Dayum BIG striper!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Just caught by a friend of my brothers, 57” long, just waiting for word on the weight.

And of course ... caught off the mackerel schools.

Attachments

• 42428AB7-0353-4248-973D-E93BA4704E3D.jpeg
    42428AB7-0353-4248-973D-E93BA4704E3D.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 6,640
Yes, big it is! Wonder how long it took to bring that one in?

Do you keep them where you are?

The guide that I used a number of times over the last few years won't let his customers keep ANY stripers. The fish here are all land-locked and the big ones are rare. I don't mind throwing those back at all.

Great catch!

richg99 said:
Wonder how long it took to bring that one in?
... I bet a while ...

Do you keep them where you are?
I'll keep 1 if deep hooked (won't survive) or 1 for the grill here & there, like a planned cookout with family &/or friends. Mass has a 1 fish > 28" limit per day. Personally I wished we go for a 'slot limit' like the state of Maine has, that protects the breeding females. Where an angler can keep 1 fish per day measuring between 20 and 26", but if you're lucky enough to catch a striper > 40", you can keep that as a trophy fish. Their Marine Fisheries report that most Maine anglers release the big ones.

Some saltwater striped bass info - Striped bass can live up to 40 years and reach weights greater than 100 pounds. However, individuals larger than 50 pounds are rare. The all-tackle angling record fish was caught in Connecticut in 2011 and weighed 81½ pounds. The Massachusetts record is a 73-pound fish caught from the surf at Nauset Beach in 1981.

Females grow larger than males and most stripers over 30 pounds are female. The number of eggs produced by a female striped bass is directly related to the size of its body; a 12-pound female may produce about 850,000 eggs, and a 55-pound female about 4,200,000 eggs. Males are able to spawn starting when they are two or three years of age, but females do not begin to spawn until they are at least five or six years of age. Stripers reproduced in rivers and the brackish areas of estuaries.

Spawning occurs from the spring to early summer, with the greatest activity occurring when the water warms to about 65 degrees F. The eggs drift in currents until they hatch 1 ½ to 3 days after being fertilized. Because newly hatched larvae are nearly helpless; striped bass suffer their highest rate of natural mortality during the several weeks after hatching.

LDUBS said:
Holy Moley, that is one huge striper and a beautiful fish. If you didn't know the guy I would suspect some photo shopping.
Yep. More pics would help...

Great fish. The SC state record for striper is 63 pounds , that fish was 49 1/2" long. Do you know what it bit, menhaden or eel? What state? That's a awesome catch, looks like it could eat a 5 lb plus fish

holy cow that is a cow of a striper, very interesting info. Most fish live longer and take longer to achieve great size than most people would think. Catfish are much the same the way a 40lb blue cat often times in probably around 20 something years old depending on the water way. When cat fishing I tend to only keep little couple pounders to eat any bigguns I let go back to make more and hopefully bite again another day when they've gotten even bigger.

Latest posts