would take a little while) between the dissimilar metals......

Get out of my brain! :shock: :mrgreen:

+1 on the backer for underneath, as well.

Quackrstackr said:
Waterwings said:
....may want to get some sheet rubber (1/8" thick maybe) and cut strips to place between the new steel mount and the aluminum foredeck where it's mounted. It will add some anti-vibration cushioning, plus aid in preventing electrolysis (would take a little while) between the dissimilar metals......

Get out of my brain! :shock: :mrgreen: ...

Great minds think alike :)

Looks good! :beer: The only suggestion I have other than what the others have said would be you might want to consider using a thicker piece of wood and then using a paddle bit drilling a couple of shallow holes into the wood. Then when you attach the tolling motor the round ends of clamps would go into the holes preventing the trolling motor from accidentally slipping off the mount in rough water. I was out in a friends boat with a similar setup and after taking a couple big hits from waves the motor popped off the mount and went straight to the bottom.

Thats a god idea. I was trying to figure out how to secure so even if it did come loose so it wouldn't fall off. I think I am going to put a piece of wood on both sides too.

I changed the name of this thread and I'll just keeping adding my progress here. And now I'll back up and show what I am actually starting with.

This is what I have, the title says its a '65 Lonestar it looks to be a 14' Commander to me, not 100% sure the year is correct. Also sitting on a Lonestar trailer that is in excellent shape. I have a 76 Model Merc 9.8 hp 110 motor as well as the Minn Kota trolling motor pictured above. I acquired this boat from my father in law. As far as the boat goes I have $0 in the way it sits. Not bad but there is more to the story that I won't get into here. LOL One of the previous owners did the carpet floor work that has been done and pretty much lost interest. So this is my starting point.

Boat and trailer. Oh and by the way these photos were taken last fall I'm not south of the equator. LOL

PB150002-2.jpg

Shot from behind, my father in law did replace the transom when he acquired it back (he owned it twice).

PB150004-2.jpg

What most of the inside looks like right now.

PB150005-2.jpg

PB150007-2.jpg

My plan for now is to finish the floor inserts and deck from the front seat forward and make some storage under it. I also want to set it up so a cooler/ livewell can be secured in this area of the floor behind the front seat. It obviously needs paint on the out side as well but that part can wait. I hope to get the rest of the floor and the decking done in short order, coaching/ playing on a church league softball team is killing me on time right now.

Well after having it in the water and fishing out of it for a few hours yesterday, I have made some changes to my plans. The TM mount worked out great I need to put some wood on the inside and out to give the motor a little more to clamp to but other than that it work fine. I will not be decking from the front seat forward now, not nearly stable enough. I'm going to finish putting the floor down and raise the front seat a bit. I am going to put down some deck behind the rear bench and set up a pedestal in the center of the bench for guy in back. Having a couple of motor issues that I need to deal with but all in all it did fine. I am glad I took it out before making any huge changes that I might have regretted.

I won't lie and say that I know for sure but my brother says its a white bass. Honestly I haven't fished in years I am having to re learn alot of things. All of my motorsport hobbies have gotten way to expensive because of fuel costs so I basically dusted off my nearly free boat and decided to take up fishing again. I am finding it very relaxing where used to I got bored very easy, maybe I'm getting old. :?

Latest posts