I thought I'd quit working on old boats, but I dunno....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
richg99 said:
" and bits and pieces as they occur to me."
THAT process never seems to end, does it? Ha Ha

My wife has finally reconciled herself that none of my boats will "ever ...be done".

richg99

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
Isn't that the truth! Money pits, they are, but they sure are fun to do.

Kis,
Looking good! You know a pretty fishing partner riding up front would solve your weight in the front issue. Just sayin'.... :lol:

Kis,
Looking good! You know a pretty fishing partner riding up front would solve your weight in the front issue. Just sayin'.... :lol:

M?

I can just hear that conversation:

"Excuse me, but I'm looking for some woman with some weight on her to sit in the front of my boat. You have some pounds on you, do you like fishing?"

M? You're trying to get me killed!
:mrgreen:

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
Kis, I didn't say 250 on the hoof. All you need is a nice lady that likes to fish to ride up front. 120 lbs would help hold that bow down.
It would make at good Candid Camera skit, Rich!

Getting there...

Put about 50lbs of gravel in sacks in the bow and took the repainted and leak-patched RB out. Calm, sunny day and the little thang just loved it. It still wants a bit more weight in front. The 5.5hp moves it along, but I'm going to put the 55-56 10 HP Johnson on it, I think. Wandering through town and saw a yard sale. I picked up an old ?yoga mat? to use as temporary cover for the front bench; the original cover is torn in one spot and pretty brittle all over---but, it is probably 60 years old, and when I reached that age, I was kind of brittle myself. :?

It is a quite stable hull. Fifty-four inches wide and 140 inches or so long; virtually the same hull as my 14 ft Alumacraft 1959 Model F. The wedged floors stayed firmly in place through transit and the two hours of steady water use.

I'm still dithering about closing off the cowl. Right now I can see the weight sacks and anchor wedged up there, but I'm considering putting an arch firmly attached with a hinged door under that, so that I can access the space, but don't have to see the ballast.

The puppy likes it. Before too long, the two dogs and I will have an adventure on the lake. [-o<

RB bench seat cover with Tinker 5-2016 001.jpg

good RB tinker.jpg

Well done. Glad you have her trimmed out.

If you do a lot of trailering, you might switch the gravel out for gallon jugs of water. That way you can fill the ballast when you get to the lake.

I don't know about doubling the power, though. At your age, the wind in your hair might be too much to handle.

Ha Ha. regards, richg99

yup, the speeds I'll develop with a 10 horsepower 60 year-old motor on a 400lb load hull , will probably be terrifying, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

and we'll have no more "hair" talk; it's not nice to talk about the dearly-departed. (Well, the nearly-departed. :?

Update on the '56 RB and Johnson has no remarkable achievements, but here's a couple of lake shots.

The new, used, prop works a charm on the 12 foot boat. Actually got out on a calm day and ended up doing four laps of the lake, varying speed and weight distribution. With the 10 hp Johnson, it's a nice combination. I can only imagine what fun the runabout format that Pappy built is like. He's got twice the horsepower and with the console steering, much better weight placement. Be like a sports car on water with good stability and surging power.

Picked up a matching pair of (very) used swivel seats, but not sure I'll install them. These days I am almost always alone on the water and the second seat seems to fill up space in the short boat. Dunno.

Just ordered new decals for the engine. I'll come close to matching the paint, but the motor has been repainted in its past life a number of times, so I'm not looking to restore it to original. Just want to tidy it up a bit.

I put a section of carpet as a temporary drape, hiding the sandbags up front. It serves no function except visual. I'll go back up to the big box store one of these days and get matching color to the floor.

RB new prop Me with boat glasses lake pix 001.jpg

RB new prop Me with boat glasses lake pix 002.jpg

The State Park lake was like a disturbed ant-hill over the 4th of July, so I abstained from trying to launch and park. Instead, I cleaned up the '56 Johnson engine cover a bit, sanded down the various layers of paint the owners of the last 60 years had applied, and put some left-over paint I had, and new decals. I wanted the logo to be subtle, but may have made it too much so.

Johnson 10 hp repainted with decals 010.jpg

Johnson 10 hp repainted with decals 008.jpg

Meh...the engine doesn't care. :mrgreen:

I'll be doing bits and pieces throughout the Summer.

Johnson 10 hp repainted with decals2 001a1.jpg

RB on trailer 4.jpg
A long way from when it arrived.

I'm starting to love this little thing and the 10 hp and I are becoming friends.

two dogs in RB 001.jpg

(But a guy I know has a 50's 18 hp OMC, think it is a Johnson. Hmmmm)

However, that's a lot of horses on a 12 ft tiller boat for me.

Hmmmmmm :roll:

Once again I wish I had a project boat...the trouble is though that once I got one I'd finally have to build that shop I've always wanted and don't have with all those expensive tools to go in it.

Yours is looking very nice. Guess I'll be perusing Craig's List today :mrgreen:

Guess you could build the (empty) shop now...and get the project boat later.

I'm always talking about improving my shop, but never spend the time to do it.

I am always building/fixing/messing around with something IN the shop.

Here in TN, all that I have is a big bench along one side of the garage. It's a mess and I keep trying to cut the clutter....but... then I go fishing/golfing....go figure.

richg99

Johnny said:
two 80 pound bags of concrete in the passenger seat
will be MUCH more easier to deal with !!!

jus my Dos Centavos

And if you would have said that to YOUR better half those two bags of concrete would be mixed up and setting up around your feet, after which............

Latest posts