YJs 1236 Semi V Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a few pics to give ya'll an idea of where I stand.

Attachments

• 20141020_182223_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141020_182223_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 20141114_135234.jpg
    20141114_135234.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 20141116_125741_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141116_125741_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 20141115_145838.jpg
    20141115_145838.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,307
Trailers looking good, but the winch looks a little low.

A straighter pull on the bow eye would make it easier to crank it that last foot or so to get the bow firmly against the bow stop.

Looks great, nice job with the welding! I also think the winch looks low, might put the winch on top and the v block under? Might not matter if you keep the boat light, but should make loading a bit easier.

Y_J,..Nice job extending the trailer tongue!... You turned that jet ski trailer into a nice trailer for your boat!.. Great job! :mrgreen:

I got my trailer tongue extended, and I had to (like you), so I would have room for my jack and spare tire... Looks like you will have plenty of room when you have the trailer hooked up to your truck!

Keep up the good work!... Trailer will look nice when you get it painted!

Va Larry said:
Trailers looking good, but the winch looks a little low.

A straighter pull on the bow eye would make it easier to crank it that last foot or so to get the bow firmly against the bow stop.
Yup. I was looking at that a few days ago. I'm going to raise the wench up 2 more notches and see how that works out.

OutrageGIS said:
Looks great, nice job with the welding! I also think the winch looks low, might put the winch on top and the v block under? Might not matter if you keep the boat light, but should make loading a bit easier.
Thank you. I'll have to play with it to see if it can work out with the wench on top. I need to work on the bow stop bars anyway. They seem to be off kilter to the side a bit.

WPS said:
Y_J,..Nice job extending the trailer tongue!... You turned that jet ski trailer into a nice trailer for your boat!.. Great job! :mrgreen:

I got my trailer tongue extended, and I had to (like you), so I would have room for my jack and spare tire... Looks like you will have plenty of room when you have the trailer hooked up to your truck!

Keep up the good work!... Trailer will look nice when you get it painted!
Thanks so much. It had been years since I had done any welding so I was a bit worried about how well it would hold up. After I was done I did a drop test on it. :shock: I picked it up almost chest high and dropped it a couple of times then searched for any stress cracks in the weld. None could be found so she should hold up pretty good.

Originaly I was going to paint it red to match my truck but lately I've kind of been leaning to semi-gloss black. Still pondering that though.

Another update: got the trailer painted yesterday and today. Was going to put one more coat on tomorrow but now the rain isn't cooperating.
Painted it a gloss black. Still need to come up with some fenders though. Here's some pics to share.

Attachments

• 20141204_134948_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141204_134948_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1,227
  • 20141204_135010_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141204_135010_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,227
  • 20141204_135046_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141204_135046_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,227
  • 20141204_144936_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141204_144936_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,227
Nice job, Y_J... Trailer looks great!

A long time ago, I made some fenders out of an old aluminum road sign... I went to the state road garage, and they gave me an old sign.

WPS said:

A long time ago, I made some fenders out of an old aluminum road sign... I went to the state road garage, and they gave me an old sign.
Thanks, and Thanks for the tip, WPS. I sure wanted to put on that second coat today. But the weather just wouldn't cooperate. Maybe tomorrow, I hope.
I also decided yesterday that I was going to get a couple cans of the metalic chrome paint and paint the wheeles with it. Got to put a stop to the rust that's showing up on them.

Y_J said:
WPS said:

Thanks, and Thanks for the tip, WPS. I sure wanted to put on that second coat today. But the weather just wouldn't cooperate. Maybe tomorrow, I hope.
I also decided yesterday that I was going to get a couple cans of the metalic chrome paint and paint the wheeles with it. Got to put a stop to the rust that's showing up on them.
I don't have any pictures of the fenders, that was back in 93 when I made them... I cut 2 square pieces (maybe 2'x2').. Then marked where I wanted to bolt the fender to the frame. (on top).... Then used a saw and made a cut on ''each side''... Then put the aluminum in a vise and bent the aluminum into the shape that I wanted... (Kind of hard to explain) :) ...I have some old aluminum in my scrap pile... If you need me to, I can make one to show how I did it... Just let me know.

Did you use ''Rustoleum self etching primer'' on your rims first ?... That should stop the rust!... Also, try and use a brush on a drill to get some of the rust off!... I hate trying to remove rust from rims and hate painting rims.

WPS said:
Y_J said:
WPS said:

Did you use ''Rustoleum self etching primer'' on your rims first ?... That should stop the rust!... Also, try and use a brush on a drill to get some of the rust off!... I hate trying to remove rust from rims and hate painting rims.
Not as yet. Next payday I'll get the chrome paint. I've got a couple cans of Rust Oleum self etching primer left over from the trailer to use on the wheeles. Then it's also time to start primering the boat itself. Started back to grinding out the paint on the inside of the boat today. Slowly I turn, step by step...

Haven't posted in a few days and wanted to post an update of sorts.
The trailer is ready for its inspection other than the fenders. A sheriff deputy told me that law mandates that trailers must have fenders in Georgia.
As soon as I get me a 55 gal. Metal drum, that problem will be solved. I went to the DMV and they gave me an aluminum tag with the assigned serial number for a homemade trailer and I got that riveted on the trailer tongue a couple days ago.

Last weekend I went to a yard sale and bought an old aluminum ladder for the floor support in the boat and a big spool of 12 ga wire and a brand new set of Bearing Buddies for the trailer wheels. Now if I can just figure out a way to get the old bearing protectors off. Any suggestions here?
I've got the ladder cut down to fit in the boat, relatively level and am now ready to spray the inside of the boat up to the floor line with truck bed liner then head over to Home Depot for some pink insulation foam sheets.

Only problem there is that I won't be able to do that this next payday. About a month and a half ago my desktop computer gave up the ghost and then found that my 8 yr old laptop won't even power up either. Both have power to them cause a couple of the lights come on but that's as far as they go.
So... I've got a new desktop PC being built for me to pick up on payday. I'm currently using my tablet. :p Merry Christmas to me.

Now, also the Ted Williams OBM now has new points and condenser and started putting the motor back together and got to the point of putting the nut on the crank shaft and IT WON'T GO ON. I went to get a new nut at Tractor Supply. Got there and tried it on their nut sizer and it went on with no problem. :? Can only mean one thing. The crank shaft thread itself. I couldn't see any thing wrong with it so I took a photo of it to get a close up view of it. Now I need to find me a die so I can clean up the threads on it. The only place I could find the right size was at Lowes in an $80 tap and die set. Man, that sucks.
Well, that's all the news so I'll follow up here with a few pics.

Attachments

• 20141215_143603_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141215_143603_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,197
  • 20141210_105953_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141210_105953_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,197
  • 20141210_111343_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141210_111343_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,197
  • 20141210_110048_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141210_110048_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,197
  • 20141215_143439_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141215_143439_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,197
Trailer looks good!... You done a great job on it!
Y_J said:
The trailer is ready for its inspection other than the fenders. A sheriff deputy told me that law mandates that trailers must have fenders in Georgia. As soon as I get me a 55 gal. Metal drum, that problem will be solved.
A 55 gal' plastic drum would work too... I've seen guys make fenders out of them to cover the front tires on tractors.
Y_J said:
Now if I can just figure out a way to get the old bearing protectors off. Any suggestions here?
Take a hammer and hit near the end of it.

OutrageGIS said:
Lookin good YJ! Very clean setup on the trailer!
Thank you very much. Also got one problem taken care of today. Got the nut onto the crankshaft. Wooot. Fiddled with it again this morning and got ticked off at it. Threw the motor in the back of my truck and took it to West Georgia Marine. Asked them what they would charge me to run a die down the threads to clean it up. They took care of it and didn't charge me anything. Now I can finish putting the motor back together.
Onward and upward :p

WPS said:
Trailer looks good!... You done a great job on it!
Y_J said:
Now if I can just figure out a way to get the old bearing protectors off. Any suggestions here?
Take a hammer and hit near the end of it.
I was trying the hammer thing yesterday and they wouldn't budge. Guess maybe I was afraid to hit them to hard. Will give it another go round tomorrow.
And thanks so much on the trailer compliments.

****. Had todays update all written out then the window closed on me.
Built a motor stand today that will hold both outboards and the trolling motor.
Then I finally got the Ted Williams put back together. I'll tell ya, who ever designed how that thing goes together had to be on crank or something.
Did a compression test on it and got a solid 90 out of it. Question.. Shouldn't it be between 100-120?? Or is 90 OK for a 4.5 HP motor? Foto to follow.
Tomorrow I'll see if the new points and condenser gives it some spark then spray some carb cleaner in the carb and see if it will fire up

Attachments

• 20141218_161726_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141218_161726_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,243
Be careful what types of sprays you are using to test fire any engine. Especially a 2-stroke. Most starting fluids and cleaners are not oil based and therefore can cause cylinder wall and ring scoring due to insufficient lubrication. Even just a quick test fire can cause issues. Best thing to do to test run a 2-stroke is to put some gas/oil premix into a spray bottle and use that.

Latest posts