Gotta a head scratcher here

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRC_PNW

Reaction score
Hello tinboats
I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on this one for me.
Avid fisherman here. I live on a western washington lake and I've got a 10ft jon boat that has 3 square holes in the hull. Does that seem strange to anyone else? Not sure how or why they where punched into the hull. Seats maybe? Clearly it was done from the bottom as the aluminum has a slight curl on the inside of the boat. They are all pretty much inline with each other. The hole near the stern is actually under the rear bench seat so from inside the boat you can only see two of the holes. I've attached a few photos. Any help on this would be great as I have no experience with aluminum boats.

Thanks
Tyler

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,107
It looks like someone meant to put the holes there, but why?
Fish freak might be right, looks like the size of a pick axe or spud, but I would think around the hole would damaged more.
One is under the seat right? Is that the foam we see through the hole in one of the pictures.

I'd guess it doesn't much matter now. Just fix 'em and go fishing.

Maybe somebody tried to put a skin of plastic on the boat. Found out it didn't work and stopped before he went ahead with more??? Who could possibly know? The way they are spaced and kind of neat says it was done with a purpose in mind.

richg99

First, thank you guys for your help sorting this out.
I was afraid that might be the case. That's really a shame why someone would do that to a perfectly good boat. Yes Attwanl that is the foam you see in the third pic. Richg99 i agree. If the holes are just that...holes for no reason. Whats the best method of fixing them. Disclaimer- I'm not a welder.

Fishfreek said:
Looks like something one of my ex wives would have done to make sure I couldn't use it again.

LOL Exactly!! "You spend too much time and money on that **** thing! Wish you'd put the same effort into us as you do fishing!" LOL :LMFAO:

Vandalism or angry Ex's would be random. These holes are oriented the same and clearly in a row. Although retribution from some seething x-wife or girlfriend bring some pretty funny scenes to mind, I think there was some other reason. Wish I knew what it might be...

JMichael said:
My money is on someone slamming a pick axe down on it for what ever reason, messy divorce, ex girlfriends, vandalism, etc.

Looks exactly like a Pick Axe hole .

I'm really loving the humor that this thread has brought on. My wife claims she's innocent...but? Some people say I probably do fish an unhealthy amount. Luckily the low land lakes are closed right now so I have a few months to get it fixed up.

Question about the rivet & 5200 fix. Is it crucial to do both sides or can I get away with just doing the bottom. The hole under the rear bench seat has the foam exposed. Is there anything specific I should do before sealing that one up? I apologize for the super green horn questions, and thanks again guys for all your input.

Side note. Slammed a few nice resident coho off a puget sound beach this afternoon. They are thick as thieves out there right now.

riverrat717 said:
Fishfreek said:
Looks like something one of my ex wives would have done to make sure I couldn't use it again.

LOL Exactly!! "You spend too much time and money on that **** thing! Wish you'd put the same effort into us as you do fishing!" LOL :LMFAO:

YIKES !!! That comment sounds badly familiar...as if it's been spoke to me in a previous life. My motto is always: Don't mess with my dog, don't mess with my boat. I've been through two marriages and am currently, permanently, and very happily single. The girlfriend is aware of her boundaries and is intelligent enough to honor them. Whoever coined the phrase, "Happy Wife = Happy Life" is either a wife or a sorry, whipped excuse for a man. And that is just my opinion.....

momule said:
riverrat717 said:
Fishfreek said:

YIKES !!! That comment sounds badly familiar...as if it's been spoke to me in a previous life. My motto is always: Don't mess with my dog, don't mess with my boat. I've been through two marriages and am currently, permanently, and very happily single. The girlfriend is aware of her boundaries and is intelligent enough to honor them. Whoever coined the phrase, "Happy Wife = Happy Life" is either a wife or a sorry, whipped excuse for a man. And that is just my opinion.....

Momule
Sounds like you should of had better lawers #-o

Steve A W

You only put the patch on the outside. How big are the holes 1"x1" larger?

Steve A W said:
momule said:
riverrat717 said:

Momule
Sounds like you should of had better lawers #-o

Steve A W

Sounds to me like he married both of my ex wives. Cause I feel exactly like he does about the whole situation and I'm also a confirmed bachelor for the rest of my time on this rock. :shock:

Maybe the boat was used for anther purpose at one time such as a shelter for something. The holes may have been to attach it to a bracket of some kind to hold it in place seeing that they are lined up so well. Just a guess. As for a fix, I would get patches welded to hull.