Color coding your rod/reel combos??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
On another site (BassBoat Central) a long discussion ensued about how to mark rods and reels with whatever line strength/type and other attributes the combo had... I came up with a color-coding plan.

What do you all think? richg99

Color coding instead???

All these ideas are just fine. As I said, I use one of them (label machine and scotch tape) on my golf clubs.

However, I was just wondering if color coding the rod/reel combinations wouldn't be even easier and quicker to pick out the combo that you want.

I think the "Standard" for color sequencing is Black-Brown-Red-Orange -Yellow-Green-Blue-Violet-Gray-White.

So, a piece of Black Tape might denote your smallest normal line diameter/strength. i.e. 4 lbs.

Brown tape would be 6 lbs

Red tape would be 8 lbs

Orange tape would be 10 lbs

Yellow tape would be 15 lbs

Green tape would be 17 lbs

Blue tape would be 20 lbs

Violet tape would be 25 lbs

Gray would be 30 lbs

White tape would be 40 lbs

Additional line strengths could be designated by cutting a BLACK tape half-width and combining that with a half-width of some other color that helps you figure out what you want it to mean.

OR WHATEVER Separations/sizes etc. make sense to you

The second piece of tape could denote the type of line...

Black mono

Brown fluorocarbon

Red Braid
etc.

A third strip of tape could be used to denote the type of rod/lure that you want to identify

Black .. topwaters

Brown ... mid level cranks

Red ... Bottom Bouncers

Orange ... Flukes

Yellow ... Worms

Blue .. Carolina Rigs

or any arrangement that you want.

Obviously, you'd have to have a "chart" glued inside of the rod cabinet until you remembered what the colored strips meant.

WalMart sells a group of five colored electrical tapes in their hardware department. That would give you a start. The other tapes would have to be secured from a fabric store or made up by printing a colored strip on your computer, and then covering it with scotch tape.

Just brainstorming here, in between messing in my shop. This "color-banding" is similar to how electrical resistors and numerous other electrical devices are coded.

I obviously have far fewer rods in action than most of you guys.
regards, richg99

p.s. So, a rod combo with Orange; Black; Yellow on it would be a
10 lbs line; Mono; used for worming....

Let's see. Up at 6:00. YMCA at 6:55. Lifted 14,000 lbs. Then, bought gas for van; then, went to Lowe's. Bought moulding for a door frame; removed old door framing: replaced with new door framing: removed and installed two (old fluorescents) ; replaced with new LED shop lights; watched ten YouTube videos covering key problems on my wife's car... might have fixed the issue, too); then...replied to ongoing discussion on BBC about labelingropd and reel combos.. . Lunch at 1:00...

What have you all done so far today?

Carpe Diem!

Ha Ha. Richg99

p.s. It is not how much time you have, it is how you use your time.....

You could contact our site sponsor vinyl Images and see if he can send you vinyl in all the colors you need.

Hey, I don't need all of that stuff. I only carry 4 or 5 rods at the very max when I go. I switch lures, not rods. One look, and I know what rod/reel combo I have with me and what I normally use it for.

Some guys carry 20 or more rod/combos.

I was just trying to help those fishermen with the issues.....

richg99

p.s Who is the specific sponsor? Maybe he could make up a kit of tape for the millions of bass fishermen who carry tons of rods. Probably sell it to them for $20.00 or so. A product is BORN! Hope anyone who uses the idea cuts me in on the profits.....

I'm either using 4/6/10 # test mono for all my fishing, which depends on what method of madness I employ that day. Short rods have 4# for dockshooting, 8'rs have 6#for longlining, and the 10 & 12'rs have 10# for pulling cranks.

p.s Who is the specific sponsor? Maybe he could make up a kit of tape for the millions of bass fishermen who carry tons of rods. Probably sell it to them for $20.00 or so. A product is BORN! Hope anyone who uses the idea cuts me in on the profits.....[/quote]
"Vinyl Images"
At www.vinylimagesinc.com

I am a fan of having enough rod/reel setups that I do not need to change lures often.

However, all of my rod/reel setups always have a lure like a frog, spinnerbait, shallow diving crank bait, deep diver crank bait, senko wacky rig, etc.....

This allows me to be able to change colors or lures of the like kind without needing to know which rod/reel to use as it is marked with the lure.

I always keep 4 on deck and 4 in the locker. I labeled mine with a label maker on the rod. I never have to second guess on colors or look at a chart. For instance my jig rod reads....... Jig 30B. My crank bait rod reads...... Sqbill 12M. Worm rod reads..... Tx/SH 10F.

Latest posts