Ladders... I'm using ladders.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixelshaman

Reaction score
I'm cheap, lazy, and don't have a garage. I did these in photoshop with two 8' ladders at scale using all the pieces and it fit well. I think this will work. Which layout do you like? I think I prefer option 2 with less decking.

boat1.gif
boat-smla.gif

It's certainly some out of the box thinking, but I'm curious, is it really cheaper/easier to buy a ladder and cut up? Unless you're just laying the ladder down and not securing it in any way, I feel the amount of effort and cost will still be cheaper to get some aluminum tubing and simply run it between the seats with some legs to the floor for support

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Awesome Idea. Have you thought abut decking the front half and just placing a floor in the midsection / stern? There are times you may prefer the floor for space. I've got a old ladder that I've been thinking of chopping up for the same purpose haha

It's good thinking. More often than not the profit margin on something like a ladder is much smaller than on the equivalent raw materials. Only concern would be strength... a step ladder is actually pretty weak in that direction... I'd test it before I did the whole boat...

I think that is really a pretty good idea. As far as voting, I kind of like SamuelH's idea.

I assume these are cut up step ladders. I'm thinking if you left the ladders intact, you could use them as hinges to open the entire deck! :LOL2:

After being a boat owner for over 30 years, if I bought a boat with all the decking and storage in the final draft of your plan, I’d tear most or all of it out to give me more floor space.

Scott F said:
After being a boat owner for over 30 years, if I bought a boat with all the decking and storage in the final draft of your plan, I’d tear most or all of it out to give me more floor space.
I respect your opinion but the boat in your profile pic has a deck? I want one just like yours so I can troll from up there and cast easier under trees and docks.

I'm adding a trolling motor up front so the decking is a must. I don't want an intricate cage of L channel and a bunch of hole drilling and riveting. I'm using thicker C channels (aluminum ladders) resting on L channels attached to the side faces of the benches with no desire for an undercarriage and separate compartments. I want light, simple, sturdy, and easily removable. The ladders already have cross braces(steps) with heavy rivets and depending on the ladder you can get extra corner bracing. I could put latches on the deck corners to hold the whole thing down or fasten it all underneath. I mainly fish 9.9hp and electric only lakes that stay pretty mellow, no chop.

The boat currently sits like this, a G3 1448lw.

g34.jpg
boat-lad.jpg
g34a.jpg

Typical step-to-step spacing of a ladder is 11 inches. If a single rung is 1-1/2" tall, that makes all of your hatches 9-1/2" wide. Add a 1/2" lip on all sides for the hatch door to rest on and your opening is now only 8-1/2".

I think you can install aluminum square tube or even aluminum I-beam at a lower cost than a ladder with less work. A ladder is tapered from top to bottom requiring you to make all of your cuts at an angle and to set your aluminum channel supports at different heights. A ladder is more cumbersome to cut than tubing or I-beam. Tubing or I-beam gives you a lot more flexibility in designing storage space. 4 pieces of tubing or I-beam between bench seats gives plenty of support.

I'm lucky and have a huge metals supplier within half an hour away that will have everything needed in stock and I pay wholesale prices. If you can't do that where you are, a ladder might become less expensive. Call these guys on Monday if you're interested in pricing. They can price a small number of items over the phone. https://metals.shopjfi.com/?l=1

Here’s a picture of my boat. Mostly open floor space.

Attachments

• 7943C65C-F48C-40FB-8188-946E3805C779.jpeg
    7943C65C-F48C-40FB-8188-946E3805C779.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,065
  • F028502B-D8A1-4099-B5E5-77A7D9C6C269.jpeg
    F028502B-D8A1-4099-B5E5-77A7D9C6C269.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,065
If I was going to try this I'd be more inclined to find an extension ladder.. parallel sides.. significantly stronger rails... Buy an old one off craigslist:

I'm sure you'd find similar near you:
https://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/d/lebanon-24-extension-ladder/7021122472.html

https://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/d/gordonsville-werner-24ft-aluminum/7024383074.html

You won't find that much aluminum anywhere for less...

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
You will need vertical supports.

Even though I'm not crazy about the ladder idea, I don't think vertical supports will be needed. It looks like the span is under 4 feet. With 4 aluminum channels the depth of a ladder rail, I think it can span that distance. Especially with the ladder rungs attached to prevent the channels from rolling. I'd stand on it. Working in the trades, we've used extension ladder sections laid on their side for scaffold planks with a piece of plywood on top. OSHA wouldn't approve and I wouldn't do it at a height that would likely result in serious injury. If I needed to work only a couple of feet off the floor, an extension ladder laid on a couple of sawhorses works.

Don't try this at home.

You guys might be overthinking this a little... a typical extension ladder at 5 foot span with decking screwed on top will work great...

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1309&bih=670&ei=JDvdXcuMFIfmsAWJ1Zn4Cg&q=ice+crevasse+ladder&oq=ice+crevasse+ladder&gs_l=img.3...1892.7326..7520...0.0..0.215.1423.18j0j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0j0i5i30j0i8i30j0i10i24j0i30.x3izsNv1o58&ved=0ahUKEwjLrry9j4jmAhUHM6wKHYlqBq8Q4dUDCAU&uact=5#imgrc=_&spf=1574779693283

those ladders they use are nothing special... but it has to be an extension ladder.. with the round rungs.... not some cheesy step ladder... like in that close up photo..
http://melonpeel.com/rcpics/g34a.jpg

As usual, ask 100 guys and get 100 opinions
I like the idea of using ladders for support, after all, its just a floor not the next shuttle craft for interstellar flight!.
I like to re-purpose things too. The ladders are aluminum, like the boat. They will add 4 inches to the height of the floor and support the plywood just fine.
I'm not a big fan of full decking but putting a floor in is still a good idea.
I think you're on the right track and should proceed with your original plan.

maintenanceguy said:
RiverBottomOutdoors said:
You will need vertical supports.

Even though I'm not crazy about the ladder idea, I don't think vertical supports will be needed. It looks like the span is under 4 feet. With 4 aluminum channels the depth of a ladder rail, I think it can span that distance. Especially with the ladder rungs attached to prevent the channels from rolling. I'd stand on it. Working in the trades, we've used extension ladder sections laid on their side for scaffold planks with a piece of plywood on top. OSHA wouldn't approve and I wouldn't do it at a height that would likely result in serious injury. If I needed to work only a couple of feet off the floor, an extension ladder laid on a couple of sawhorses works.

Don't try this at home.

He is using cheap folding ladders, not extension ladders. Big difference. A folding ladder is essentially a simple truss and gets its strength from its shape (triangle).

Latest posts