Just Downloaded Windows 10

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 30 days to decide if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 for free when I got a new laptop in September. Went ahead and did the upgrade. My work computer is running Windows 7. A bit of difference in the controls/menus to get used to with Windows 10, but other that absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

I went from 7 to 10 a few weeks ago. I have no complaints about 10.
Got my lady a Windows tablet for Christmas that ran Windows 8. THAT is a nightmare. We did the Windows 10 update on that yesterday and we're happy again.

I little more than a month ago I did the upgrade from that day my computer was not working properly. Unfortunately I didn't know I had 1 month to go back to 8.1, today I had to restore my computer back to windows 8.

OK, I have been running Windows 10 for four months now and I have not had any problems with the system so far. All of my programs seem to work just fine with the new system. It is different from Windows 7 which meant I had to learn a few things which hasn't been all that bad for me. I actually like it more and more the the more I use it. I am not using a touch screen as of yet. I have it on my desktop and one laptop and it seems to be running fine on both. My work warned us to not load Windows 10 because the IT team said it would not work with their e-mail system. That was six months ago and I have not seen any more e-mails from them warning us of it lately. I have no problems with my work e-mail on my desktop or home laptop. I may try to load it on my work laptop soon. BTW, My work laptop is my laptop, not a company owned laptop.

Those that have upgraded with problems, you're forgetting the difference between the operating system and device drivers. Video cards, network cards, trackpads are all made by vendors other than the OS, or even PC makers.

If the maker of the computer does not have upgraded drivers, check the I/O makers site and download them. If they're not available you're out of luck.

Microsoft had a compatibility check program that would tell you what may not work BEFORE getting the free V10 upgrade. Failing to do before installing the upgrade will take some sleuthing around on your part, hopefully the network drivers are intact and you can do that or go to another machine to research the drivers.

JMichael said:
I hired on with IBM when DOS didn't exist and neither did the PC. :lol: Being in the computer industry when it all started and watching the PC develop from inception to what it is today has been interesting to watch. I thought XP was a very good OS, and 98 wasn't bad either.

Me too... IBM West Palm (CSD) (1980) then ESD Boca development on monitors, I/O, systems, and engineering test. I left in 1995 just before we were sold to Lenovo. Where were you?

I'm sorry for reviving a necro thread. But I just stumbled across your post. I wanted to whine about being an IT guy for the entire family. But I saw your replies that you switched to Linux, and I see you are pretty happy about it.

I totally get the struggle of being the go-to IT person for family and friends. It's like we're expected to know everything about computers. I'm glad to hear you were able to solve the issue with your second monitor. It can be frustrating when things don't work as expected. As for learning Windows 10, it can definitely take some time to get used to, but I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly. And speaking of learning, have you checked out the Windows keys reddit sub? It's a great resource for finding helpful tips and tricks, especially if you're new to the Windows 10 platform. Anyway, good luck with all your tech support duties!

Last edited:

Latest posts