revolver hobby

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
When I thought my fishing days were behind me I was into shooting and everything that comes with it: reloading, smelting lead, casting bullets, making bullet lube and a little gunsmithing on Rugers. Or a lot if you're ocd. The first snow made me stir crazy the other day so I picked up one I forgot about and finished putting it together. Originally it was 357 but now it's a 45 with parts from Colt and another brand of gun and I thought I'd take a pic to share. It's as much fun as remodeling a boat. This one is probably number 15 or so. With the help of a welder and a machinist I turned some into fixed sights like the original Colts and one or two have brass grip frames and also custom hammers. Some wear grips I made from burl walnut. I was so into it I took a gunsmithing class at an NRA campus but I only do this with my own guns. I got to be a fairly good shot back when my eyesight was better. These days I'm more pumped about getting back on the water.

f4ffgpYl.jpg

nice! i keep saving for a model 29,but every time i get close i end up getting some thing else that's not even firearms related.i do have a saa .357 though.

Attachments

• 20151124_184237_LLS.jpg
    20151124_184237_LLS.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 7,349
I really want a Model 17 with the 8 3/8” barrel. Epic woods/camping/pack/squirrel gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice ruger, like single actions very much. It may have been the tv westerns years ago. Actually like a single action better than a double action.

The weather was nice today so I went to the range for the first time in 18 months. Almost stopped paying dues last year but glad I didn't. The gun at top did fine with my sissy loads but a large frame 45 has headspace issues which is an easy fix. It'll get a different grip frame too in case it ever needs to handle heavy loads. I forgot how much I liked to shoot and reload and tinker.

ar2x7Del.jpg

Jim said:
Love that small 44 Magnum. It's on my wish list.

Yeah....even if you miss the burglar, you'll blow his skin off with the muzzle blast. :shock: =D>

Roger

GTS225 said:
Jim said:

Yeah....even if you miss the burglar, you'll blow his skin off with the muzzle blast. :shock: =D>

Roger

It’s a lot more fun to shoot with .44 special rounds, that’s for sure!

paper said:
GTS225 said:
Jim said:

Roger

It’s a lot more fun to shoot with .44 special rounds, that’s for sure!

You better be wearing hearing protection also. If you fire this in the house and miss, you will both be deaf. If it hits its mark only you will be deaf.

Absolutely!
It’s used only for target shooting, and being short and ported, I wear double protection when shooting it. Usually it’s shot at my Club which is No Blue Sky, meaning it’s in a concrete bunker. Loud when shooting anything.
I don’t shoot it much, but I find it fun and a very beautiful revolver.

Here ya go Johnny, a couple of 45s that used to be 357s. Once they're usable I'm happy with em. Only 6 shooters though.

4mpoBRGl.jpg

Reminds me of Tuco, from the 'Good the Bad and the Ugly'. Walk into the store, pick a few revolvers, and make one.

ncfishin said:
Reminds me of Tuco, from the 'Good the Bad and the Ugly'. Walk into the store, pick a few revolvers, and make one.

We're lucky today, manufacturing tolerances on revolvers are pretty tight and swapping parts out gains very little if anything. Even cylinder gap decrease is negligible with different cylinders and you run the risk of timing problems swapping out cylinders not made / fitted for the revolver.

Now if we're talking 1911's they may be a different story. Accurizing some of those loosey goosey guns can make a BIG difference in accuracy and possibly performance too.

SeaFaring said:
I really want a Model 17 with the 8 3/8” barrel. Epic woods/camping/pack/squirrel gun.
Ohhhhhhh, I have a MINT one! 'Stole it' really ... was for sale at a shop for $475 and I couldn't get the $$ out of my pocket fast enough!

... if I ever decide to move it, I will let you know!

Latest posts