11 11 11

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keystone

Reaction score
On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918 the guns of November fell silent as an armistice between Germany and the Allied Nations went into effect. The Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919 and in November of that year, President Woodrow Wilson commemorated the end of World War I with the words “To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…”
The United States made November 11 a legal holiday on May 13, 1938 with the intention of honoring those who had served in the great war of 1914 to 1918. Unfortunately this was not the war to end all wars and after Americans served in World War II and Korea, Armistice Day was changed on June 1st, 1954 to Veterans Day to honor all American war veterans. After a brief period from 1971 to 1975 when Veterans Day changed yearly to accommodate three day weekends, the observation was moved back to strictly November 11 each year.
Today is Veterans Day.

Happy Veteran's Day to all of our veterans. :USA1: How many members on TinBoats are vets??

USArmy 1966-1969
Vietnam 1968-1969

and for all you Vietnam vets, Welcome home!

I'm a Vietnam Era vet, 1970-74. The closest I got was Okinawa from where we flew reconnaissance missions over Vietnam.

The celebration of Armistice Day is interesting. It was first designated to remember those who served in the "war to end all wars". I guess they couldn't imagine a more horrible war than WW1. The dead and wounded US GI's from WW1 were about 320,000 with about 3,000 missing. WW2 happened within the memory of many who lived through WW1 and the US dead and wounded numbered just over a million with 30,000 missing. I'm glad it was changed to remember all vets. In their own way I'm sure each war was just as horrible as WW1 to those who fought. Important to remember too is that all vets, peacetime or wartime make sacrifices and deserve to be remembered.

US Navy 1974-1980 Sailed on board the USS Truckee AO-147, homeport Norfolk Va. E-5 Machinist Mate. Assigned to ships turbo generators 1st two years, then main engine room. Total 4yrs 6 mo 11 days on board.

Latest posts