Where do I buy a new trailer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
My current trailer, a Bear, for my G3 1756SC took another dump on me. This time it's the bottom bunks, out of nowhere, one side bunk just rotted when I was trying to put the boat on the trailer after a few hours of fishing. I replaced the side bunks a month ago. I always check the trailer after launching and before launching.
Anyway, along with long term problems with wiring, I went to LEDs about 6 months ago but that didn't help, just another issue.
I'd like to purchase a new, reliable trailer. Must have a removable tongue for storage.
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.

You might want to get a price having your trailer repaired. A weld shop could do it. If it isn't badly rusted, it can be fixed cheaper than buying new. They can weld on a swing away tongue.

CedarRiverScooter said:
You might want to get a price having your trailer repaired. A weld shop could do it. If it isn't badly rusted, it can be fixed cheaper than buying new. They can weld on a swing away tongue.

I'll get a pic of the condition ASAP. I honestly think it's just a matter of new lumber to replace the old. The bunks are plastic covered.

the hammer said:
CedarRiverScooter said:

I'll get a pic of the condition ASAP. I honestly think it's just a matter of new lumber to replace the old. The bunks are plastic covered.

My photos showed nothing. Very nice lady at Bear, provided info. Regular 2x4 wrapped plastic sheathing. Just going to be a matter of going to the ramp, launching the boat and putting the whole shebang together.

There was another thread a while back that talked about how some of us view boat trailers as a necessary evil.

Anyway, it sounds like you have an easy and relatively inexpensive solution.

LDUBS said:
There was another thread a while back that talked about how some of us view boat trailers as a necessary evil.

Yeah! How often does that happen in a conversation about boats! :LOL2:

LDUBS said:

Well, it was until I got under the boat to take a closer look!

LDUBS said:
the hammer said:
Well, it was until I got under the boat to take a closer look!

Uh oh, sounds like you didn't dodge a bullet here.

I'm going to replace the lumber on bunks, have plastic sheathing to cover it. Due for tires and the leaf springs and hubs are due too.
Spoke with a boat dealer to get a ball park number. Came in about between $900 and $1200, which is about what I thought it would be. It's about what I paid in 2011 (you know, adjusted for inflation).

Yikes! Seems like it is always something. I've replaced axle & leaf springs before. It was fairly straightforward. I guess it depends on if you like doing stuff yourself. For some things I do and for others, I'm happy to pay someone.

Have you priced a new trailer? I've never bought a trailer outright. Curious what one might cost.

$1,200. New lights, wiring, springs, axle, hubs, tires, hitch, winch, winch strap and a rust free frame. All you have to do is hook it up and drive it home. No headaches. Spend your free time doing almost ANYTHING else. It’s a no brainer for me.

Scott F said:
$1,200. New lights, wiring, springs, axle, hubs, tires, hitch, winch, winch strap and a rust free frame. All you have to do is hook it up and drive it home. No headaches. Spend your free time doing almost ANYTHING else. It’s a no brainer for me.

If I were going to keep the boat, I would probably spring for new. I don't think that's the route I'm going to take. I decided to get into something smaller, many reasons.
That said, I have to ask, is there anything I need to do to the 2x4s before I wrap them in carpet to replace the old bunks?
Thanks

OK, in my opinion, it isn't really worth it to try to coat the 2x4's. 2x lumber is pretty cheap. You could probably replace them a few times for the cost of whatever WP paint, varnish, etc material you would use to coat them.

Latest posts