"Old Gold" - 1958 Alumacraft Deep C

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that came out very nice! Good to see a wood build on here, I have seen a lot of aluminum decking/framing. I like how it really comes down to the preference of the boat owner. Going to really review your post and learn a few tricks for my builds. Thanks for your hard work!

The awesome Wisconsin weather has allowed me to get the rig out and keep making progress. I've been staring at it all winter just waiting to dig in again. Everything's starting to thaw out here, so I'm itchin' to get out on that soft water.

This weekend I got it uncovered and spent some time just cleaning it up and assessing the situation and got right to it.

I carpeted the front bench seat and installed the swivel bases and seats. It is finally starting to look like I had imagined.

Untitled by Photo 144, on Flickr

After that I got started on the electrical work, pullled all of the old rat's nest out and started rebuilding. Got the new ignition switch wired up but then found that the fuse in the motor is blown, so I have to pick one of those up. Next up is wiring up the bilge pump, nav lights, TM plug and fish finder. Then getting longer control cables and patching the rest of the million old bolt/screw holes. Might even paint it before I take it out, but probably not. Definitely want to replace my impeller/housing before I start boating and procrastinate it.

I have realized that if I just keep it pulled apart and on dry land until I get all of my dreams accomplished, it will be forever before I use it. So, I decided to just wait on carpeting the sides/floor, interior lighting, etc. until after I use it for a couple months. So I'm on the fast track to getting it done and on the water!

Placed an order today at Cabela's for a 2-bank on board charger. FYI they are having a sale on them and there's a free shipping deal if you spend $99. Not sure how long it lasts but thought I'd give everyone a heads-up.

Also ordered a windshield "gasket" from iboats. They have it cheaper than ebay if anyone is looking for one of those.

Yea, the weather was awesome this weekend and I can't wait to hit the water too.
I just noticed this thread.
That's a great looking project you got there.
Good luck.

-jasper

Just realized I haven't added to this in a bit. Just did a bunch of wiring, so nothing really worth taking pics of. But if anyone cares, there's a 2 bank onboard charger, switch panel (doesn't control anything yet, it's for future accessories), new nav lights and switches, trolling motor with a plug and a bilge pump.

Still to come is a fix for the windshield, stereo, interior lighting and of course a paint job. It gets hard to work on these things once it's in good enough shape to use though!

Here's a pic from this weekend in Northern Wisconsin

I purchased a 1960 deep c the other day. Drove about 6 hours round trip to go get it, but once I seen the logo on the side and knew what it was. I left 5 mins later cash in hand and now she is home and mine. The front window and front cover is missing from mine.

I am going to make her a tiller controlled fishing machine. Just got her back from the welder today fixing 55 years worth of mounted screw holes and what not. Those boats are built like tanks. I can't wait to start my mod.

The Deep C is a very well built ship!

I was lucky to find a 1956 Deep C in original unmolested condition about six months ago.

I've got a 1960 V-4 75hp Evinrude short shaft motor I hope to get on it soon.

It should rip up the water!

I"ve also got a 1956 Cruiseabout, a 1951 Model R and a 1956 FD, all in original condition.

Love these old Alumacraft ships!

Wow That is a pretty piece of history. Cant find anything like that where I live. The lines on those old boats are absolutely beautiful.

Just a boring update, I rebuilt the carburetor and the water pump last night so it's fresh and clean for the weekend.

Just for anyone contemplating changing a water pump, it's super easy. I have never done it before, and in fact have never even pulled the lower unit off of an outboard. I followed the factory service manual process, but honestly other than disconnecting the shift rod, I probably would have just figured it out on the first try without the manual. So, if you have a new water pump kit sitting in your garage and have been procrastinating it because it sounds difficult (exactly what I was doing up until last night), just do it. It took me 30 minutes, I did it out in my yard, and it was dark by the time I finished and I still got it right.

Rebuilding the carb was uneventful. I've done a lot of carb fixing in the past so I knew I had a shoddy float valve. I replaced it as well as pulled apart everything that wasn't under an orifice plug. The only thing that is still bugging me is that my low speed needle is pretty worn. It doesn't have the greatest idle in the world, but it works. I was going to order a new one, but they're $50 each, which I think is crazy. I'll just stick with the worn one until it gets bad enough that I think it's worth dropping a big-face Grant on.

Planning on taking it out this weekend then if the weather cooperates, It'll be on to painting next week.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/h62q6ArrINc

I have been following your thread and watching from afar. You have come a long way. Keep up the good work! =D> =D> =D> She's looking purdy! :mrgreen:

I'm with you on the part of playing for awhile and let the work start back up in the fall/winter. It's summer time.....go play! :LOL2:

M
Tyler, Texas

PS: I love the old windshield. You are very fortunate to have it.

Proof that photoshop can make anything look good...

Should get around to the painting soon, but until then, proper positioning and photoshop are key to a good pic :)

GOPR1416 by Photo 144, on Flickr

just to amplify the others, I also am in AWE of your craftsmanship !!
Of all the positives, only one negative gnaws at my innards . . .
and that is the two steel gas tanks.... They appear to be permanently installed.
tank storage.jpg
Here in Florida, boating is as popular as the Disney attractions.
we see a LOT of gas station fires where people fill their metal gas containers
while inside the truck bed, landscape trailer or boat. If you fill your cans while in the boat,
my personal and very strong advice is to make a grounding wire with an alligator clip on each end
and ground the tank to the appropriate ground somewhere outside your vehicle/trailer/boat.

Please use your best judgement and ample caution when refueling.

Jus my Dos Centavos

Barefoot,

Thanks for the tip. I had heard of the phenomenon, but I didn't know if it was a legitimate concern or not. More often than not, I fill my boat with a 5 gal. plastic can, but occasionally I do fill from the pump. Does the potential for this type of fire to happen when filling with a gas can? I think not, but I don't know the underlying cause of the ignition.

Thanks for the kind words on the boat, it's a fun project. Can't wait to get it painted up, then it'll look good finally.

again - you have done an AWESOME job on your build !!!

Here in Florida, there are stickers on ALL gas pumps containing safety advisories . . .
NO cell phones, NO smoking, NO filling of containers that are not on the ground,
NO going inside your car and coming back out when the filler hose shuts off.
I have seen similar stickers in the past while traveling. So, all these notices are in place for a reason.
Gasoline vapors are heavier than air when cold, lighter than air when warm. Like in summer.
So theoretically, gasoline vapors are all around you when fueling your car or containers.
One spark is all it takes. And, just about anything can cause that ONE that ruins your day.
Google up Gas Station Fires and see what you find. It's not pretty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZxFL9cGkI
https://www.google.com/search?q=gas+station+fires&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDYQ7AlqFQoTCN_874b82sYCFUuZHgodENQLyQ&biw=1297&bih=604

My bass boat has a plastic 12 gallon tank that is too heavy for me to move around when full.
So, I use the plastic 5 gal jugs and set the jug on the motor and siphon the gas into the
12 gal tank. I never ever fill jugs while in the back of my car. Never.
Err on the side of safety, and you will live to fish another day.

and, if you think it can never happen to you - - -
check out the recent post of BowHunter1661 - - - and ask him how he feels about the saying,
it only happens to OTHER people - never happen to me.

Oh, one technique that I practice, and try to pass on to others, is - - -
do not stand between the gas hose and your open car door.
so if there IS a fire ball, you are not trapped between the two. Think about it.
stand on the outside of the hose - just in case you have to run away quickly.

Just put some thought into how to protect you and your beautiful investment.

Thanks Barefoot, but maybe I worded my question wrong. Do I still need to worry if I'm filling my boat tank by using a plastic jug? I think not, but who knows. I always fill my plastic gas jug on the ground, but I guess it's just coincidence rather than attention to safety. I just think it's easier than reaching up in the truck bed the whole time.

As for the warning stickers, yes, we have them here too. In all honesty I've read them and still do all those things except smoke.... Sometimes you get overwhelmed by all the warnings on every single thing you look at in this litigious world we live in. Never know which ones to heed and which to ignore.

Thanks for the advice, you may have saved my boat and maybe me from disaster.

PS Bowhunter's story scared me straight yesterday, I think everyone should read that post. In case you haven't seen it: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38624

in my line of thought, there shouldn't be any chance of "static spark" when using
the plastic jugs and plastic hoses to transfer fuel from one tank to another.

IMO, it is your BODY that creates the spark. And looking at several boats on this
forum, the battery is almost always right next to the fuel tank. Including mine.
If you somehow create a spark from the battery to your body - poof = day ruined.
I have a fully open and well ventilated compartment where my gas and battery are kept.
When transferring fuel, ALL the hatches are open.

Am I paranoid about gas ?
LOL you betcha !! LOL I wish I had a photo of myself at the age of 10 when I poured gas
all over the grass to burn it off to play baseball. I guess I was thinking (or NOT thinking)
it would burn slow like kerosene . . . WHOOOSH !!! all my hair, eyebrows, eyelashes - gone.
some blisters on my arms and legs. I had on shorts - no shirt or shoes, which probably
saved my life or severe injuries from the burning clothes if I had had on long pants and shirt.

I guess the older we get - the more awful things we see - and the more cautious we become.

Jus my Dos Centavos

Latest posts