New 2017 25hp 4 stroke efi yamaha

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all boils down to their really isn't a motor better than another motor,it all boils down to brand loyalty as I mentioned earlier because if you take care of any major brand of outboard it will run flawlessly. It all comes down to how well each individual takes care of their motors. I love yamaha, suzuki,mercury and tohatsu, those are my favorite brands. I have owned all 4 and they have all run awesome and flawlessly. I'm also a maintenance freak,lol. After a day on the saltwater I clean my outboard very thoroughly inside and out,then I have a full outboard cover I got off Amazon I use to make sure she stays pretty,lol. When I upgrade to a 25hp it will more than likely be a new 25hp efi yamaha tiller manual start or if I can find a new 25hp suzuki cheaper I will go with that. All depends on price because imo quality is equal all the way around.

True anything maintained properly will last.

Not to argue with you but I think it's kinda crazy now that with an efi 25hp if something goes wrong it has to be diagnosed with a shop computer. And all those efis are set by EPA regulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you know someone that can hack the ECM and reprogram it. I had my 175EFI flashed and reprogramed with the 200hp program and gained 4mph. Went from 72 to 76mph. Could have gained a little more if I would have put in the 200hp exhaust tuner.

The Merc 135 EFI had a restrictor over the throttle body. Same programing as the 150. 175 had different programing. 200 had program and exhaust tuner.

tomme boy said:
Evinrude had a 15hp etec so NO Suzuki was NOT first in the small efi motors.
The 15 etec is a 25hp detuned,also the 15hp etec is for trolling mostly as a kicker only that I've seen,I haven't seen any used as a primary outboard as the 20hp suzuki is used for. The suzuki is a true 20hp efi. One is dfi and efi also. Same concept but still different in their own way.

tomme boy said:
Unless you know someone that can hack the ECM and reprogram it. I had my 175EFI flashed and reprogramed with the 200hp program and gained 4mph. Went from 72 to 76mph. Could have gained a little more if I would have put in the 200hp exhaust tuner.

The Merc 135 EFI had a restrictor over the throttle body. Same programing as the 150. 175 had different programing. 200 had program and exhaust tuner.

Well idk but I don't think many people know people who can hack an ECM lol. And if it's a newer motor I'm almost certain it would void any kind of warranty you had.

tomme boy said:
Evinrude had a 15hp etec so NO Suzuki was NOT first in the small efi motors.

That ETEC 15 is a total waste of resources, IMO. 181 lbs; and only 15hp. 3 lbs lighter than the big ol' heavy Yamaha F25B. Explains why we never see any out here. Only 15's I see are Yamaha and Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury, in that order. Yamaha outsells them in this area by about 2:1, in the 15hp market and for many reasons. Almost everyone I talked to who bought a Tohatsu/Merc/Nissan or suzuki bought it because it was cheap and for no other reason, with quite a few saying they preferred the Yamaha but couldn't afford the extra $200 or so. Understandable. But now that Yamaha is changing up their smaller motors, and dealers are dumping the prior carburetor models at sale prices, it makes no sense to spend more on a Tohatsu than a Yamaha; unless the buyer is really "that" brand loyal.

Am I brand loyal? Somewhat, but I'll buy what I like whatever brand it is. I prefer a Ford pickup for many reasons but if GM had not taken my taxpayer money to bail them out, I might have considered a GM truck. Or if they didn't burn oil like a lot of the 4.8/5.3 models do. It was my understanding that they increased the oil pan capacity because the previous pan only held what? 6 quarts? And in the "normal" 7500 mile oil change interval, if you didn't check it, it would be OUT, thus the larger oil pans on the newer 5.3's. 2 of my coworkers have them and they say exactly the same things about them; not to mention those who I don't personally know and gripe about 'em. I'm sorry, but you have to be crazy loyal to the truck to put up with that much oil usage. Makes me wonder how the EPA treats it. Like a 2 stroke maybe? Both of my ford's have over 200,000 and don't use a single drop; one is 366,000 miles and just an old 2.3 4 cylinder which still knocks down 41 mpg. That reminds me, it's time for a timing belt. Better go get that ordered.

Guy here has one of the 15 etec's. It flat out hauls a**! For a 15. It is a 15HO so they are the same exact motor as the 25 and 30 but detuned in the computer.

Speaking of detuned, neighbor has a Mega 25! If you know what that is! I keep trying to buy it off him but he just keeps laughing at me.

Tohatsu is coming out this fall with the new 9.9,15/20hp efi models,I can't wait to see the specs on that. I will tell you,I just ran my 20hp suzuki on my 1648 alumacraft with near 800lbs of weight and I hit 28.2mph which shocked the crap our of me. An older guy was fishing on the lake I was testing my boat on and he said holy crap that thing flies. The plane time is just as fast as my 25hp 2 stroke merc was if you can belive that. I actually raced a guy with basically the same boat with a 25hp 2 stroke merc and stayed with him all the way across the lake which again shocked my socks off,lol. I'm just so pleased with this new 20hp suzuki, it runs like a sewing machine and has incredible deceptive power.

Yes,I know what the mega 25hp is. A detuned 40hp I do belive. I believe if I'm not mistaken suzuki and tohatsu had one back in the day.

I just sold my 1993 merc 25hp 2 stroke and I have bought and sold 20 of them or more but never had a 93 which is a different powerhead then the 94 and up. 93 is the nikasil powerhead and the 05 I had was the mercosil powerhead. My 93 merc was by far the most powerful 25hp merc I have ever ran. With over 1000lbs in my 1648 and a 14 pitch prop I was around 33-34mph which is insane for a true 25hp. It just ate gas and was older so I sold it for near $2k and only paid $2450 for a brand new 20hp suzuki which imo is well worth every penny.

The powerhead is the same. The material in the bore lining is different. Otherwise they are the exact same motor

The mercosil powerhead is more prone to blowing according to research so while most of the engines are near identical there is some differences. If you put a 93 and say 95 side by side there is some different components under the cowling. I've never had another merc with the power of this one and it was actually a 20hp and I put a new 25hp carb on it. The last merc 25hp I had on my alumacraft with the same weight pushed me 30ish with a 14 pitch prop, the 93 like I said pushed me 33-34mph. This motor just created so much more power and I don't know why. 1 out of 20 possessed this extra power but they were all great running engines. I love the 25hp 2 stroke yamahas a great deal but my merc ate them for lunch.

Not a 3cyl 25 Yamaha, Suzuki, or Tohatsu. Those Merc are good motors but not that good. That motor would have had to be putting out over 35hp to reach that speed. It is just not going to happen. Unless you had it on a 14' boat that was made out of 0.072" or lighter alum and you weighed less than 100lbs.

Somebody from another group I follow got the new Yamaha 25. It's on a 1448 says it does about 35 empty and 28-30 with people and gear. Said it has a lot of torque and well worth the money.

scoobeb said:
Tohatsu is coming out this fall with the new 9.9,15/20hp efi models,I can't wait to see the specs on that. I will tell you,I just ran my 20hp suzuki on my 1648 alumacraft with near 800lbs of weight and I hit 28.2mph which shocked the crap our of me. An older guy was fishing on the lake I was testing my boat on and he said holy crap that thing flies. The plane time is just as fast as my 25hp 2 stroke merc was if you can belive that. I actually raced a guy with basically the same boat with a 25hp 2 stroke merc and stayed with him all the way across the lake which again shocked my socks off,lol. I'm just so pleased with this new 20hp suzuki, it runs like a sewing machine and has incredible deceptive power.

Yes,I know what the mega 25hp is. A detuned 40hp I do belive. I believe if I'm not mistaken suzuki and tohatsu had one back in the day.

I would love to see the Tohatsu 9.9 EFI! Although, it would have to be quite a bit lighter for me to consider replacing my 2006 Mercury 9.9. That little merc./tohatsu has performed excellent. My only gripe is I wish it had an oil filter like the Honda 9.9.

tomme boy said:
Not a 3cyl 25 Yamaha, Suzuki, or Tohatsu. Those Merc are good motors but not that good. That motor would have had to be putting out over 35hp to reach that speed. It is just not going to happen. Unless you had it on a 14' boat that was made out of 0.072" or lighter alum and you weighed less than 100lbs.
I'm not going to argue with you,4 gps devices can't be wrong. I got 33-34mph with a 14 pitch prop with just me in the boat. It is 100% possible because it happened just like I hit 28.2 mph with my 20hp suzuki. Sometimes things are unexplainable and I had a Witness with me,my buddy. I guess he must of fixed the gps to show a higher speed than I was going,come on,what do I gain from lying,nothing. It is what it is,if you don't believe it than that is your opinion but numbers and I don't lie. My 2 cylinder merc smoked any 2 cylinder on the water,a 3 cylinder is a different animal and I never mentioned 3 cylinder engines. I said mercs and yamaha,common sense would tell you I was talking about the 2 cylinder engine,not 3. All I do is buy and sell any and every brand of engine up to 25hp and I test all of them and the average speed for 25hp 2 stroke mercs in the 2 cylinder form on an aluminum boat is usually upper,upper 20s to the low and mid 30s. Tons of aluminum boats on YouTube doing well over 30mph with a 25hp 2 cylinder engine. Again I was pushing a 14 pitch prop not a small 11 pitch prop so it was a huge difference in pitch. With a full load ,a hair over 1000 lbs of toal weight in the boat we(2 of us)did near 32mph. Don't you think these numbers suprised me as well,that is why I verified with 3 other gps devices. The chances of 4 gps devices being wrong is around 0%. When I go out this week coming I will try to video my gps if I can while driving the boat . Like I said the 28.2mph was only for a minute or so,my average speed was 26-27mph with me and 100lbs in the front for porpoising purposes.

I have run jon boats my whole life so far,say 30 yrs or so and the wider the boat usually planes much easier and can get amazing speeds. The boat is only 310lbs. I know what all 4 gps devices said and it's accurate whether anyone believes it or not is irrelevant to me and I can care less. Numbers don't lie,plain and simple.

The new date, for the Yamaha 25 with the tiller and tiller controls is August 3rd. We shall see.

For now I'm floating with the trolling motor.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1500695323566.jpg
    FB_IMG_1500695323566.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,739
  • FB_IMG_1500695315230.jpg
    FB_IMG_1500695315230.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,739
Lol. Hey that trolling motor maybe all you need. Have you looked at anything else and I'm not talking the suzuki, how about a 25-30hp etec. They are freaken sweet outboards to. If I had the extra money to blow that is what would be on the back of my boat 100% because it's simple and now comes with a 10yrs warranty, can't beat that. I just look at the cost difference between all the 25hp 4 strokes and again suzuki wins hands down. I was looking into the Yamaha until I called the place here in fl,he tells me well after tax,ok no problem,then a $80 pdi,I said are you joking me,then they wanted like $15 to put oil in,I said I can do my own oil thank you very much, so after this and that and this,blah,blah,blah,it went from $3110 to over $3600,it said forget it,it can get a brand new 25AS Delivered to my door for $3000 and no cost pdi,no tax and no shipping. I told him they are rediculous for charging that to people, I told the guy they rigorously check them before being crated and I told him what are you going to do,pull it from the box,put oil in it and crank it over to make sure it starts,he said yep,I said that will be $80 please for cranking it over,I told him your insane,keep your yamaha. Hell, $3600,for $200 more I may as well buy a etec. These places are scammers trying to squeeze out every penny they can get. I told them to keep his outboards,lol, I will stick to suzuki for price and quality.

Just for me,I can't and won't find a better deal at near $3k and a full 6yr warranty for a 25hp efi engine. I'm no frills to,no need for electric start or power t+t and all the trolling stuff ,it's a waste for me in general, as long as my engine starts and I can maually tilt or trim it out physically with no issues that is where I stay until I start getting older and would like a new electric start and power t +t. I'm good to go now. People don't realize just how easy these new efi outboards start now by pull rope. No more bleeding hands,etc.... One good pull or 2 at the most and she will turn over no problem.

When I look for info on certain things on forums, it's a real pisser when they go way off topic...
Start a new thread, hope the guy that started this one is getting on the water.

Latest posts