Upgrade passive livewell help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
llbaker2 said:
handyandy said:
just leave the plug out water will should come in while on plane from the hole catching some of the water as it goes by. Then when at rest water will kind of come in and out of ti as the bot rocks and moves. Leave the plug out and see what it does without the plug in, just leave the lid open watch the water level while on plane with the plug out.

This video explains the idea more, and he takes his passive livewell a step further with more holes a slight angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl2ucnabA9k

The video is basically the same setup/idea as my livewells except I just have one 3/4 inch hole in center of well. Still seems to me that since the boat is riding higher when planing that the level would drop at least partially and then refill when not planing. Guess they used a two inch standpipe to prevent all the water from draining out when on plane. Guess if I put minnows in well I will need to put some sort of screen over pipe end or use a perforated bucket or I will lose some of them out the pipe opening. Like you said I guess I need to leave hatch open and watch water level when planing and when off plane to see if it is doing what I think. Should be easy enough to do. Have one tank under helm and one under passenger seat. Can just leave passenger seat lid open when underway so can watch it. Guess I got confused because I've read about how most livewells have pumps and aerators when mine doesn't. Guess I will just go with it and see how how well it works. See how long fish stay alive.

I'd do the easiest thing first which is just try it and see what it does not like you have anything to lose doing that.

I have that exact setup. I use one for dry storage and the other one for fish. When sitting, leave the plug out. As you walk around the boat the water will go in and out of that hole. You can exaggerate that affect by standing on one side and then going to the other side. When underway the water will completely be sucked out of that hole. At least to the depth of the bunghole. While fishing I will leave the bunghole open and then plug it back up when I'm fixing to move again. Haven't lost a fish yet. when I'm putting the boat up for the week, I'll use a manual pump to finish draining the water. Leave it cracked open and let evaporation do the rest. Otherwise trapped moisture will do what it does.
Aluminum is a great conductor and will act like a giant water cooled heat sink. As long as you are in the water heat shouldn't be much of a problem. Especially if you leave the plug out.

FYI Go under your boat and measure how close that plug comes to the bottom. Mine is only 3/4 of and inch from the bottom. If you cut the bunghole off, that plug will protrude from the bottom.

Riverdog said:
I have that exact setup. I use one for dry storage and the other one for fish. When sitting, leave the plug out. As you walk around the boat the water will go in and out of that hole. You can exaggerate that affect by standing on one side and then going to the other side. When underway the water will completely be sucked out of that hole. At least to the depth of the bunghole. While fishing I will leave the bunghole open and then plug it back up when I'm fixing to move again. Haven't lost a fish yet. when I'm putting the boat up for the week, I'll use a manual pump to finish draining the water. Leave it cracked open and let evaporation do the rest. Otherwise trapped moisture will do what it does.
Aluminum is a great conductor and will act like a giant water cooled heat sink. As long as you are in the water heat shouldn't be much of a problem. Especially if you leave the plug out.

FYI Go under your boat and measure how close that plug comes to the bottom. Mine is only 3/4 of and inch from the bottom. If you cut the bunghole off, that plug will protrude from the bottom.
What riverdog said!!!! I have two livewells under rear seats in my tiller jet boat. When I start catching keepers, pull the plugs and throw the fish in. If I move to another spot to fish that’s a ways, I will put the plug back in for the move then pull it when I stop. Never lose any fish. When fishing, enough fresh water comes in for the fish. This type of livewell setup is typical on jet boats here in Missouri. I’m on my fourth jet boat and use it a lot in the spring for crappie and white bass, have never needed an aerated live well. When I get home, I clean the fish then pull the plug and have a hand pump and sponge to get all the water out. Leave the lid open and next time I fish, no moisture and no smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f990e15bfd58fbd9721aaa2d7fe2477d.png

llbaker2 said:
My livewell fills by removing drain plug from 2 inch tall, 3/4 inch diameter pipe (not sure if its the right term but lets call it a standpipe) that extends thru bottom of boat (see pic above). When you remove the pug the well fills with water to level equal to water level outside of boat. My question is what happens to livewell water level when boat is on plane? Seems like (since boat is higher out of water when planing) that the water level would drop (unless you plugged the standpipe before going on plane). If this is the case then all you would have to do is get boat up on plane for a little while to drain old water and then when you come off plane the well would fill back up. Is this the way it works or am I missing something? Just trying to figure this out. Guess I could test it out and see what happens. Debating adding a pump/aerator.

Be careful running the boat on plane (or any accelerated speed) with the drain unplugged. The hole at the bottom of the boat may get water forced into it by being on plane and next thing you know, you got an overflowing livewell. Saw this happen on a buddys baitwells, large 22ft fiberglass boat with above waterline drains. BTW, i understand defective plumbing on boats, livewells, washdowns and other things are the number 1 cause of boats sinking.

Tim

archery68 said:
f990e15bfd58fbd9721aaa2d7fe2477d.png

I'm not a big fan of lime green, but your boat looks awesome with that color.

The hole at the bottom of the boat may get water forced into it by being on plane and next thing you know, you got an overflowing livewell. Saw this happen on a buddys baitwells, large 22ft fiberglass boat with above waterline drains. BTW, i understand defective plumbing on boats, livewells, washdowns and other things are the number 1 cause of boats sinking.

I know mine sucks the water out. I wonder what makes the diverence? I know on the blazers, the drain is low and just rear of the center. I'm guessing the ones that push the water in are at the rear, maybe???

I know next to nothing about livewells...however, I have observed a number of them that have a "standpipe" screwed into the bottom drain.

Way back when I had a house with a basement, and basements in that area were known to occasionally flood....nearly every house had a five-foot standpipe near the floor drain. When we thought the rains were threatening, we screwed the standpipe into the drain.

When the outside water levels got too high, the water would rise up into the uncapped standpipe, rather than spilling out onto the basement floor.

I imagine that the Livewell "standpipes" that I saw did the same... The outside levels and pressures pushed water up the uncapped standpipe, but not out into the well unless you wanted it there.

Of course, too high of speed would push water all of the way out, so removing the "standpipe" and plugging the well was done when more speeds was added.

Latest posts