New 2017 25hp 4 stroke efi yamaha

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard mixed reviews on every motor on the market. Just talked to a guy on another forum who was having mixed feelings about going w/ the new Yamaha so he cancelled his order and went with the 25 Suzuki and 2hours in he's already having issues. So not sure which is best but Yamaha has a stellar reputation. I hope I'm not gonna be eating my words later. But I will always go with reliability over a few moths.

tomme boy said:
And Scoobeb, we are all tired of hearing about your Suzuki. you have told the same stories over and over and over................................!!! Give us a break!

I'm not a big poster here but I really enjoy learning everything everyone here has to offer. I started checking this thread with the new Yamaha motor interest. Was following the delays, but there's a constant Knock that I've read over and over and over. Not only in this thread, but others that were started by the knock, so I can avoid that.
Sounds like there's someone trying to convince theirselves (and others) of something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomme boy said:
I have owned them ALL. Suzuki I will NEVER buy again. Biggest POS I have ever owned. warrenty was a joke, trying to get fixed was a joke. Factory service team showed up and still could not fix issue. Failure to admit to casting flaws on lower unit. Oil leaking despite every oil seal being replaced. Couple of dead spots in the TPS.

Yamaha has always been the goto motor for reliability. While the 25hp motor has always been underpowered compared to the others, it just keeps on running while the others are blown up. I am sure the motor will be fine for what you need it to do.

And Scoobeb, we are all tired of hearing about your Suzuki. you have told the same stories over and over and over................................!!! Give us a break!

First off this is my thread,if you don't like it stay out. 2nd if you think suzuki is a pos your clueless about outboards. Every manufacturer has their good and bad engines. Just because your engine had an issue doesn't mean all suzuki's are junk. So if you bought a Honda Accord one day and had issues that means honda sucks,you make no sense.

2nd I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I think the Yamaha is a fine engine. I just prefer suzuki and I can voice my opinion when or where I want and like I said if you Don't like it then don't post in here. I'm not invading anyone's thread,I made it I will write what I please.

So far you said etec is junk,suzuki is junk,that tells me you love yamaha which is your opinion but saying the other brands are junk is just simply not true. Again every manufacturer has their duds.

Yamaha is so great that's why this poor guy has been waiting almost a yr for his engine. Plus I simply made some suggestions to him,because he was contemplating not getting the whole package so I explained to him a suzuki 25hp would be a great engine for his boat. I don't like one brand over the other,I go by performance and reliability and most brands are reliable in today's economy. I just like the suzuki because I've ran it and it would probably do well on his heavier boat.
I even said if I had the money a 25hp etec is the way I would go,I would take a 25hp DFI 2 stroke over Any 4 stroke imo.

I think the 25hp 2 stroke yamaha is one of the best engines ever built and if they still were available I would take one way over a suzuki,so how's that for trying to convince anyone of anything and that I'm supposably knocking the Yamaha brand. I love yamaha, I've owned several and have never had an issue with them. With today's engines since we have no other options new besides the 4 strokes or dfi engines it's a crap shoot as far as performance. I have never knocked yamaha,ever. I just again simply explained that since he's had issues getting his engine I threw out the suzuki and imo you get more motor for the money,how do you get I'm knocking yamaha out of that?

All the bigger displacement 25s are just detuned 30s.

A 250cc dirtbike is near 40hp. I'm not worried about the 432cc motor being smaller displacement. I didn't want to carry the weight of a 30hp for the performance of only a 25hp.

I'm driving back from San Diego right now. Of the fishing boats with outboards, almost all had Yamahas.

The parts I'm missing are in transit. 8/23 will be nine months of waiting.

A 250cc dirt bike is in fact near 40hp nowadays. But keep in mind that they also require rebuilds at around 10 hours use. Or at least that's the recommended interval. They make power but at around 12,000 RPM. An outboard motor running 12k RPM at full load for hours on end will not last. Not at all.

The 25hp 2 stroke yamaha.....which one are you talking about? twin carb? Single carb? 3 cylinder?

I get to work on motors, specifically Yamaha. And I can tell you first hand experience that out of the thousands that are in this area, the ones I see most often, are 2 stroke motors. Now that could be due to more of them being out there or it could mean that they're broken more. I don't know. That's just what I see.

When the local duck hunting areas were 25hp maximum, I saw TONS of 3 cylinder yamaha's out there. Mostly because they'd pull a bigger prop and run a couple mph faster (stock) and then the modified ones would make a LOT more power and go faster. Those duck hunters were mostly boat racers. But there were a few 4 stroke 25's out there too, and of those guys and gals, they all said the same things. They never had to work on 'em unless they were doing something really stupid like beaching their rig at full speed or purposely jumping logs or whatever.

Local river is lined with boat docks, a bunch of them have professional guide services. At those guide docks, you see one Merc and the rest are Yamaha's, mostly 4 stroke 40hp jets (40/30). On the river, you rarely see anything but Yamaha outboards. On the lake yesterday for the eclipse, I saw one mercury on a bass boat, and a few I/O powered runabouts, and most everything else was Yamaha. Not a single Honda or junkzuki to be seen anywhere. But there's only 2 'zuke dealers in the state, both of which are 100+ miles away from the 2 main areas that I am fishing. In my mind, if these things were so great, why are they not all over the place?? We go down to the Gulf every year and there are bigger rigs everywhere. Rarely do I see anything but 250hp+ Yamaha's. This last spring I spotted a rig with THREE 400hp Mercury's but I assume it was only because Merc is the only 400hp outboard out there. Or does BRP have one now too? We don't see that stuff around here, too far inland, and no boats big enough to require that much motor.

turbotodd said:
A 250cc dirt bike is in fact near 40hp nowadays. But keep in mind that they also require rebuilds at around 10 hours use. Or at least that's the recommended interval. They make power but at around 12,000 RPM. An outboard motor running 12k RPM at full load for hours on end will not last. Not at all.

The 25hp 2 stroke yamaha.....which one are you talking about? twin carb? Single carb? 3 cylinder?

I get to work on motors, specifically Yamaha. And I can tell you first hand experience that out of the thousands that are in this area, the ones I see most often, are 2 stroke motors. Now that could be due to more of them being out there or it could mean that they're broken more. I don't know. That's just what I see.

When the local duck hunting areas were 25hp maximum, I saw TONS of 3 cylinder yamaha's out there. Mostly because they'd pull a bigger prop and run a couple mph faster (stock) and then the modified ones would make a LOT more power and go faster. Those duck hunters were mostly boat racers. But there were a few 4 stroke 25's out there too, and of those guys and gals, they all said the same things. They never had to work on 'em unless they were doing something really stupid like beaching their rig at full speed or purposely jumping logs or whatever.

Local river is lined with boat docks, a bunch of them have professional guide services. At those guide docks, you see one Merc and the rest are Yamaha's, mostly 4 stroke 40hp jets (40/30). On the river, you rarely see anything but Yamaha outboards. On the lake yesterday for the eclipse, I saw one mercury on a bass boat, and a few I/O powered runabouts, and most everything else was Yamaha. Not a single Honda or junkzuki to be seen anywhere. But there's only 2 'zuke dealers in the state, both of which are 100+ miles away from the 2 main areas that I am fishing. In my mind, if these things were so great, why are they not all over the place?? We go down to the Gulf every year and there are bigger rigs everywhere. Rarely do I see anything but 250hp+ Yamaha's. This last spring I spotted a rig with THREE 400hp Mercury's but I assume it was only because Merc is the only 400hp outboard out there. Or does BRP have one now too? We don't see that stuff around here, too far inland, and no boats big enough to require that much motor.

They de tune those race bike motors a smidge for quads and they last forever. Ring it's neck out for 15 motos on the rev limiter and 10 hours sounds right. The Hondas ect have the same 10 hour spec. Feeding a 25hp version ice cold water should last 1000's of hours. That motor will be bitchin!

Everyone has their own opinions of what's the best,etc.. I'm not one to pick one brand over another. I just like the 25hp 4 stroke suzuki, especially for the price. If you want to know my favorite engines in the 25hp range it's hands down the early 90s 25hp 2 stroke merc, then the double carb 25hp 2 stroke yamaha. I like how light they are and powerful. Now in the 4 stroke department I love the 25hp 4 stroke suzuki because I've had one and it ran awesome. I love tohatsu to,they make a crap load of outboards for them of course, merc and used to be nissan up to 30hp,evinrude 4 strokes up to 15hp. I don't have any particular brand I like better than others it all comes down to features imo. If I go 25hp 4 stroke, it will be the suzuki, if I have the money I will go 25hp etec DFI for a 2 stroke.

Everyone again has their own favorite engine and brand.

I live on the Gulf as well and I agree 90% of the outboards on the water is dominated by Yamaha and Mercury hands down. Then comes every other brand mixed. So if that is the case that would explain more yamahas and mercs being in the shop more than any other brand.

You may laugh but the best engine I've ever owned was a 2001 9.9hp 2 stroke tohatsu. Back in 2001 I knew nothing about engines,I was just learning about engines and all I knew was 50:1 gas and go. I ran that thing well over 1000 hrs in say 7yrs,never did a thing to it,not because I didn't want to I just wasn't maintenance smart. All I did was flush the saltwater out and clean the engine after every use and lube the whole engine with walmart super tech lube. No impeller change,no spark plug change,no lower unit oil change and that engine ran flawlessly for 7yrs I had it and my buddy still has it I sold it to and runs as good as the day I bought it. What great engines tohatsu builds.

I ordered this boat on December 23rd. Now, finally... the motor is mounted.

https://youtu.be/w-b4nPzhHYA

Lake test this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20170830_192417.jpg
    IMG_20170830_192417.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,539
  • IMG_20170830_192350.jpg
    IMG_20170830_192350.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,539
Wow! What a cool motor and you did a great job highlighting it's features. Can't you interface those small Yamahas with electronic fish finders and plotters to tell you the vitals? Are you going to tell us what prop, RPM and speed you are seeing? Now is the time to get Cabellas to give you the perfect pitch prop anyway. Congradulation!

There is a really cool wireless digital gauge called 'Command Link'. I may look into it it the price isn't absurd.

I did check the prop.

Attachments

• IMG_20170831_110946.jpg
    IMG_20170831_110946.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2,545
Not sure you would want the speed and fuel consumption part of this but the tach portion alone is about half.

https://www.simyamaha.com/Command_Link_Single_Engine_Round_Gauge_Kit_p/6y8-0e83r-91-00.htm

It should run between 23 and 27 with that prop.

My boat has similar specs as yours and with my 4 stoke Yamaha 15hp and two adults I run 21 mph. Would love to see what that 25 could do on my tin.

Well that didn't take long....just kidding
I'm sure you will be happy, enjoy your fun.

It was a busy holiday weekend at the lake, but I did get a chance to try out the Yamaha 25. We managed 27 mph on the GPS. I was hoping for more, but that was in chop, with 2 adults, and a bimini top. There was a fair amount of porpoising, so I will have to adjust the load a bit.

Overall I'm really happy.

DaisyCutter said:
It was a busy holiday weekend at the lake, but I did get a chance to try out the Yamaha 25. We managed 27 mph on the GPS. I was hoping for more, but that was in chop, with 2 adults, and a bimini top. There was a fair amount of porpoising, so I will have to adjust the load a bit.

That is a decent overall wot speed. Just food for thought, I understand this contradicts the manual but break that motor in hard while varying rpms if you want to seat the rings properly. You get one shot at it. If you baby it your motor will never run at full potential as far as power wise due to the rings not being seated correctly and it sounds like you want as much wot speed as you can get . Most important thing is always warm it up for a few minutes and your good to go. Good luck.

DaisyCutter said:

Fwiw I have a 2016 Alumcraft V16-15 (b/c my old 15hp motor was a short shaft), and picked up a 2009 Yamaha 25 2-stroke (dual carbs).

With me, my wife, two young kids, and one or two of my kids' friends, gear, battery, and around 55lbs in fuel (1 x 6gal tank, 1 x 3 gal spare tank) I can hit almost 27mph on calm water with no head wind.

With a fully loaded boat, me, wife, two other adults, our two kids, food, gear, battery, gas, I can hit 23 mph, although it takes longer to plane out.

Both of those speeds are WOT.

At 1/2 throttle, I get 24(ish) and 21(ish) respectively, depending on waves and wind. I rarely run at WOT, as the extra gas just isnt worth the extra 2-3 mph. I use just under 3gal to run 25mi at that throttle position/speeds.

I have been considering ditching my cherry Yammie for either the Suzuki DF25A or the new Yammie F25, as I am getting sick of doing the 2 stroke oil dance, the noise, and the gas pigging, so I'm **really** interested to hear how the new one performs with your V16...

I was leaning toward the Suzuki and its three cylinder setup. I would imagine the torque band would develop at a lower range, but that's just supposition, but I love my Yamaha, and if I replace it, I'd probably drop the extra coin on the new gen F25...

Latest posts