anyone else fly rc planes?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flying RCs is one of my favourite hobbies. I have about 15 planes - some powered gliders, some warbirds, some performance planes. I am working on a 1/4 scale cub right now and am looking for a good engine for it so if you have any suggestions, let me know - either 4-stroke or gas - not Nitro on this "bird of time."

And, I am also looking for a 9.9 or 9.8 Hp outboard (short shaft - the engine, not me!) so if you know of a website that sells them, let me know as well. I see that there is a Chinese outfit (wholesale outboards) but from what I've read on Tinboat, it looks too good to be true. Any updates on this "online" outboard site??? As we say on the Welland Canal (near where I live) thanks a "lock."

Why are pirates "Pirates?" ............ They just Aghrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................................

I have a ready to fly electric trainer I gave to my father in law for Christmas. He gave it back to me :LOL2:

One day Im going to take it out of the box and fly it.......attempt to fly it.

I did when I was a kid . . not RC, lol, plane attached to a control string in a circle with a Cox .049 motor.

I put together a 1/4 scale Piper J3 Cub. Wingspan was almost 9 feet. awesome build.
Had almost a grand into it with everything. Taxied a bit on the runway and sold it.
Just didn't have the heart to watch it crash and burn.
Am almost to the point again to build another one !!!!
But, If I do the Cub, it will be a float plane.
Piper J3.JPG

Barefoot_Johnny said:
Am almost to the point again to build another one !!!!
But, If I do the Cub, it will be a float plane.

If you plan on flying it, I would suggest you start with something smaller and inexpensive that would not hurt as bad when you crash it until you feel comfortable enough to risk the Cub. As I tell people, "If you have not crashed one, you have not flown one". That is part of the process. You will crash at some point or another.

I had a few flying vids and lots of pics until just recently. My C: drive on my pc got a bit crowded so I thought I moved my pics and flicks to a second drive but evidently I only managed to delete them. This is the best pic I currently have of one of my heli's. I've installed a better gyro since this pic was taken and was considering going flybarless right about the time I last flew.

I used to fly years ago. Then got into nitro trucks. Then tried helis..... dodnt go to well. Just got a tiny traxxas heli that i do pretty well with.

only dabbled in cheap rc planes a bit, always been into cars though. I have an old nitro 2.5 tmaxx the 2.5 blew some time ago I putt a 3.3 engine in it's fun but that 3.3 was almost a mistake the shorter 2.5 chassis is really squirley and a wheely machine with the 3.3. Also have a brushless rustler, both are fun need to get them out. Seems everytime I have them out something gets broken last time was the tmaxx having fun on some gravel piles a rear knuckle went out. I've often debated one of the cheap rc fishing boats figuring that would combine two fun hobbies.

I've got a workshop full of model airplanes. Haven't touched them in years.

I keep thinking "I'll get back into it". But, what with boats and fishing and some golf, I never have time. Someday, maybe.

I've never flown an RC plane but it is appealing. I would probably enjoy building the planes more than flying them.

When I was a kid we flew planes in a circle on control strings. I remember the Cox 049 engine with this kind of spring windup thing to kick the prop around to get it started. The airplane was a "trainer", meaning the wings were held on with rubber bands so when you crashed you could put it back together. That way you could keep on going until you got so dizzy you puked. Yep, them were the days.

You guys just remember; Gravity gets real unforgiving of mistakes.

Roger

I used to fly them. its not as hard as you would think. but stay away from heli's..... i just got back into the RC game a month or so ago. i kinda got the itch for another nitro truck. then the day i bought a used one my DREAM RC buggy popped up on FB messenger. since i was a kid i wanted a 1/5 scale 4wd truck or buggy. but they cost is astronomical. i made a super low ball offer and they took it...... just the exhuast system would have cost me more than what i paid for everything plus a big tool box of spares and tools. this thing has a 30cc weedeater engine and is about 3' long.

Attachments

• rampage 1.jpg
    rampage 1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,712
I've always wanted to give a 1/5 scale a shot, but I imagine I'd break stuff on it just as often, and parts cost more it seems. But something sure is cool about having essentially a hopped up weed eater engine zipping a little care around 40+ mph.

Latest posts