New 2017 25hp 4 stroke efi yamaha

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zum said:
When I look for info on certain things on forums, it's a real pisser when they go way off topic...
Start a new thread, hope the guy that started this one is getting on the water.

Reminds me when I built a Jeep 20 years ago and posted on a jeep forum. Plenty of people telling me why I was dumb to spend the money on certain stuff. Build a jeep today and you will find the same proper spring rates and valving on today's builds that I was an idiot for using then. I ran low stiff suspension and valving that matched then trimmed fenders to clear tires. 8" Skyjacker was the norm and all I was doing was hacking up a jeep. Sand rail forum is same same. I run spring rates that I came up with for a 1600 lbs car and that is stiffer than most use on 2600 lbs cars. Guess who gets spanked? Rokon motorcycles and my fast engines that I sold were ridiculed. Today those same dorks sell my carb and hop up Harbor freight junk to slap in them. My bet is the daisy with the Yamaha bought the right engine but let's continue to basically tell him he spent way too much for a slow POS because this is the Internet and that's what your supposed to do. :D

Somebody mentioned ETEC. Screw ETEC and their 2 stroke.

Was at the river this morning, bright and early. Catching fish before anyone even bothered getting out of bed. Anyway, by 8am they were coming out of the woodwork, so to speak. I'd already limited out many times over but anyway, a bunch of guides were coming out. Most are Shawnees with 40/30 Yamaha jet and a few 50/35 Honda's. Very few mercury's. ONE was an ETEC jet. I was fishing near the ramp and the ETEC launched, he fired the engine and I could hear it plain as day. His customers hopped in and off they went downriver, probably to the famous shoal that I know of, only accessible by jet and/or canoe (or drag a prop driven boat over it, though it's really too swift for wading). Anyway, most of us are in the low to mid 20's for speeds on that river; anything bigger/faster really isn't designed for the shallows. So this guy with the ETEC takes off, full throttle, and I heard it for over 10 minutes straight, so what? 5 miles or so? Man that thing was noisy.

Anyway I continued to drift with the current down river to the first shoal, about 2 1/2 miles down from the ramp. Wore 'em out too. Got to the 2nd shoal and I heard what I thought was a motor running out of the water. It was a little foggy so I couldn't see real far, 1000 feet maybe? The motor sounded horrible, running very rough, I figured it might have been someone running one on muffs up at the boat repair shop. Nope. Shawnee with an ETEC appears through the fog. They get up to me and asked if I knew anything about motors. ETEC? No, what's going on? He says it has real low power, runs extremely rough, using a ton of fuel. I don't know. I'm not an ETEC guru, told the man, if it were a Yamaha I could tell ya, but I know nothing of them. I asked if they needed a tow, and sure enough, the thing didn't have enough power to pull it across the first shoal which is a narrower part of the river, and shallow, so I had to hook a rope and pull as best I could. Drug bottom a little, but they made it back to the ramp. I made sure to stay close just in case they needed another tow or whatever. Get to the ramp and they loaded up, said it used a little over 1/2 of the 6 gal tank of fuel, and then said he was headed for the dealer. Customers not happy. I recognized one of them as the brother of an old girlfriend, and I offered to take him along since I had an empty seat. He politely declined, and I was done for the day; and loaded up & went home.

I sure want to know what's going on with that ETEC. Maybe an injector or high pressure pump issue? Don't know. I reckon it could also be a sensor, or a dead cylinder or something. 2 things I know. Don't put a jet foot on it (noisier than any motor I've ever heard) and I question the reliability. Sure can't work on it at the water, well, unless you know your ETEC's. I don't and I admit it.

I did get the opportunity to run one at a demo, and honestly wasn't that impressed with it, for what it costs and it's weight, I can't see any advantage. Speaking specifically of the 25hp version, and this was in late Spring, 2016 when I was involved with it, maybe they've gotten a little better since then. I dunno. Also ran a suzuki prototype, both 20 and 25hp, and neither was all that great, about average, some things I liked others I didn't but overall, it wasn't any better than anything else I ran that day-including that old outdated Yamaha 20hp; and the big heavy 25hp. There was a prototype Yamaha there too, which was nothing like what is in production; it was a bad dude, but as I said, completely different than what is currently being offered. I actually think it was a lightened version of a 40 with derated horsepower based on how it sounded and ran. Then Merc had their offerings (Tohatsu's), and then the TLDI, which I kinda liked. But for what I do, which is a combination of things....hunt, fish, fish on lakes, and then in creeks, the old heavy and slow 4 stroke Yamaha will work just fine.

Lot of guys like them. I was on the fence, but after this deal, I'm off that fence now.

Hey folks, first time poster here. I searched up this post after getting off the water yesterday fairly frustrated and had to sign up. I just got my '17 F25LWTC. The motor itself was delivered in early March. Much like daisycutter, the tiller handle install kit wasn't available and I finally was able to get it together and on my boat this past Thursday. I'm very unimpressed so far. I've got 7 hours on it. I'm seriously hoping it's a fuel issue. [-o<

I've got the motor bolted on an Alumacraft Escape 145. I'm seeing mid 23 mph barely going downriver and no umph whatsoever. It does physically sound better than the heavier '14 Yamaha 25 the dealer loaned me in May due to the protracted wait, but it isn't matching the performance I was seeing with the older motor. I didn't consider the '14 as being a performer and really was anticipating a better ride.

I need to do some errands and get a different tank with some new gas and will hit the water again this afternoon. The '14 motor was able to get me, my wife, two smalls and the dog up and running about 24mph. I was getting mid 27's alone, overly loaded with tackle and gear. The motor does look great. Also, the VTS on my motor only seems to have 5 rpm settings and not the 7 currently advertised?! I drove a new '17 Yamaha 75hp two weeks ago, that defiantly had more VTS adjustability.

Attachments

• 20170729_205230.jpg
    20170729_205230.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2,650
The Alumacraft Escape 145 might be a little underpowered with a 25hp with a base hull weight of 604lbs. Just a thought. The older Yamaha should have more torque with a bit more displacement and 3 cylinders. The less weight is what sets this motor apart.

I'm really curious to see what Albitross finds.

Could it be a prop issue since you're at the heavier end of the 25hp applications? Would a lower pitch prop make a difference on your boat with the 25?

I'm still waiting for my tiller controls.

That 25hp should do much better than 23mph imo. I still think the suzuki is the much more powerful motor and much cheaper. A 25hp should get that on plane with no issues. Alumacraft has the exact same boat with a 25hp 2 stroke that was doing high 20s in their performance bulletins but I can't find it anymore. They claim this motor has more grunt and wot speed than that engine then it should definitely get you mid 20s or better. Man,I wish I could find it. I would be very disappointed to with 23mph.

Might be built into the CPU why it feels slow. I thought I remember my Etec ran like a dog until it had X number of hours on it and it stopped limiting the RPM's. Yamaha 25 4 strokes have ALWAYS been under powered. So hopefully it is just the Programming.

I'm glad I went with the 20hp suzuki even know it will peak my interest on what a 25hp would do for my boat.

I was talking to a guy on another forum and he estimated his boat to weigh approx. 800lbs and he's running the new F25 and says he's running in the upper 20s and lower 30s.

gettinback said:
I was talking to a guy on another forum and he estimated his boat to weigh approx. 800lbs and he's running the new F25 and says he's running in the upper 20s and lower 30s.

That's what I'm saying, something just isn't right ,he should be getting more than 23mph. 25-26mph is at least respectable.

Yeah just doesn't seem right. But I doubt he will be back to tell us his findings. I hate when people pop up and don't post any follow up. Maybe someone else will chime in on their experience with this motor. I will give a detailed report as soon as I get my boat but that won't be til sometime in September.

https://roswell.craigslist.org/bod/d/2017-model-yamaha-f25seha/6253187052.html

Stumpalump said:
https://roswell.craigslist.org/bod/d/2017-model-yamaha-f25seha/6253187052.html

That is for the carb model not the new efi model. The new efi model will be a 2018. Every august they start the next yr model yr.

August 15 is my new ETA for the tiller controls parts.

Delayed for the umpteenth time.

I'm really really really not impressed.

DaisyCutter said:
August 15 is my new ETA for the tiller controls parts.

Delayed for the umpteenth time.

I'm really really really not impressed.

I can't believe how long this is taking for you,i surely hope after all this time waiting this engine is worth it. I have heard mixed reviews on it so far.Most say it's under powered for a 25hp but most say it's smooth as can be. I rather have a bit rough and a ton of power but that is just me.The more i read on this engine and see videos it makes me more and more thankful i bought my suzuki. I'm sure it will hold up being a yamaha but imo if it's a under powered engine it may only be good for flat bottom boats because they need very little to more them. Most new 20hp engines are near the 330-350 CCs area so this 25hp having such a small displacement could be the issue.I mean at 432 CCs it should have some get up and go but it is by far the lowest rated cc engine out of all the 25hp engines. Think about this,a 25hp etec is at 577 CCs and the yamaha is at 432CCs and it's only like a 20lb difference in weight. I know a etec would smoke a 25hp yamaha as well as most 25hp engines of today.This is why i like the 25hp suzuki so much,it has a 3rd cylinder and even weighs less than most 25hp 2 or 4 strokes.It has a healthy 489 CCs of displacement so it lacks in nothing imo. It's by far the best priced engine ($3000-$3200 shipped to my door and a full 6yr warranty) for the money and it has a stellar reputation. If i had money to throw around i would probably get a 25hp etec rope start.I found them on clearance in CT for a unreal price of $3559.That is a great price for a 2 stroke DFI engine imo.

I truly hope this yamaha works out for you since you've waited for near 9 months patiently.

I chose the F25 first cause it's a Yamaha. Also because of the weight savings in a technical poling skiff 10lbs here and there add up. I also like the gear shift lever in the tiller handle make things easier when operating with an tiller extension. I havn't had a chance to run it yet but I can expect that it will run better than my first choice which was going to be the Suzuki 20hp. Hope I'm right. Oh yeah and it's a Yamaha.

I have owned them ALL. Suzuki I will NEVER buy again. Biggest POS I have ever owned. warrenty was a joke, trying to get fixed was a joke. Factory service team showed up and still could not fix issue. Failure to admit to casting flaws on lower unit. Oil leaking despite every oil seal being replaced. Couple of dead spots in the TPS.

Yamaha has always been the goto motor for reliability. While the 25hp motor has always been underpowered compared to the others, it just keeps on running while the others are blown up. I am sure the motor will be fine for what you need it to do.

And Scoobeb, we are all tired of hearing about your Suzuki. you have told the same stories over and over and over................................!!! Give us a break!

Latest posts