50ish old fart looking for new hobby.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiskeyJaR

Reaction score
Was wondering what would be a good beginners "package" to start off with? Have a small 12ft jon, I am able to stand in it when its just me and the dog. I not sure I would want to walk around much, chasing fish on line. How big a fight on average does a fish put up once its got a stick in its side?

Depends on the size of the fish. Are you talking about bow fishing? Gigging? Poking 'em in the eye with a stick? LOL Sorry, the last one was from a 'visual' I had. I have quite an imagination.

I go all the time in canoe. Sometimes solo...sometimes with my brother and we will both be standing. Shoot a fish, just sit down to fight him.

Skip the hand spool deal and go with a reel or an AMS retriever. Low poundage bow...anything from 25 to 40 lbs is fine. Look for an old beater on craigslist.

Here's a Killer Kanoe pic from this summer:
10333693_679620428739725_8702796438648250825_o.jpg

nice pic RiverBottom

How deep can you shot a fish, 4-6 inches? Is there a "trick" to adjust for the refracting of water and light?

WiskeyJaR said:
nice pic RiverBottom

How deep can you shot a fish, 4-6 inches? Is there a "trick" to adjust for the refracting of water and light?

A foot or two is as about as deep as I usually shoot because of water clarity here. I hear of some folks that shoot upwards of 4 and 5 foot deep (I think they shoot somewhere in the 50+ pound draw weight). Most fish for me are right at the surface. The only trick I know to get proficient is to shoot a lot and get a feel for it. They do make lasers that you can mount to the bow to help you, but I think that's unnecessary. I shoot with no sights.

do you "chum" the water at all to get the fish to the surface?

I am used to spinner rods and trout and salmon. There are some bass in the back fingers of the local lake, and some craps in the river. I Personally have not tried for the warm water fish...yet. Looking forward to a fun new "hobby" this spring.

Also, ever use a crossbow for shooting fish? Would a crossbow be too heavy for a quick shot? I'm thinking the shot will be quick to get off?

WiskeyJaR said:
do you "chum" the water at all to get the fish to the surface?

I am used to spinner rods and trout and salmon. There are some bass in the back fingers of the local lake, and some craps in the river. I Personally have not tried for the warm water fish...yet. Looking forward to a fun new "hobby" this spring.

Also, ever use a crossbow for shooting fish? Would a crossbow be too heavy for a quick shot? I'm thinking the shot will be quick to get off?

No chumming. Just troll looking for the fish in the shallows. I shoot carp and gar fish. You can use a cross bow. There are reels and bowfishing accessories made for them. I would not recommend using one though.

Latest posts