She floats!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
... with the new transom inside and outside skins all riveted back in place! And no leaks from any of my new skins, less one drippy lower engine mount bolt [guess I didn't seal that well enough], so I pulled her back out and didn't leave her on her mooring.

What a long project, I bought it 'cheap' [thankfully] thinking it only needed "transom repair" ... but that rapidly changed into "full transom replacement". But if anyone ever needs to replace aluminum panels, or even a transom skin, all the info and tooling you'd ever need to create the new piece; from layout to hammer forming, to re-riveting it back in place is in this post here: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548

The new transom is full height all the way across, not step down, plus I narrowed the 'U' opening by the OB. I like it. She was fast and nimble, 33mph with me and std gear [6 preservers, all safety/first aid, 2 anchors, 8-gallons fuel, and gearbag].

I thought that was pretty good for a 750-pound hull of 16-degree deadrise that's only pushed by a 40hp. Now ... to enjoy it!

Attachments

• Transom Repair56 Launch6.JPG
    Transom Repair56 Launch6.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,389
Beautiful boat, beautiful repair...now...start calculating the amount of fuel and the number of dockings involved in your own migration IN the boat down to Florida.

Going to take a number of hops, but think of the stories you will be able to tell.
(Maybe even mermaids :) )

Nice.

=D> =D> =D>

LOL Kismet: back in the early 80s, my parents got a 22 foot cabin cruiser
and set out from Orlando, FL to visit my brother in Virginia . . .
The got all the maps for gas stations, food stores, motels, etc and set out.
They boated the Intracoastal Waterway all the way to Abemarle Sound, NC
to where they had to cross that great body of water and tagged out.
LOL they called my brother, he drove down and they spent a few days together
then boated back to Orlando. This was before computers, GPS, email and cell phones.
Experience of a lifetime - but they traded the cruiser for a 24' pontoon and stayed local.

Dale, if they could do it, you can too !!!

FWIW I just found this picture on-line and had to share it. The model is identical to the one I just refurbished. I photo-shopped out the rear trolling motor on the port-side.

So this photo will have to satisfy me as I just winterized her and covered her for the coming Wintah! (ahhhhhh, that's 'winter' for you southerners :wink: ... )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,188
Nice work.

I too have one that was supposed to be a quick repair and turnaround. Didn't turn out that way but I'm enjoying it. Even though it is taking much longer than expected.

Latest posts