Alumacraft 1236 Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got out and tested the deck! It's is nice but is slightly tippy , I'm thinking of trying to lower it a bit. I also need to add a front portion for a trolling motor and lights

Great job on the boat!!!. And you gave me another idea for mine. I love the nylon strap handle idea for you hatch. I have 5 hatches that I added to my boat, 3 front and 2 rear when I put my decks in and have been going back and forth about the handles I wanted to use but seeing the nylon straps on yours made me wonder why I never thought of that before. I will be putting mine on this afternoon after work.

Keep up the great work.

I find the rear of the boat super stable. I have considered decking and fishing from the back end and using the area in front for storage.

Thinking of possibly making a floor similar to the rear floor for the front and a bench seat cover for the front bench seat. I would remove the drop in casting deck and drop in the floor and screw in the seat for deep water fishing or if i want to fish two people more comfortably. My only concern is going back to the lack of storage. Any Ideas?

Sadly, Max...

you have just encountered the "I need more space than I have" syndrome.

It is a prime factor in the motivation to shopping for 14 ft boats. :|

Best wishes.

I am building a new drop in deck and floor to fish two people more comfortably. This is the front platform that will bolt through the gunnel for easy switching between decks. Spar urethane marine ply, adding front light, cleat and trolling motor mount(soon). Will be carpeted

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,393
I also switched the battery location to up front due to the fact I couldn't plane the boat with only myself and so much weight in the back. The battery box in bungeed in. As a consequence I also have to lengthen the rear light, electric start and fishfinder wires to the front of the boat. The wires will all run through 1/2 inch flex tubing up to the battery in the side groove of the boat. More to come!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,393
This bad boy just arrived, the sully transducer mount. Clamps to the transom and allows adjustment to transducer height with a thumb screw. Also allows a great cord management by zip tying the ducer wire up the shaft!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,391
Your planing issue is likely due to your cavitation plate being so far below the bottom of your boat - looks like you have a long shaft motor on a short transom based on the picture you posted looking at the motor mounted on the boat on the trailer. Pull up any outboard installation guide online and you'll see a diagram of what I'm talking about. Here's one I found for reference

ml4V0Pb.jpg

Before you go dumping a bunch of $$$ on wire you might want to look into making a jack plate to close that gap up. 6hp is going to have a hard time planing a wide 12' boat especially with all that wood weight in it. Your front deck assembly while pretty is not light and transfers enough weight forward. I had a 5.5 Johnson on my 12' row boat, granted it was a V bottom not flat so it was a bit more of a plow, but it was all the motor could do to plane the boat with just me and a minimal amount of gear in it.

That's a really interesting diagram! But my motor is a 9.9 and what I would end up doing is adding a 30 pound weight in my storage compartment when alone and I would get up on plane very fast and traveled around 15 mph. So hoping the battery will accomplish the same thing

Sorry forgot to mention, that was my old motor, I have purchased a new one which is in some of my newer pics

HeckYeah, add somemore weight to it!
Down here, in FL we generally try to minimize weight to increase draft, but seems to me your goin in the opposite direction, and adding weight!
Thats kinda why I was asking before how deep you fish, cuz Id hate to hear bout cha sinkin!

When I lengthen the starting wires for the motor what gauge wire should I use? 12 gauge wire seems to line up perfectly with the original wire size.

My trolling motor mount for my front platform, 4x4 aluminum angle with 4 base holes and 5 holes to hold the wood in place. Good my to prime and paint black. More to come

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,359
My front panel mocked up, will add wood to the sides of trolling motor mount. Still need to carpet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,336
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,336
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,336
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,336
Got my front platform done! Marine ply, waterproofed with spar urethane. Installed a clear, light base, and a homemade trolling motor mount!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 922
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 922
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 922
Nicely done!

Out of curiosity - are you soldering your wire connections or just crimping? If possible, I would strongly suggest you solder them, then cover connection with Heat Shrink tubing.

CMOS

Added fold down cup holders. I used double side outdoor mounting tape. They work really well and fold out of the way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 887
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 887
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 887

Latest posts