passenger seat position

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perchjerker

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have my build going on in the conversion forum

I wanted to ask this separate and hope to get some advice

I just mounted the passenger seat but I think its too far forward. It looked ok but then I sat in in and thats what I think.

The reason I mounted it there was to maximize the legroom with the side boxes. The original position of the bench I removed was further back, you can see it in my build thread

99% of the time it will be my wife in it. She is average size, about 5'7" and not heavy or thin (gotta be careful there LOL)

I just think with it this far forward and also the trolling motor and battery it will just be too much and I should move it back about a foot or two so its closer to the original position. But then both boxes might get in the way, but I guess she would just have to live with it.

The other issue I see is when I am setting/retrieving the trolling motor she would have to move back and sit in my seat, there is not enough room

I dont want to put in multiple mounts and be able to change things around on the fly, this boat is just for some simple pan fishing and putting around some small lakes near my cabin. I may do that at some point but these are the mounts I am working with

I will probably just try it like this and see, I was hoping to get some input from those experienced with this subject..

thanks

Attachments

• 20160429_154700.jpg
    20160429_154700.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 753
  • 20160429_154718.jpg
    20160429_154718.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 753
If you're just putting around....maybe sit her back there with you on a cushion on the port side. When you're ready to fish, you go to the front seat; deploy TM and fish from bow. Let her fish from stern.

thanks Jonah

Me sitting in the front to fish isnt really an opiton

I am 6'5" 270 and I would have no room up there at all

I should have said that the bowmount is a power drive so I can control it from anywhere in the boat.

I am sure we can just move around so I can deploy/store the motor somehow

my main concern was with the overall balance of the boat. I am thinking it may be better if her chair was further aft more toward the middle of the vessel where the original middle bench was.

I know I will have to just try it, just asking if anyone had any thoughts on it

thanks for your reply!!

I wouldn't move a thing.

You may find, after five or ten outings, that "her" seat is vacant. If the trolling motor is set up correctly, she may be able to pull the TM up.

richg99

I have a similar set up in my Little Boat and I demonstrate to the front seat passenger how to stow and deploy the TM. It ain't rocket science....

thanks Rich

No way she could pull the trolling motor up.

Those Minn Kota Power Drives of that vintage are known to be terrible to raise. So much so they changed the design. I had one on my Crestliner Sportfish. I hesitated getting this one but it kind of fell into my lap

Thats the biggest weakness to them. There is no handle, no rope, you have to grab the head and pull straight up on it until its high enough that you have enough leverage in it to pivot it back into the stow position, then you have to yank on it to get it to lock into the mount. I did make a strap for the one I had and it made it a little easier

we always go together on this boat, we really enjoy the little lakes up north

It will get figured out somehow

I think it looks right the way it is. With the seats too close together, now neither of you have enough room to fish, which is what you'll be doing 99% of the time. Leave it set up for fishing, you'll make it work for the 1% of the time that you'll be scooting around.

I like the spot that it is in as it gives the person two options to fish. Turn to the right and have some leg room to stretch the legs or turn left and put your feet up on the storage box.

This might be dumb, but I've seen the sliding tracks for rear bench seats in ads. Could you rig the base of the front seat to fit in one of those--length-wise-- and just flip the release, slide it back, do your TM business, and put it back in place?

justathought

Kismet...not dumb at all. In fact, you may have given me an idea for my own rig. richg99
https://www.sliderg5.com/

home_1.png

Kismet said:
This might be dumb, but I've seen the sliding tracks for rear bench seats in ads. Could you rig the base of the front seat to fit in one of those--length-wise-- and just flip the release, slide it back, do your TM business, and put it back in place?

justathought

If you look at my pics you will see that I already have one of those on my rear bench. Its real nice. But I dont want to spend another $90 on another one.

I did think about it though :wink:

richg99 said:
PerchJ.....Would a slider support a raised, wide-based normal bass boat seat??

richg99

I think it would depend on your intended use.

The mount itself is plenty strong and made of thick metal.

But its not designed to be installed lengthwise. There are only some small pins that keep it from sliding back and forth, and the forward motion of the boat will cause the slider to rely on that little pin to keep it from sliding. If all you were doing was going slow it would probably be fine

You may be able to work around that, I would contact them and ask, I asked some questions before I bought mine and they were very helpful. Great people to work with.

I recommend the product highly

Thanks, I sent a query to them, but, it is the weekend.

I doubt if the device will work with my present base (which now...I don't see how it could, actually).

I would need the slider to work across the width of the boat, just as it is designed.

I think I would have to change to a different style of base for my seat, but that would be OK. We'll see. richg99

p.s. I have also seen a bent seat shaft, probably designed to help in my type of situation.

Latest posts