rhino jet jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also I have a 760 yamaha in my boat it's similar to the 701 I also had a 650 they are great motors and can be bought cheap and are inexpensive to fix. Cons two strokes are loud and burn more gas than 4 strokes

im looking into the yamaha 701, 760 2 strokes as an option as well are they as finicky as tigershark

Ranchero50 said:
Shooter will suggest you skip the Tigershark and got with something that will last.

Amen to that, Ranchero.

Buy quality, and only cry once. Now that you have decided to get rid of that tigershark engine and go with a yamaha, you will be glad you made this decision. Much more fuel efficient, and much quieter, and more reliable.

Engine rotation is the same, however, yamaha 4 strokes are not a direct drive from the crankshaft, they use a 1.47:1 reduction gear, so that at 10,000 RPM max (on the FXHO models) the impeller speed is around 7K. (As a side note, I wish they would offer an aftermarket gear case, with about a 1.25:1 gear, which would put the RPM up to around 8K)

In any case, you will need to re-do your motor mounts, but the good news is that the yamaha 4 strokes only have 4 mounts, despite the massive size of the engine. Wiring is pretty straightforward, unless you get one that came from a boat that uses the tachometer with no wake mode, etc, then it has a few extra wires than would be on a regular model.

As for engine hours, these are very durable engines, and there have been accounts of people with as much as 3,000 hours on their engines with no major issues. Mine has 375 hours on it, and I've had no problems, except for the water inlet manifold hose's pre-bent radius restricting water flow....but I got that fixed with a longer piece of hose allowing a long sweeping radius.

Since I'm probably the only one here who has had both a Tigershark 900, tigershark 1000, AND a Yamaha MR-1 FXHO in my boat......... if you need any info, let me know, as I've already met every goat you might meet. As I like to say, each goat in life comes with its own specific detailed set of instructions. Sometimes the instructions get lost, or the goat may eat a few pages, but those instructions must not be deviated from, or the goat will get quite upset. :mrgreen:

nice to know, did you get your donor ski from craigslist what should i expect to spend

Few thousand for a four stroke a few hundred for a 2 stroke. If I had the money and mechanical ability I would swing a motor like psg but for now I can buy 6 701 for the price of one fxho

I bought my FXHO engine for 2,500 dollars, and I was told it had about 65 hours on it when I bought it, so, that's what I set my new hour meter for. Shortly after installing the engine, I also bought the YDS software/diagnostics, and sure enough, the hours were pretty close to what was on my hour meter.

That engine came from a jet boat, as the wiring harness is set up for the tachometer, as well as the 'no wake' (fast idle) system. Not really sure why they pulled an engine with such low hours from a boat, but the guy I bought it from was in the PWC repair and parts business for about 20 years, so, he had a whole warehouse full of engines and parts.

In comparison, I originally spent 600 dollars for the Tigershark, and then having it rebuilt about 4 times at 1500 dollars a pop, for holes in the pistons. When you blow a hole in the piston, generally, you can't just rebuilt the top end, it has to have a complete overhaul. That's a little bit beyond my mechanical ability, so, that meant having it sent off and rebuilt each time.

After the final time it blew a hole in the piston, I was fed up with it, and decided it needed some more holes. So, I took that POS engine out of the boat, took it to the rifle range, set it out at 300 yards, and put it out of its misery with my 300 Win Mag. Then I bought the FXHO, and the only regret I have is that I wasted all that money on the POS Tigershark engine, instead of just doing it right the first time! #-o #-o

I'd suggest asking psg kindly for his connection lol I know down here I look on craigslist and for a fxho with that low hours lowest price is like 6500 for a complete ski and its hard to find just the parts you need like a motor pump and intermediate shaft with all the wiring. If you try to piece it together on ebay or something like that youll spend way over 6500 so I'd say psg got one heck of a deal.

It was one heck of a deal, for sure. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago, my friend closed his shop doors and went out of the PWC parts business. When I bought my engine, he had another one for sale, also for 2500 dollars, it was the other engine from the same boat. Wish I'd had the money, I would have bought both of them!

I have been working on researching the conversion the past few days, i ordered one of the coupling adapters for a yamaha 701 from a 1998 waverunner it matches up almost perfect to the tigershark jet pump adapter out of the 1994 daytona tigershark.

well im back at it over the winter i rebuilt the engine with used parts laying around i purchased the dual carburator setup rebuilt them and installed them i removed the fuel in the tank and went with high test, it runs grate in the drive way, i took it down to the river one evening and ran it on the trailer seems good, gonna take it out probably in the next few weeks if this doesnt work imout of options and im going four stroke.

been running it with the dual carb setup had a issue with the carb mounting bolts coming loose thats resolved it does 34.8 mph downstream going to start the spoon project soon

had it out last weekend actually fished from it got a couple,nothing nice, i have installed a lowerance hds7 fish finder ill post picks and wired up the live well

with the piano hinge ,it started pulling apart on the ends and so i cut it out and installed these aluminum hinges from the local arcet welding supply store about 11 bucks each

Attachments

• KIMG0675.jpg
    KIMG0675.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,848
I installed front and rear fishing seats after the first fishing trip all that standing , i figured it would be nice to sit

Attachments

• KIMG0321.jpg
    KIMG0321.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,847
here is a pic of the texture with the behr deckover from home depot i used glidden etching primer after taping off and rough sanding the color is sandstone this is two coats and i used 1 quart of glidden primer,2 gallons deck over with the special roller that is required total everything cost about 125 i primed it waited 24 hours rolled first coat waited 24 hours and applied the second i let it set in the shop for about a month before i was able to use it its still a little soft for like a day id let it bake in the sun if it hadnt sat in the shop to cure also this would be a good winter project for some definetly alot cooler than bare metal on a 90 degree day i can still stand on it bare footed, i went with the behr deck over its acrylic based not sand based like the others that will burn your feet up, also home depot will do pretty much any color.

Attachments

• KIMG0143.jpg
    KIMG0143.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,840
Well I posted this for sale I have over $6000 just in parts asking $7500. Obo been a great boat losing interest in jet boats

Wanting to build a late 80s mustang

Anyone know the intake housing brand used in this build? It looks flat instead of tapered as the Yamaha intake housing.

Latest posts