FORUM UPGRADE ISSUES

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weldorthemagnificent said:
Tapatalk isn't working for me.
Tapatalk isn't installed. Jim is tossing it around in his head as there are known issues with it. This site is now fully responsive anyway so tapatalk may not be needed.

As far as the cookies go not seeing what the big deal is. Click on "Got it" and done. Shouldn't pop up again unless you delete the cookie for this site from the browser.

FWIW, phpBB is based in the UK.

LDUBS said:
gnappi said:
I'm wondering why this site gives the message...

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website

Is it hosted in the EU?

Unless it is , or the site is targeting EU inhabitants, I'm wondering why the message. From what I've learned if it's in fact in the U.S...

Why is the notification "This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website" seen on many websites?

This is the law is enforced by governing bodies in the EU. So If you live outside of the EU, have a website hosted on a server outside of the EU, and are targeting consumers anywhere other than the EU, you don’t need a cookie consent notice.

The Main intention of this is:
Let users know if they are using cookies.
Explain what data is gathered through the use of cookies and how that data is used.
Gather user consent to the use of cookies.

There's is no explanation of WHAT data is being collected nor how it's used, am I missing something? Also, without cookies you cannot save your login, so if anyone is unclear that cookies are used I don't get it.

Hey, you never know. They fish for trout & ditch pickles out of tin boats in Switzerland! :LOL2: Actually I didn't know this was only an EU rule. I'm guessing it is just better to be on the safe side, but really have no idea.

The EU has much better data privacy laws than the US, hence the message. While certain sites technically may not need the message, it is a good idea to have it for peace of mind. A lot of companies get in legal trouble over privacy data laws sanctioned by the EU. While I couldn't imagine tinboats needed one, or ever being sued for data violations, it is smart to cover their asses. Plus, data transparency is a good thing for consumers like us. I don't mind the message, and think its smart to have it. Just in case, ya know...

enwez said:
LDUBS said:
gnappi said:
I'm wondering why this site gives the message...

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website

Is it hosted in the EU?

Unless it is , or the site is targeting EU inhabitants, I'm wondering why the message. From what I've learned if it's in fact in the U.S...

Why is the notification "This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website" seen on many websites?

This is the law is enforced by governing bodies in the EU. So If you live outside of the EU, have a website hosted on a server outside of the EU, and are targeting consumers anywhere other than the EU, you don’t need a cookie consent notice.

The Main intention of this is:
Let users know if they are using cookies.
Explain what data is gathered through the use of cookies and how that data is used.
Gather user consent to the use of cookies.

There's is no explanation of WHAT data is being collected nor how it's used, am I missing something? Also, without cookies you cannot save your login, so if anyone is unclear that cookies are used I don't get it.

Hey, you never know. They fish for trout & ditch pickles out of tin boats in Switzerland! :LOL2: Actually I didn't know this was only an EU rule. I'm guessing it is just better to be on the safe side, but really have no idea.

The EU has much better data privacy laws than the US, hence the message. While certain sites technically may not need the message, it is a good idea to have it for peace of mind. A lot of companies get in legal trouble over privacy data laws sanctioned by the EU. While I couldn't imagine tinboats needed one, or ever being sued for data violations, it is smart to cover their asses. Plus, data transparency is a good thing for consumers like us. I don't mind the message, and think its smart to have it. Just in case, ya know...

No I don't know, it's not any smarter than a 4 way stop sign, or speed bumps where a speed limit is posted.

Here's A "proper" EU warning about use of cookies:

By clicking on an item or other link on the website or Accept, you agree to the use of cookies and other technologies to process your personal data to enhance and personalise your experience across the eBay portfolio of brands, including eBay or third-party advertising tailored to you, on and off our sites. Additionally, third-party companies, who we partner with, may store cookies on your device and use similar technologies to collect and use certain information for advertising personalisation, measurement and analytics. Learn more, including how to manage your privacy settings.

Which I would not accept or otherwise agree with. YMMV.

I guess I am not smart enough to understand what all of the issues are about.

For many years, as far as I know, every site that I went to was adding "cookies" to my computer/phone/Chromebook. I could tell that they HAD been there.... because every time I cleaned my computer with CCleaner, I had to log in again everywhere.

Then a year or so ago, Europe got fussy and made most sites TELL us about the cookies that had already been there. For me, NO BIG DEAL. The price I pay to have free sites is that they use and sell my data. NO BIG DEAL, for me.

If you want FREE, you pay for it somehow. If you don't want a particular site to use and sell your data... and use cookies, then just don't go there. They are NOT going to change their way of business for one subscriber more or less.

Much ado about nothing for this old codger.

gnappi said:
enwez said:
LDUBS said:

No I don't know, it's not any smarter than a 4 way stop sign, or speed bumps where a speed limit is posted.

Here's A "proper" EU warning about use of cookies:

By clicking on an item or other link on the website or Accept, you agree to the use of cookies and other technologies to process your personal data to enhance and personalise your experience across the eBay portfolio of brands, including eBay or third-party advertising tailored to you, on and off our sites. Additionally, third-party companies, who we partner with, may store cookies on your device and use similar technologies to collect and use certain information for advertising personalisation, measurement and analytics. Learn more, including how to manage your privacy settings.

Which I would not accept or otherwise agree with. YMMV.

Well just like 4 way stop signs and speed bumps, I'd argue it depends on the context. The one you posted is a warning from a billion dollar company that has users from all over the world and a legal team that cost more than all our wages combined. Of course their warning will be more 'proper'. Plus, a message stating the website uses cookies, followed by a link to the website's terms, is in compliance with EU laws.

And when I say I agree with the message, I mean I agree with transparency concerning a company/org/gov and my personal data/property. I think it is a good thing that the EU mandates companies inform consumers about what they're doing with the data collected from their users. The message is the good thing. I'm not referring to how data is used/collected... that's a whole other discussion.

Tinboats will probably never need to have the message, but it should be there imo. At the very least to protect Tinboats from fines, but also because ethically all companies should inform users about their data polices.

richg99 said:
I guess I am not smart enough to understand what all of the issues are about.

For many years, as far as I know, every site that I went to was adding "cookies" to my computer/phone/Chromebook. I could tell that they HAD been there.... because every time I cleaned my computer with CCleaner, I had to log in again everywhere.

Then a year or so ago, Europe got fussy and made most sites TELL us about the cookies that had already been there. For me, NO BIG DEAL. The price I pay to have free sites is that they use and sell my data. NO BIG DEAL, for me.

If you want FREE, you pay for it somehow. If you don't want a particular site to use and sell your data... and use cookies, then just don't go there. They are NOT going to change their way of business for one subscriber more or less.

Much ado about nothing for this old codger.

Exactly rich; it has been this way forever. Just now websites in the EU need to let the users know about it. Which is a good thing imo.

This would be considered a "non-issue". Click the "got it" and done. Their are bigger fish to fry than that simple little message but I will succumb to Jim for the final answer on the subject as it is his toy and I am but just a cog in the wheel...so to speak. ;)

Seems there aren't any other issues from what I can tell so enjoy the upgraded forum and know this, it was not an easy task.

Salute!!

Alphawolf said:
Weldorthemagnificent said:
Tapatalk isn't working for me.
Tapatalk isn't installed. Jim is tossing it around in his head as there are known issues with it. This site is now fully responsive anyway so tapatalk may not be needed.

As far as the cookies go not seeing what the big deal is. Click on "Got it" and done. Shouldn't pop up again unless you delete the cookie for this site from the browser.

FWIW, phpBB is based in the UK.

Thanks for the reply.

richg99 said:
Not sure if this is different than before....but....I now get notifications for my OWN posts???

I don't remember that happening on the old system.

rich

Rich,
I noticed that too. I think it turned them on by default when the upgrade happened. Try this.......

1, Go to the User Control Panel, Then "Board Preferences".
2, On the left-hand side, click on "Edit notification options".
3, Check or uncheck what you want.

Let me know if that works for you.

Jim

Jim, I went to Notifications as you suggested. One marked for email notices said "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed". Obviously, I DO want those notifications by email.

Therefore, it seems to me that since I posted on a topic...--I--...am "SOMEONE replies to a topic to which you are subscribed".

Unless the system allows for some other way of limiting being notified about your own posts, I think we are stuck with it. Seems dumb to me.

The only other email notification that I had checked was for PMs.

All in all, this is the only area where this system seems to be lacking compared to the former.

rich

I kind of miss that there is no longer a preview of the last post from a forum's topics list page. Before, if I hovered over the "go to last post" button on the far right column of the topic list, a preview of the last post would show. Now it just says "go to last post".

LDUBS said:
I kind of miss that there is no longer a preview of the last post from a forum's topics list page. Before, if I hovered over the "go to last post" button on the far right column of the topic list, a preview of the last post would show. Now it just says "go to last post".
Let me check if that is a setting somewhere.

Jim

Jim said:
LDUBS said:

Jim

Jim, not that big a deal if it is a lot of work. New format makes "unread posts" stand out pretty well anyway.

Thanks for checking.

Larry

LDUBS said:
Jim said:
LDUBS said:

Jim

Jim, not that big a deal if it is a lot of work. New format makes "unread posts" stand out pretty well anyway.

Thanks for checking.

Larry
Hover over the topic title

Untitled.png

Testing Tapatalk
a92b9c1d12c400409124d2baf952c461.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm I may be wrong on this, but, under the old system, I thought that ....after I received an email notification of a post that I am involved in, that when I clicked on the LINK, that the system opened up on the newest addition to the thread.

I think, on the new system, it opens up at the TOP (oldest) post in the thread, then you have to move down to the newest post.

Am I crazy, or is there a setting that I have incorrect?
rich

ADDED: I may have "fixed" it by changing my Display Options to Descending. We shall see.

Looks like the latest update to the tapatalk app really made things more responsive, at least to me.

I am glad we are moving in the right direction.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts