Tips for New Boaters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatCoversandBiminis

Reaction score
Having a new boat and hitting the water can be some of the best fun with friends and family. If you have recently become a new boater, let us offer you some tips to help begin your journey.

The most valuable piece of advice we can offer is to use common sense! Stay alert of your surroundings and watch out for other boaters, skiers and watercrafts. Remember there are other people on the water! Pay close attention to buoys and restricted areas as well. They are there for your safety!

Before you head out, check the weather to make sure you won’t get caught up in a storm. That could get dangerous quickly! Make sure someone knows where you are going and when you should be back. You never know when you could have boat issues and be stranded on the water. Secure your cell phone, wallet or any other valuables in a dry location so you can call for assistance if needed. Pack plenty of water and snacks. Boating and playing on the water can build up an appetite and thirst. Not to mention, it is easy to get overheated when you are out in the sun all day, so you need to stay hydrated. Now that you are ready to get on the boat, make sure you have a life jacket for every person on board, a tool box for any mechanical issues and a first aid kit on board. Make sure you have plenty of gas in your tank and check all the components to make sure everything is working properly.

Last but not least, remember to have respect for other boaters that are wanting to get on and off the lake too. Try to get on and off the boat ramp as promptly as possible. Don’t dock your boat at a public ramp for long periods of time, keeping other boaters from having access to it when needed.

Happy Boating! We hope you have a blast on the water and enjoy becoming a new boater.

Sincerely,
Shannon with Boat Covers Direct
866-626-8377
[email protected]

Running a boat is not the same as driving a car. Most newbies should do some reading or take a course to learn about boat handling and the rules of the road. Navigation is important. Keep safety in the front of your mind on the water. Don't drink and operate a boat.

Two adult middle aged men drowned last week at our local lake. No lifejackets on board in January. Don't make stupid mistakes.
Look out for the other guy.

Boat Covers Direct -- thanks for the the Tips.

I read about the drowning Pipine mentioned. Very sad. Folks on shore watched and encouraged one of the victims who was trying to swim to shore, but he just could'n't make it and there was nothing those folks could do to help. Very sad.

California now has a "driver's license" for boaters. It is being phased in by age groups, so I have a few years before I will have to get one. I kind of think of it like the old hunter's safety courses we had to take when we were kids -- you learn how to be safe and stay safe. Except it is for boats of course.

Thank you both for taking the time to share a word of advice.

It is absolutely heartbreaking to hear those fishermen did not survive such a tragedy. Safety is definitely key when on the water.

It is good to learn something about navigation. Sometimes you can get stuck in a fog bank. We fish late in the year and sometimes there can be a snow storm with limited visibility. Carry a compass and a chart. Make sure you have a depth finder. Carry a pole to push off with and check water depths in murky water. Make sure you have a way to get people back on board. I carry a ladder. Get a decent anchor (or 2) with plenty of line and a chain. Get some decent mooring lines and fenders. Carry some flares.

If you have trouble with boat handling in close quarters or trailering get some help. I just got a kicker motor which gives me some confidence on big lakes in case I lose the main engine. Boating is not as simple as it seems. Be careful and take care of any guests on board. Many of them know nothing about boats.

ppine said:
Running a boat is not the same as driving a car. Most newbies should do some reading or take a course to learn about boat handling and the rules of the road. Navigation is important. Keep safety in the front of your mind on the water. Don't drink and operate a boat. paris airports transfers

Two adult middle aged men drowned last week at our local lake. No lifejackets on board in January. Don't make stupid mistakes.
Look out for the other guy.
hi, i agree with you

Latest posts