temporarily repairing a hole in your boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
onthewater102 said:
Riverdog said:
Crazyboat said:
JB weld or other epoxy type thing for small holes.

Just FYI. Aluminum welders hate working a spot that has previously had JB weld on it.

Do they prefer to work on boats @ the bottom of a lake?

I keep a tube of this on board just in case. Don't know if I'd trust the toilet wax ring applied from the outside - likely get scrapped off if you try moving at any speed.

N7GRCTb.jpg

Just hit a rock and put three small holes in the bottom. Talked to west boat shop in Missouri (where I bought the boat) and a shop closer here in Texas. Both asked if I put any JB weld on it. Said it would make their job harder. I don't know much about welding, just passing along the info.

Here's a post I found on another site.

Well after about 2 dozen calls and a visit to 2 marinas, I found a welder who will patch it about 40 miles from my house. He will get it in tomorrow.
I hit a ton of sites on this, got the following on JB Weld for hulls:
1. A lot of folks have used it with varying success.
2. While it does hold up well for things like cracked engine blocks, and intake valves, etc the flex of a boat hull especially one the width of mine, will lead it to fail sooner or later.
3. I had 4 welders tell me to go ahead and use it. and 5 tell me using it would be something i would regret and when I did finally come to them to weld it, they would charge me extra cause it has to be completely removed for them to fix it.
4. Some of the Epoxies out there work well, I think Gluvit was mentioned by name in this thread. I hit 5 stores near me and none of them carry it.
5. Long term permanent fix is find a welder, and get it fixed the old fashioned way.

Crazyboat said:
How hard can it be to grind out some JB WELD?

I'm not going to pretend I know much about welding (I can barely solder) I can only pass on what I have learned since putting holes in my boat. Here's another thread, if you care to read.

https://www.catfish1.com/threads/aluminum-boat-repair-question.3766/

i am a welder an mostly weld aluminum boats , i would NEVER recomend any kind of jb weld or cauking. yes it might be a cheap fix but it will have to be done over an over again un till you are tired of fixing an the worst part is when you deside to fix it RIGHT (welding) it will cost you more because of the impuritys you have been putting in the alum. an for a 5 to 7 inch split myself i would charge only about 40 bucks. witch isnt very much. so if i was you i would go to a local welding shop that welds aluminum an have it welded. they will probebly have a flat minumum charge for welding walkin work but it shouldnt be more than 50bucks if it is find someone else. clean it well befor you take it to have it looked at for this will help with cost if you have already preped it to weld you will need a stainless steel wire brush of any kind as in a manual or air powered i prefer air but use what you have. you can go to any local hardware store an pick up a stainless steel brush for around 5 bucks. it mush be stainless steel to brush aluminum. an drill a very small hole at the ends of the cracks this will help stop splitting. if you do these 2 things first befor you have it looked at it still will probly cost about 40 or what ever their flat fee is but it should only take them about 5 mins to fix.

newatcats is right on DON'T EVER try and fix any thing thats alum with jb weld been welding and in buisness for 42 years and once you put that s$!t on it you'll pay double to fix it right and the day will come you'll have to fix it. make sure ya drill that hole and get it clean,clean with solvent run a propane torch over the crack lighly to clean out the crack and wire brush. man $100.00 i think someone didn't want to do it or something may b he needed a new boat. lol. we charge in my shop 80.00 an hour with a 20.00 min. and if its all prept it should take less 1/2 hr or 40.00

My holes just happened to be under the rear bench. The welder had to remove the carpet and cut the top to remove the foam and clean the hull. I only wanted to do that once.

Attachments

• 100_1277.JPG
    100_1277.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 3,254
  • 20180729_170856[537].jpg
    20180729_170856[537].jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 3,254
  • 20180803_155920[536].jpg
    20180803_155920[536].jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 3,254
Depending on how much jb weld was used it can be a paint to get it cleaned away from the top and bottom side so you can make a good weld. If you don't clean it well and have some little bit left it gets in your weld and makes you have to grind away the crappy weld and redo it.

This guy did a test on a bunch of duct tapes including flex seal. Seemed like flex seal did the best underwater.
Tim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXpfgik9XA

earl60446 said:
This guy did a test on a bunch of duct tapes including flex seal. Seemed like flex seal did the best underwater.
Tim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXpfgik9XA

Hey, that wasn't Phil Swift. :LOL22:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EGksEQbhMkc

Temporarily: toilet ring wax and a piece of duct tape cover. This is why I didn't want welded in floors.

Crazyboat said:
How hard can it be to grind out some JB WELD?
I have welded where it has been used several times. You heat it and use a wire brush to get the majority of it out then clean it. Heating it releases it. About 700 degrees and it will run like water.

Latest posts