1960 Lone Star Holiday

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigngrub

Reaction score
I'm helping a friend modernize his outdated Lone Star closed bow utility runabout. It's a deep semi-V, 16' long with a 76" beam:

The first order of business was to cut out the covered bow that wastes lots of good deck and storage space:

Then there's the old timey box seat bases:

Gone:

The start of the front deck framing:

We're using .063 ga. 1-1/2" extruded aluminum angle.

We're also using 3/4" tongue and groove subflooring for the decking. This board has no core voids and a 50 yr. warranty against delamination. We're fairing and sealing the decking with epoxy resin and SM fairing compound:

After the first coat of resin we fair (fill) the rough surface with the compound to smooth it out:

After a2 coats of fairing compound and 2 coats of resin we get this:

We're also installing lots of floatation foam:

We're using both polystyrene sheet foam and 2 part expanding urethane foam:

There's already about 2-1/2 4'x8'x2" sheets of polystyrene and 2 cubic feet of expanding urethane foam in just the bow area.

Here's the front deck framing completed:

... and with the storage divider and support bulkheads installed:

I blacked out the hatch openings and the red dot will be the pedestal seat base for clarity:

Still lots of work to do with installing the main deck, steering console and the rear deck, I'll update as we proceed.

Normally I hate it when old runabouts get molested but that's looking good.

That's got a pretty wide beam for it's age. Should be a great boat. Are you going to do a side console or tiller?

Bama...

I'm with the other guy; I normally would hate to see an old Classic Lone Star chopped up, BUT......
looking at it from another prospective, you have saved her from the junk pile. =D>

Doing a real fine job, too, I might add! Can't wait to see more progress pics! 8)

Good luck with your project and be sure to keep us posted!

Keith
Tyler, Texas

Wow! That wood looks nice!.. Nice work as always! :wink:

That's a cool lookin' boat too!.. Can't wait to see it finished!

Hey jigngrub,

You are missed on the other forum.. There is a thread in the dockside chat asking if anything happened to you.

UPDATE:

Got some more work done on the tin can:

Hung the side console

More foam below the main deck.

Laid the main decking in and starting the rear deck design.

Main deck installed and fastened with pedestals laid out and T-nuts below for fasteners.

Rear deck framed with bulkheads.

Rear deck design, hatches blacked out, red is pedestal seat, and blue is 2 swivel seat bases.

Should get the front and rear deck tops in soon and then it'll really start to look like something.

jigngrub said:
I'm helping a friend modernize his outdated Lone Star closed bow utility runabout. It's a deep semi-V, 16' long with a 76" beam:

Holy crap, that's a lot of boats in that first pic!
Does your friend own a boat yard or something? :LOL2:

Latest posts